govt quietly shortens cdc 100 day no sail order

seaman11

LOL we will see.  If cruising starts up even at the downward trend of a pandemic it would only be a matter of time of another outbreak on a ship.  People must travel and fly to the port which increases their chances at exposure.  If ships sail too early, it could hurt the cruise industry far worse than now because it would ground ships for a year.

Lets not jump the gun until its safe.  Its the best thing for cruising and its survival.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

I saw the original story posted in USA today, but there's no evidence that it's true. USA Today, and the story you've cited both reference the CDC's order being pulled from their website, but that is not true. The no-sail order is still on CDC's website exactly as originally published:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

I hate to use the term, as it's become meaningless political rhetoric, but the USA Today piece appears to be an actual example of "fake news".

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

LOL we will see.  If cruising starts up even at the downward trend of a pandemic it would only be a matter of time of another outbreak on a ship.  People must travel and fly to the port which increases their chances at exposure.  If ships sail too early, it could hurt the cruise industry far worse than now because it would ground ships for a year.

Lets not jump the gun until its safe.  Its the best thing for cruising and its survival.

if they do it right, slowly , select sailings and limit pax it will be fine, after all norweigan has only gotten 3 or so cases on board, imo its been way overblown as far as a cruise ship problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

Your post hit the board just as i was typing mine. The story, originally published in USA Today appears to be bogus. The order is still in place on the CDC website.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I saw the original story posted in USA today, but there's no evidence that it's true. USA Today, and the story you've cited both reference the CDC's order being pulled from their website, but that is not true. The no-sail order is still on CDC's website exactly as originally published:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0409-modifications-extension-no-sail-ships.html

I hate to use the term, as it's become meaningless political rhetoric, but the USA Toady piece appears to be an actual example of "fake news".

i think the govt wants things opened up fast.,i see a deal in the next month or so to allow a few cruises to go. i think this is leaked news, not really fake. 

Edited by seaman11

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i think the govt wants things opened up fast.,i see a deal in the next month or so to allow a few cruises to go. i think this is leaked news, not really fake. 

No, the story is wrong because the 100 days is still in the order. The order always had the provision that it could be ended early if CDC determines there is no longer a public health emergency.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

No, the story is wrong because the 100 days is still in the order. 

it says they softened the language around that.  

wrote Curtis Tate, Morgan Hines, Cara Kelly, and Brett Murphy. “When the no-sail order reappeared on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website hours later, its language had been softened: Ships can sail again in July, and an explicit warning that they could be docked even longer had been deleted

9 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

wrote Curtis Tate, Morgan Hines, Cara Kelly, and Brett Murphy. “When the no-sail order reappeared on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website hours later, its language had been softened: Ships can sail again in July, and an explicit warning that they could be docked even longer had been deleted

There's nothing in the order that says anything about July. That's just when the 100 days would end...in July. The order could be modified to end earlier, or modified to extend further. The order itself is an extension of an earlier order, and a new order could extend this one.

Actually your title for the thread is more misleading than the article. You title says "govt quietly shortens cdc 100 day no sail order". Nope...sorry..not so. It's still a 100 day order. Why don't you try reading the order:

If you don't want to, just read this excerpt:

This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations. First, the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.  Second, the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations.  Or third, 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There's nothing in the order that says anything about July. That's just when the 100 days would end...in July. The order could be modified to end earlier, or modified to extend further. The order itself is an extension of an earlier order, and a new order could extend this one.

Actually your title for the thread is more misleading than the article. You title says "govt quietly shortens cdc 100 day no sail order". Nope...sorry..not so. It's still a 100 day order. Why don't you try reading the order:

If you don't want to, just read this excerpt:

This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of three situations. First, the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.  Second, the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations.  Or third, 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

how so ,when the title of the headline itself says  

quietly shortened CDC’s no-sail order for cruise ships: report

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

who so ,when the title of the headline itself says  

quietly shortened CDC’s no-sail order for cruise ships: report

Yeah, the title of an article from some third rate Internet-based tabloid rag specializing in yellow journalism is surely going to be more accurate than the actual language of the CDC order.

Spare us the nonsense.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 6

Just now, njhorseman said:

Yeah, the title of an article from some third rate Internet-based tabloid rag specializing in yellow journalism is surely going to be more accurate than the actual language the CDC order.

