When will those over 70 be able to Cruise again?

Trevor33

If the over 70s or over 65s even stay away in the long term Cunard will go bust a number other lines will even the younger focused ones like NCL and Royal.

In terms of Cunard on the QM2 for the transatlantic crossings they have 2 types of customers  as the main base.The older crowd over 60 + lets say and the LGBT's who may be younger and who sometimes number dozens even a couple of hundred on a crossing. That is not a bigoted statement it is a statement of fact.  Without the older segment the LGBT numbers and loyalty would not be sufficient to sustain the QM2 transatlantic crossings in the short and medium term. A rebranding would be very difficult. I don't think for instance cruising with the real housewives of new york or the cast of made in chelsea would not be very effective in drawing in new people if the older segment stayed away.  Once you lose the transatlantic crossings you will lose the Cunard brand in my opinion.

FYI. The Housewives of name the city are all wealthy private schooled come from money and the cast of Made in Chelsea went to private school boarding school hang out in private members clubs costings hundreds a year. AKA Cunard people who have just never cruised before.

Lets pray that vaccine being tested at Oxford University works and maybe we can  be cruising for November because most people won't dare go onboard a ship without being vaccinated.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:53 PM, Solent Richard said:

Good evening Trevor.

Do let me explain. My answer was in response to the OP which, as I recall, said...

A very high proportion of the cruise passengers have been those into retirement and aged 70 or above. When will those over 70 be able to cruise again? Without their patronage the cruise lines will probably have to find 30-40% more passengers until after a vaccine has been produced and all have had the injection. Profits of cruise lines rely on full ships cruising every day of the year’.

...which didn’t mention ‘...in certain countries’.

Being domiciled in the United Kingdom, that’s where I tend to base my views.

My original response remains extant. 

On 4/17/2020 at 7:53 PM, Solent Richard said:

For Cunard to find an extra 30-40% of passengers would be very difficult in my opinion. Cunard is not a younger persons ship, not a drinking ship, not a party ship. I don't think using as I said in my post the Housewives of New York or Cheshire or the cast of made in chelsea or that ascot thing on ITV would be very effective in ramping up numbers to Cunard the way cruising with Jane McDonald may have done for princess. And you can't alter the ships drastically for instance putting climbing walls and slides and rope courses that's not Cunard and would cost millions to even attempt.

Hopefully a vaccine is on the way.

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

For Cunard to find an extra 30-40% of passengers would be very difficult in my opinion. Cunard is not a younger persons ship, not a drinking ship, not a party ship. I don't think using as I said in my post the Housewives of New York or Cheshire or the cast of made in chelsea or that ascot thing on ITV would be very effective in ramping up numbers to Cunard the way cruising with Jane McDonald may have done for princess. And you can't alter the ships drastically for instance putting climbing walls and slides and rope courses that's not Cunard and would cost millions to even attempt.

Hopefully a vaccine is on the way.

Add another 20% for the Grills revenue stream to the 30/40%, then sadly, it becomes even more serious for Cunard.

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Add another 20% for the Grills revenue stream to the 30/40%, then sadly, it becomes even more serious for Cunard.

I am sure the real housewives of new york will take one grills suite each. Ramona will take 3. In seriousness it will be real hard in the short for Cunard I fear. Decent deals about now for December but gonna be real hard.

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Trevor.

'Futile message Board"?

I'm particularly intrigued that you consider such 'message boards' as this as being 'futile' - (pointless or incapable of producing any useful results) with your current comment record and even more so as I note you have generated  at least 4 topics this month alone.

And you can rest assured I was correct. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Have a nice day. 

Richard

Hi SR, hope you are enjoying your weekend. A message Board is futile when you compare it to other happenings right now. Four posts or 40 posts it is not life changing. All a Message Board enables you to do is post your opinion( not always right or wrong) -  it is not a life changer but just something that is extant and not a statuesque determination of knowledge. 

It is quite clear to most of us that sadly those over 70 will not be able to just start cruising again. Unfortunately it is a lot more complex that that. It is more about when a vaccine is available, and when the Insurance companies are prepared to provide cover. Perhaps the cruise companies will start to include this?

No one is limiting their ability to travel. They can still sail with certain regulations (including the doctor letter) but they have no other restrictions. I mean, they themselves will be aware of travelling. They will not sail that eagerly. It doesnt sound good if you think about it. Many people , especially elderly were dreaming on starting to travel when they get old. I feel sad about them. Hope they will still travel

29 minutes ago, Trevor33 said:

It is quite clear to most of us that sadly those over 70 will not be able to just start cruising again. Unfortunately it is a lot more complex that that. It is more about when a vaccine is available, and when the Insurance companies are prepared to provide cover. Perhaps the cruise companies will start to include this?

Why ban over 70s, unless they have additional,conditions? Why not ban men, who seem to be pretty highly at risk?

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Why ban over 70s, unless they have additional,conditions? Why not ban men, who seem to be pretty highly at risk?

Why not go further with your premise, and also ban BEM, who appear to be the highest risk from the statistics provided by Government. Then add HIVsufferers, obese, diabetics, those with any conditions you wish to your "Ban Them" list.  What about foreigners, are you going to consider banning them also?

