Children’s Menus

Mid lifers

Best cruise lines for kids are:

Carnival waterpark that is best for kids under 10

RCCL (best for kids ages 7 and up with ice skating, climbing walls, surfing, zip lining) Most Oasis class ships are idea for older kids and teens with great family shows as well.

NCL (full scale waterpark good for all ages but limitations on height for the slides and ropes course)

Disney (especially best for younger children ages 4 -  10)

All ships buffets include pizza, hamburger, hotdogs, deli, pasta and other kid friendly items.

All ships restaurants have a kids menu, although I'd encourage my kids to try stuff from the regular menu instead since it is all included.

Incidentally, unless your friend has full custody, he will need a notarized letter from his kids other parent that he can take them on the cruise.

Edited by SuiteTraveler
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Incidentally, unless your friend has full custody, he will need a notarized letter from his kids other parent that he can take them on the cruise.

For the OP, when your friend decides on a cruise, they need to tell the cruise line the situation with having kids along. The cruise line will have established policy and procedures that need to be followed. They have done it many times before.

• Like 1

If you're Beverley E. Yorks, then probably P&O or Cunard: great clubs for children and there will be plenty of choice for food- P&O has a special tea for them each day (probably Cunard does too). 

And you can always ask for chips wherever you're eating!

It might be easier to go with a British managed line for the first time.

Also look at Marella-  that's Thomson under another name...

Edited by jocap
Addition
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jocap said:

If you're Beverley E. Yorks, then probably P&O or Cunard: great clubs for children and there will be plenty of choice for food- P&O has a special tea for them each day (probably Cunard does too). 

And you can always ask for chips wherever you're eating!

It might be easier to go with a British managed line for the first time.

Also look at Marella-  that's Thomson under another name...

i’ve replied to all of the help i’ve received from you guys, but i can’t see them 🤔

Anyway just another little question- Where would be a good first cruise for him & his children? i thought mediterranean, but from Southampton the Bay if Bisque can be a bit rough & 2/3 days at sea straight away !

1 hour ago, Mid lifers said:

i’ve replied to all of the help i’ve received from you guys, but i can’t see them 🤔

Anyway just another little question- Where would be a good first cruise for him & his children? i thought mediterranean, but from Southampton the Bay if Bisque can be a bit rough & 2/3 days at sea straight away !

Allure of the Seas out of Barcelona through OCT. Awesome ship for him and the kids.  I know as of last week part of Oct. had kids sail free. 

Would that be October school holidays though ? He was looking for Easter next year but i guess if he finds the right one he would go in a different half term. He really doesn’t want to fly though (guess trying to watch 3 children on your own) & would be easier to drive

20 hours ago, Mid lifers said:

I must have been through the Bay of Biscay 20+ times- even had a cruise entirely within it- and can only remember it being rough twice, which I love... I only remember it because my husband does get a bit queasy! That includes January and Feb... Often the ship will stop at a port in Northern Spain, or Portugal, so it's not always 3 days into the Med.

The Oct half term doesn't give him much wriggle room, being only a week, so yes, have a look at the Easter holidays.

I suggest P&O's Britannia, or their brand new ship Iona. There won't be many more ships in Southampton, as most don't return from the Caribbean until late April/May.

Edited by jocap
sp.

Princess has a great kids program. Dining room has a good kids menu and the buffets have lots of kid friendly options. On the Royal, they had a section of the buffet for "kid friendly" foods (plain pasta, mac and cheese, etc). Kids clubs are for ages 3 and up and my kids (now 6 and 8 ) are crazy about the kids clubs.

• Like 1

His old are the kids? The mass market cruise lines have good kids clubs, starting at 2 or 3, depending on the line. Some have nurseries, some don’t. Only RCCL and DCL have splash areas for diapered kids. Children are welcome in the MDR and there are kids menus (they can order off of the regular ones). The newer bigger ships have more bells and whistles like waterslides, bumper cars, go carts, ropes courses, surfing - the ages of the kids would determine what bells and whistles would be most appropriate.

I think it must of been RC i saw a separate buffet area for children, i couldn’t remember as been on a few cruises myself, but never needed to go in school holidays so i can’t give an opinion to him.

in answe to the other reply, his children are older & quite active so would enjoy sports & clubs.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 9:01 PM, thegoaliegirl said:

Princess has a great kids program. Dining room has a good kids menu and the buffets have lots of kid friendly options. On the Royal, they had a section of the buffet for "kid friendly" foods (plain pasta, mac and cheese, etc). Kids clubs are for ages 3 and up and my kids (now 6 and 8 ) are crazy about the kids clubs.

P&O (UK) and Princess are both excellent ex-Southampton with children.  The kids club rules are radically different with each of these and depending on children's ages either could be a better choice in this respect.  There are of course a lot more reasons to select one over the other.

Regards John

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 12:09 AM, cb at sea said:

ALL MDR's cater to kids.  EVERY SINGLE cruise line has "children's menus" if they want kid fayre.....you may bring any child, into the MDR.  

My plan has always been to use the kid's menu as a back stop.  You are paying good money for the children to travel and I have always discussed the main menu with children to see if there is anything they might like. This has worked from 6 years old to 17 years old.  If they dislike the chosen option I have told them just leave it and sit quietly.  waiters typically notice and offer solutions including children's menu and starters as a main and if this all fails up to the Buffet sometime later in the evening. 

Regards John