When will those over 70 be able to Cruise again?

Trevor33

There are a few problems that will continue to have adverse effects on future cruising.

1. Flying to a port for embarkation. Will the airlines have stringent policies that keep at risk passengers (either those with a potential disease or those so-called at risk passengers) off planes.

2. How can a cruise ship (or plane) keep the Corona-Virus off a ship (or plane) if the virus a) has an incubation period of a number of days and b) some people are asymptomatic (not even a fever). Seems to me it is impossible.

For me ..... with over 40 cruises and being over70,  I may have cruised my last. 

Good luck and good health to all those that will roll the dice.

• Like 1

Absent development of a generally effective vaccine, or the prolonged absence of ANY reported cases of COVID 19, any intelligent person (and especially those over 70) will continue to practice some degree of social distancing - meaning unnecessary crowd encounters should be avoided.  Going on a cruise might be considered such an unnecessary crowd encounter —- and going on a cruise where one had to fly to and from the port, even more clearly so.

I think the long term survival of the mass market cruise industry will depend upon such development or prolonged absence.

1 hour ago, Empehi said:

There are a few problems that will continue to have adverse effects on future cruising.

1. Flying to a port for embarkation. Will the airlines have stringent policies that keep at risk passengers (either those with a potential disease or those so-called at risk passengers) off planes.

2. How can a cruise ship (or plane) keep the Corona-Virus off a ship (or plane) if the virus a) has an incubation period of a number of days and b) some people are asymptomatic (not even a fever). Seems to me it is impossible.

For me ..... with over 40 cruises and being over70,  I may have cruised my last. 

Good luck and good health to all those that will roll the dice.

You make a lot of good points especially the one about asymptomatic people.  Even pre-boarding testing done on each and every passenger would be impractical as there's in transit infection to consider.  A person who is negative on Monday at embarkation could pick up an infection while on the plane to port and be positive on Wednesday.  

Maybe this COVID-19 situation may reverse anti-vaccination zealotry.  We've gone backwards in terms of public health because too many people believe that vaccines are 1) inherently dangerous, 2) immune system support is more than adequate, or 3) vaccination programs are motivated by greed among governments and vaccine makers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

You make a lot of good points especially the one about asymptomatic people.  Even pre-boarding testing done on each and every passenger would be impractical as there's in transit infection to consider.  A person who is negative on Monday at embarkation could pick up an infection while on the plane to port and be positive on Wednesday.  

Maybe this COVID-19 situation may reverse anti-vaccination zealotry.  We've gone backwards in terms of public health because too many people believe that vaccines are 1) inherently dangerous, 2) immune system support is more than adequate, or 3) vaccination programs are motivated by greed among governments and vaccine makers.

I could not agree more with your last paragraph. I find it mind numbing that people take such ridiculous positions that endanger the public. I queue up early for my over 60 super flu shot each fall. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

Agreed - it is disturbing how the new generation of Luddites are trying to impose their views - and the ills which come with them - upon everyone else. Water fluoridation was one target, then DPT vaccines.   Fortunately more jurisdictions are doing away with the “religious exemption” folks used to claim for failing to comply with school vaccination requirements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Dead Easy to answer...

When cruise lines once more start their operations.

It ain't rocket science.

It may not be as easy that, if you go against your government's travel advice, then one will not be insured. Which really would be stupid thing to do !

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-70s-and-at-risk-brits-advised-against-travelling-on-cruise-ships

Edited by Pennbank
re worded
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

No I have not managed the art of quoting,  and have no reason to specifically learn.

How odd that you have to obtain screen shots of original posts. 

Who's arguing about countries governments, we have many posters from different countries adding to the same thread.

But I would have thought that the answer to the OP question would be that we have to wait and see, It must depend on your countries travel advice as   I have said above to your original reply . Only a fool would travel without Travel Insurance. We all know that the insurance will get out of paying out. So if your countries travel advice is not to travel for specific reasons, then that obviously should  be adhered to and one would not be prepared to travel.

If I was in charge of Marketing for Carnival the first thing I would do to get business is to offer free comprehensive cruise insurance on all my ships for 2021 cruises...….they may need to add to the basic cruise price but they should have the fire power to get a good deal off the insurance companies so that prices do not increase too much.

9 minutes ago, Alanxx said:

If I was in charge of Marketing for Carnival the first thing I would do to get business is to offer free comprehensive cruise insurance on all my ships for 2021 cruises...….they may need to add to the basic cruise price but they should have the fire power to get a good deal off the insurance companies so that prices do not increase too much.

May be a good idea for some, but not those with Annual Travel Insurance policies who have already paid the premium. Some annual policies once you are in will not allow an opt out, for you to rejoin the scheme one was in, again !

Edited by Pennbank

1 minute ago, Alanxx said:

Unlimited Comprehensive Cover with no excess for each guest for deliberate travel to a Country with a potential infectious disease.  Think the premiums would be unacceptable to the Cruise Line bean counters,

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Unlimited Comprehensive Cover with no excess for each guest for deliberate travel to a Country with a potential infectious disease.  Think the premiums would be unacceptable to the Cruise Line bean counters,

Actually Saga do just that with both their cruises and shore holidays:it's included in the  headline price.

When I book with them I usually decline their insurance and they give a reduced price. 