Edited by PORT ROYAL

No one should be talking about banning anyone. It is a well regarded fact(by most) that a high percentage of those that cruise are over 70. For many years they have helped support the cruise industry. Without their custom companies like Cunard will struggle to fill their current ships not to mention the next ship currently being built.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Trevor33 said:

No one should be talking about banning anyone. It is a well regarded fact(by most) that a high percentage of those that cruise are over 70. For many years they have helped support the cruise industry. Without their custom companies like Cunard will struggle to fill their current ships not to mention the next ship currently being built.

Eleven years from now I will join the 70 club.  It's good to note how I will be thought of by gaining this mllestone, with no consideration given the person, no consideration given for the thousands spent supporting the cruise industry for over 30 years, with in excess of 130 cruises.

Future contributions? 2020 - 4 to come; 2021- QM WC plus 4; 2022 QV WC; 2022/4 awaiting the new brochure.

35 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Why not go further with your premise, and also ban BEM, who appear to be the highest risk from the statistics provided by Government. Then add HIVsufferers, obese, diabetics, those with any conditions you wish to your "Ban Them" list.  What about foreigners, are you going to consider banning them also?

You may mean BAME. In any event, your post amply demonstrates, considerably better than mine, the absurdity of picking on a specific group.

• Like 1

To be honest this whole discussion seems pretty futile, started by the opening post.

How can anyone here possibly know when the over 70’s will be allowed to cruise again? (Most are already able to).

I done know when I’m going to be allowed to return to work, or go for a meal in a restaurant.

We don’t even know when the UK Prime minister will be fully back in office!

What pointless question to ask at this stage.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chelsea1 said:

To be honest this whole discussion seems pretty futile, started by the opening post.

How can anyone here possibly know when the over 70’s will be allowed to cruise again? (Most are already able to).

I done know when I’m going to be allowed to return to work, or go for a meal in a restaurant.

To someone that has enjoyed cruising and is over 70 it is a very important consideration as to when the advice may allow those over 70 to cruise again

It's highly unlikely Cunard or any cruise line will put an age restriction on their customers ( except maybe on the lower end .. under 6 months old etc). I feel they will, however, attempt to keep sick passenger that are contagous from boarding (as well they should). How this will unfold is what the cruise lines will have to determine.

A thought for the 'board' ..... with the vast majority of asymptomatic corona virus infected people being below 40 years old ... perhaps it would make more sense for Cunard to have over 55 or 60 year old cruises. If these people have the a virus,  most likely there would be symptoms that can be detected at time of boarding. An asymptomatic passenger may be much more  likely be infected with no symptoms and thus could infect the ship.

Of coarse, with the vast majority of the cruise staff being under 40, the cruise line must constantly be testing these people.

The solution will not be easy.

18 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

Hi SR, hope you are enjoying your weekend. A message Board is futile when you compare it to other happenings right now. Four posts or 40 posts it is not life changing. All a Message Board enables you to do is post your opinion( not always right or wrong) -  it is not a life changer but just something that is extant and not a statuesque determination of knowledge. 

Good morning Trevor.

I most certainly did enjoy my weekend here on the South Coast with superb weather for exercise and work on my allotment.

I actually prefer to call this facility a 'cruise forum' but I do agree that it enables folk to post their 'opinion'.

The problem however is when that 'opinion' isn't based on fact or is plainly illogical.

I'm sure you know what I mean. 

17 hours ago, Chelsea1 said:

Well said Chelsea 1.

I fully concur with your remarks.

Still, its been interesting reading some 'opinions'. 😈

23 hours ago, ace2542 said:

If the over 70s or over 65s even stay away in the long term Cunard will go bust a number other lines will even

There are people with various medical issues who depend on the QM2 Transatlantics, I suspect they would not meet medical criteria either.

34 minutes ago, resistk said:

There are people with various medical issues who depend on the QM2 Transatlantics, I suspect they would not meet medical criteria either.

If you look at the CDC list of people vulnerable to Covid-19, in addition to age it includes a host of underlying conditions including obesity, diabetes, COPD, and more.

That would pretty much clear out the ship if they started trying to ban high risk passengers.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

If you look at the CDC list of people vulnerable to Covid-19, in addition to age it includes a host of underlying conditions including obesity, diabetes, COPD, and more.

That would pretty much clear out the ship if they started trying to ban high risk passengers.

As well as sex and ethnic background.

• Like 1

Vaccine by the way is not an instant panacea.  It would take awhile to figure just how effective it is and if COVID has mutated in the mean time.  For example this year's regular flu vaccine was deemed only 50% effective and that was considered acceptable:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/season-s-flu-shot-45-percent-effective-improvement-over-last-n1139771

So if COVID hangs around and there is a vaccine - the problem is not erased.

10 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

And the cruise lines could dispense with their "Special Needs" departments since anybody with "special needs" will be considered unfit to sail.

Here is a question.  Would you cruise if you had to sign a waiver exempting Cunard from liability if you contracted covid-19 while on board?  If not, should Cunard allow you to sail if you are in a known risk group?

I would.  At least, probably.