Spare us the nonsense.

ok but then dont say i mislead, when that is in fact the article title, just because you may not agree with them .  

we will see in a month or so what happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Até said:

I was thinking the currently listed 100 day order was possibly the shortened by 20 days version.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

thats possible, that at first they had it more strict and then the task force came in and softened it up and deleted the part about extending it.    good point. 

1 hour ago, Até said:

I was thinking the currently listed 100 day order was possibly the shortened by 20 days version.

ETA: The original order was to extend it to August - 120 days.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

thats possible, that at first they had it more strict and then the task force came in and softened it up and deleted the part about extending it.    good point. 

Even if what we see is a modified version of the original order it's a minor modification from 120 to 100 days.

You're wrong about deleting the possibility of an extension. While the word "extension" isn't used the order clearly permits the modification of the order and allowing modifications allows extension. 

Edited by njhorseman

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Even if what we see is a modified version of the original order it's a minor modification from 120 to 100 days.

You're wrong about deleting the possibility of an extension. While the word "extension" isn't used the order clearly permits the modification of the order and allowing modifications allows extension. 

why do you keep saying im wrong? i didnt write the article, in the article it says they deleted the part about an extension,   lol 

i realize a farmer from south jersey may have more intell than the ny post but dont shot the messenger. 

6 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

why do you keep saying im wrong? i didnt write the article, in the article it says they deleted the part about an extension,   lol 

i realize a farmer from south jersey may have more intell than the ny post but dont shot the messenger. 

Farmer from South Jersey. Pretty funny...

How about mathematician, retired actuary and former head of strategic planning for a major insurance company as well as retired owner of several small businesses.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 5

And this whole CDC thing doesn't make a bit of difference if the states keep the cruise ports/operations  closed (pretty sure cruising doesn't fall under any "essential" activites).   If the governors of the states with cruse ports say no....there isn't a thing the feds can do about it.  Other than go on twitter rants, talking heads shows or talk radio to whine that is. 😉

50 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

How about mathematician, retired actuary and former head of strategic planning for a major insurance company as well as retired owner of several small businesses.

Nice- I've worked as a statistician, financial analysis and love working on spreadsheets all day. I took a few of the actuary exams a few decades ago

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

And this whole CDC thing doesn't make a bit of difference if the states keep the cruise ports/operations  closed (pretty sure cruising doesn't fall under any "essential" activites).   If the governors of the states with cruse ports say no....there isn't a thing the feds can do about it.  Other than go on twitter rants, talking heads shows or talk radio to whine that is. 😉

i agree , but some of those states like texas and florida , stay a home orders expire by may and june. 

3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Here we go again

Post 6 you said a month or so Now in above quite "Ships can sail in July"

July is the 100 day order, doesn't seem like anything has been softened.

You will sail between Late June and sometime late summer early fall.

Again ALL the pieces need to come together. It's going to take time.

2 hours ago, Até said:

ETA: The original order was to extend it to August - 120 days.

I was just going to post that.  A couple days ago they had pulled the order from the Federal Register to subtract the 20 days from the order.  Afterward I saw a version of the order that had both 100 days and 120 days listed which confused me.  Apparently the person who edited the order missed some of the 120 days.   

• Like 1

IMHO, unless CDC is in a position to dictate whether other countries and foreign (non-USA) ports can/must open their port facilities and allow cruise ship passengers and crews to transit thru, go ashore, embark and disembark - passenger cruise ships are not going anywhere soon, not in 20 or 30 days, not 45 days, not 60 days, and not 100 days for that matter.

Let's be a devil's advocate for a moment, I see the "merit" for Florida to re-open their ports but heck, where are these ships sailing to ??  New Orleans, LA is questionable but if the Big Easy is done burying and ready - then, whatever.  

It's hurricane season, no ?? 

Up here in the Northeast, not a chance that NY/NJ ports will re-open.  As for Beantown cruises this summer with an active hurricane season forecasted, I don't see the feds being able to fix that by tweeting new CDC guidance either - especially if the coalition of governors feel that ... 

As soon as the virus is eradicated or a vaccine is available, let's go sail.. Until, don't see any ships at sea...order..no order...whatever.   How can it be otherwise.   
'Splain how it can happen.....realistically.....practically.........