Alaska Sun Cruises Missing

Cruiser933

I was just going to post the same thing.  The website doesn't show the Sun sailing until November 2020 in the Caribbean.  I wonder where the Sun will be all Summer?  We were planning on cancelling Sept. 2020 Alaska before final payment next month, but I'm guessing it will be done for us.  Anyone know anything more about the Sun?

Following - I am booked on the Sun on its repositioning from Alaska to San Diego in October, on it's way to the Caribbean.  Just finished telling my TA to apply my "flexible" fcc to the unpaid balance - didn't want to reschedule because I had better perks.  Arghhhh

Be optimistic, probably all sold out.  Not a big ship, all that bargain FCC out there looking for a home.  Then there's the investors hoping they get cancelled, get that 25% return in the form of FCC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Be optimistic, probably all sold out.  Not a big ship, all that bargain FCC out there looking for a home.  Then there's the investors hoping they get cancelled, get that 25% return in the form of FCC.

Definitely not sold out, unless they got a charter deal somehow.  More likely they are going to do what they did when they wanted to put the Star in dry-dock - assuming they are even planning on Alaska at all in 2020.  They just moved all the passengers to another ship with a similar schedule.

17 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Doubtful, our May cruise had plenty of rooms available earlier this week, I'm pretty sure people aren't signing up for an Alaska cruise that won't float.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Definitely not sold out, unless they got a charter deal somehow.  More likely they are going to do what they did when they wanted to put the Star in dry-dock - assuming they are even planning on Alaska at all in 2020.  They just moved all the passengers to another ship with a similar schedule.

I think that's the most likely scenario. NCL had four ships scheduled in Alaska this year. No way they're going fill all those cabins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

i have a feeling that cruislines are going to follow carnival in blocking out certain amount of rooms/pax per sailing .  as to appease the cdc. 

Since all of the scheduled cruises have disappeared, I would think this ship just isn't going to Alaska this year.

• Like 1

Since all of the scheduled cruises have disappeared, I would think this ship just isn't going to Alaska this year.

could be , or just sold out . has any ones been canceled? 

I cancelled my 12 day on the Sun to Alaska for August back in March. There were plenty of cabins available .....checked today and not a one available to book and not because it’s sold out . They are done and not going anywhere. Glad I cancelled outside 120 days .... 

Edited by tallnthensome

57 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Not remotely the case ...my cruise was priced at more than $2000 than what I booked at .... it’s done and gone. There were plenty of cabins left ..... 

The Sun's May 1st repositioning cruise from Port Canaveral to Seattle was cancelled. She is now off the coast of Jacksonville, FL. If they send her to Alaska later in the season she will go through the Panama Canal. I doubt there be enough paying passengers on her to cover the cost of the transit. The Bliss also cancelled their April NYC-Seattle repo cruise. Will the Bliss be the next ship to see Alaska cruises disappear? Both the Joy and Jewel are docked in LA. They could be easily positioned for Alaska cruises (if the season opens up). Just my opinion.

I don't think they are sold out, I was on the last Alaska cruise, 15 days from Vancouver to San Diego in October, it's also gone and that can't be sold out. 

Even the reposition through the Panama Canal after ours is also gone so it looks very like a reposition.

Edited by ziggyuk

21 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Not remotely the case ...my cruise was priced at more than $2000 than what I booked at .... it’s done and gone. There were plenty of cabins left ..... 

Was just being sarcastically optimistic for all the happy talk people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruiser933 said:

My reservation is still showing, but Alaska cruises this year on the sun are no longer available to book. No idea if this is a temporary glitch or if cancellations are coming.

It's probably the latter. The cruise sales are being put on hold while it is cancelled. 

wrt your reservation showing, that is normal. I have a cruise next week which was cancelled a few weeks back. It still shows up in my MyNCL account. I already have my FCC for it in my account. 

43 minutes ago, akmarshall said:

The Sun's May 1st repositioning cruise from Port Canaveral to Seattle was cancelled. She is now off the coast of Jacksonville, FL. If they send her to Alaska later in the season she will go through the Panama Canal. I doubt there be enough paying passengers on her to cover the cost of the transit. The Bliss also cancelled their April NYC-Seattle repo cruise. Will the Bliss be the next ship to see Alaska cruises disappear? Both the Joy and Jewel are docked in LA. They could be easily positioned for Alaska cruises (if the season opens up). Just my opinion.

I don't think all ships will start sailing at the same time.  It makes sense that they would be looking at where ships are now and then decide which ships/itineraries would be most likely to sail when cruising is ready to (slowly?) start  up again.   