I've just extracted my last invoice for a suite on Saga's Spirit of Discovery last December for 16 nights and my wife and I were credited £98.00 each for declining their insurance.

Edited by Solent Richard

47 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Given the recent publicity of "plague ships"  being denied disembarkation it's very unlikely that any cruise company would sail to a country seriously affected by an infectious disease.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

34 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Actually Saga do just that with both their cruises and shore holidays:it's included in the  headline price.

When I book with them I usually decline their insurance and they give a reduced price. 

I've just extracted my last invoice for a suite on Saga's Spirit of Discovery last December for 16 nights and my wife and I were credited £98.00 each for declining their insurance.

Saga from 6pm  13th March   have now  excluded COVID-19 caused by or relating to. ! some other company policies like AXA will still cover if you get ill  through COVID- 19 though as long as you are not travelling against Foreign Office Advice here in the UK.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please not, from 6pm on 13th March 2020, any new Saga Travel Insurance policies will not provide cover for any claim caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please note, from 6pm on 13th March 2020, any new Saga Travel Insurance policies will not provide cover for any claim caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 14.23.48.png

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 14.29.18.png

Edited by Pennbank
worded

2 hours ago, Pennbank said:

Saga from 6pm  13th March   have now  excluded COVID-19 caused by or relating to. ! some other company policies like AXA will still cover if you get ill  through COVID- 19 though as long as you are not travelling against Foreign Office Advice here in the UK.

2 hours ago, Pennbank said:

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please not, from 6pm on 13th March 2020, any new Saga Travel Insurance policies will not provide cover for any claim caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please note, from 6pm on 13th March 2020, any new Saga Travel Insurance policies will not provide cover for any claim caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 14.23.48.png

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 14.29.18.png

Frankly I don't blame them introducing a caveat.

And as I stated, our cruise with them was reduced by £98.00 per person: more than half of what we pay annually.

And now you know why I tagged that earlier line in.

7 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Dead Easy to answer...

When cruise lines once more start their operations.

It ain't rocket science.

😈😈

Your Rocket Science seems to be a little "Apollo 13".........Let me explain.... The question was that of the post title. People over 70 in certain countries are advised against cruise travel going forward .........therefore they may well not be able to travel "When cruise lines once more start their operations". It ain't rocket science ....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Trevor33 said:

Your Rocket Science seems to be a little "Apollo 13".........Let me explain.... The question was that of the post title. People over 70 in certain countries are advised against cruise travel going forward .........therefore they may well not be able to travel "When cruise lines once more start their operations". It ain't rocket science ....

Good evening Trevor.

Do let me explain. My answer was in response to the OP which, as I recall, said...

A very high proportion of the cruise passengers have been those into retirement and aged 70 or above. When will those over 70 be able to cruise again? Without their patronage the cruise lines will probably have to find 30-40% more passengers until after a vaccine has been produced and all have had the injection. Profits of cruise lines rely on full ships cruising every day of the year’.

...which didn’t mention ‘...in certain countries’.

Being domiciled in the United Kingdom, that’s where I tend to base my views.

My original response remains extant. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good evening Trevor.

Do let me explain. My answer was in response to the OP which, as I recall, said...

A very high proportion of the cruise passengers have been those into retirement and aged 70 or above. When will those over 70 be able to cruise again? Without their patronage the cruise lines will probably have to find 30-40% more passengers until after a vaccine has been produced and all have had the injection. Profits of cruise lines rely on full ships cruising every day of the year’.

...which didn’t mention ‘...in certain countries’.

Being domiciled in the United Kingdom, that’s where I tend to base my views.

My original response remains extant. 

I am not sure you are correct. Some people sometimes get so serious over a futile message board, don't you think. 

13 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

I am not sure you are correct. Some people sometimes get so serious over a futile message board, don't you think. 

Good morning Trevor.

'Futile message Board"?

I'm particularly intrigued that you consider such 'message boards' as this as being 'futile' - (pointless or incapable of producing any useful results) with your current comment record and even more so as I note you have generated  at least 4 topics this month alone.

And you can rest assured I was correct. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Have a nice day. 

Richard

56 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Trevor.

'Futile message Board"?

I'm particularly intrigued that you consider such 'message boards' as this as being 'futile' - (pointless or incapable of producing any useful results) with your current comment record and even more so as I note you have generated  at least 4 topics this month alone.

And you can rest assured I was correct. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Have a nice day. 

Richard

I think futile is very harsh. Over many years, many people have said they have found much useful information here. Of course, at the moment, there is also much (fulite?)  speculation. This may as well be a personality test as to whether the poster is a pessimist, a realist, or an optimist, rather than the provision of facts. But nonetheless, historically, the board has been far from futile.

• Like 2

When will those over 70 be able to Cruise again?

Nobody knows the future, the cruise industry has had terrible PR re floating petri dishes etc, and some seasoned cruisers may not want to take the risk of being onboard if no vaccine is available. Insurers may not insure older cruisers or charge very high prices and that may stop them cruising. Governments around the World may loosen the lockdown slowly with the over 70s last and this maybe well into 2021. Governments will not want a 2nd or 3rd or more increase in Covid 19 numbers so the unlocking will be cautious hopefully. I am sure we cruisers (we are on the Cunard board) want to cruise again but it depends on - insurance costs, risk if no vaccine, but if an effective / safe vaccine then yes to return to cruising.