Also, if only some ships will begin sailing, which will bring more profit per cruise?

• Like 2

Here is what I received today:

0?ui=2&ik=fa1879db13&attid=0.2&permmsgid

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

As a result of fleet redeployment, all sailings on Norwegian Sun from May 21, 2020 through October 18, 2020 have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Due to the cancelations, guests who were scheduled to sail between May 21, 2020 through August 12, 2020 will have the following options:

' All guests will receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit worth 125% of the fare paid, which will be valid for a period of one year and can be applied to any future published sailing through December 31, 2022. All future cruise credits will be available April 20, 2020. Additionally, guests who rebook their vacation by April 27, 2020 for any sailing beginning October 1, 2020 will receive a 20% discount off the voyage fare.

' For guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/sun-alaska-form. The form will be made available beginning April 20, 2020 and must be submitted by April 27, 2020.

In conjunction with the cancelation of the Norwegian Sun voyages, we have significantly reduced our rates for Alaska cruises in July, August and September across the three vessels that will continue to sail Alaska - Norwegian Joy, Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Jewel. We urge you to review the pricing on those dates, as you will find extremely favorable fares.

If you have any questions, please contact us at (800) 327-7030, visit us at www.ncl.com or contact your travel professional.

As always, your business is important to Norwegian Cruise Line. We remain dedicated to providing our guests with the best travel experiences across the globe.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

A one week window to complete the refund request form, and then the 90 day delay to receive the refund.  And still peddling the Alaska cruise as beginning in July, dangling the carrot with the reduced fares, getting folks to still put down deposits into NCL dwindling bank accounts.  I guess this is the desperate way NCL must do business for now.  They all are struggling for survival.  But with the virus not even peaking here in Tennessee probably until mid June, and that is only a peak, not anywhere near a recovery, I wish they would get honest with the probabilities, stop encouraging folks to give them money for something so unlikely.  My opinion.  

• Like 2

😭😭

Never been in this situation before, as I have only paid a deposit I assume the 125% is going to pretty valuless.

I had a FFC due to an issue on a previous cruise and also a cruise next credit, does anyone know in these just get credited back to my account with the original expiry dates?

What worries me is the FCC had 2 years to book a cruise and expired on 11th May 2020 so would only be valid for about 3 weeks if it has the same original expiry date. 

It's unfortunate that they cancelled the better itineraries that the Sun had (11-day r/t Seattle). We cruised Alaska on a 7-day Glacier Bay itinerary on the Joy in September. I just priced out what it would cost for the same itinerary (on the Bliss this time) in September this year. The price is about the same. Not sure I would call that a significant price reduction.

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

Here is what I received today:

0?ui=2&ik=fa1879db13&attid=0.2&permmsgid

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice.

As a result of fleet redeployment, all sailings on Norwegian Sun from May 21, 2020 through October 18, 2020 have been canceled. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

Due to the cancelations, guests who were scheduled to sail between May 21, 2020 through August 12, 2020 will have the following options:

' All guests will receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit worth 125% of the fare paid, which will be valid for a period of one year and can be applied to any future published sailing through December 31, 2022. All future cruise credits will be available April 20, 2020. Additionally, guests who rebook their vacation by April 27, 2020 for any sailing beginning October 1, 2020 will receive a 20% discount off the voyage fare.

' For guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the 125% future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of completing the request form at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission/sun-alaska-form. The form will be made available beginning April 20, 2020 and must be submitted by April 27, 2020.

In conjunction with the cancelation of the Norwegian Sun voyages, we have significantly reduced our rates for Alaska cruises in July, August and September across the three vessels that will continue to sail Alaska - Norwegian Joy, Norwegian Bliss and Norwegian Jewel. We urge you to review the pricing on those dates, as you will find extremely favorable fares.

If you have any questions, please contact us at (800) 327-7030, visit us at www.ncl.com or contact your travel professional.

As always, your business is important to Norwegian Cruise Line. We remain dedicated to providing our guests with the best travel experiences across the globe.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

This is what we got....        

Due to these cancelations, guests who were scheduled to sail between August 13, 2020 through October 18, 2020 will receive a 100% refund of the fare paid which will be reimbursed to the original form of payment. Additionally, guests who rebook their vacation by April 27, 2020 for any sailing beginning October 1, 2020 will receive a 20% discount off the voyage fare.

If you have questions regarding this matter, please contact us at (800) 327-7030, visit us at www.ncl.com or contact your travel professional.

As always, your business is important to Norwegian Cruise Line and we appreciate your trust in us. We remain dedicated to providing our guests with the best travel experiences across the globe.

Edited by smileyjannie