Cruise ship bookings for 2021 are already on the rise despite multiple COVID-19 outbreaks

Joebucks

We booked in 2021 before the virus.  cruise lines encouraging those who cancel in 2020 to book in 2021.. time will tell, whether folks make final payment... our final payment is due in November 2020.    Things will have to be a lot better for us to make that payment.   We have plans to fly in September, not sure we will make that flight either... bookings don't mean much at this point.

• Like 1

Not at all surprising given the massive number of cruisers who have had cruises already cancelled or who anticipate cancellations in the near future. They have to do something with all those FCCs the cruise lines were pushing in lieu of refunds. As for the poll on which the article drew a lot of its conclusions - no offense to the originator of the poll, but the mere fact that it was done on CC seriously skews the results, since the vast majority of forum members are biased towards cruising in general.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 12:19 AM, pris993 said:

time will tell, whether folks make final payment... our final payment is due in November 2020.    Things will have to be a lot better for us to make that payment.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:59 AM, mom says said:

Not at all surprising given the massive number of cruisers who have had cruises already cancelled or who anticipate cancellations in the near future. They have to do something with all those FCCs the cruise lines were pushing in lieu of refunds. l.

Because a cruise booking in the US is penalty-free if cancelled before final-payment day there's no reason why folk can't be optimistic.

But I have strong doubts that since the pandemic struck there's been much take-up of the comparatively-new option of discounted non-cancelable bookings.

In the UK, deposits have always been forfeit if the cruiser cancels. But because of the pandemic there have been several initiatives, including only nominal deposits (equiv of $100 or less) and more customer-friendly terms for switching cruises. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those changes remain long after the pandemic.

On the down-side, I can foresee higher premiums and lots more exclusions & limitations in travel insurance policies - even though pandemics are already excluded from many insurance policies, insurers are taking big hits from a wide range of businesses

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I dont see any problem here. If you continue thinking this way , then maybe we should all stop cruising at once. Its been predicted that the cruising must return by summer. No one knows exactly when it will happen but the predictions of many say summer 2020. As far as next year go, I mean even if the pandemic continues, we will have to return to business otherwise we will be drawn back to stone age. Cruisers will continue to operate but with some limitations

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I dont see any problem here. If you continue thinking this way , then maybe we should all stop cruising at once. Its been predicted that the cruising must return by summer. No one knows exactly when it will happen but the predictions of many say summer 2020. As far as next year go, I mean even if the pandemic continues, we will have to return to business otherwise we will be drawn back to stone age. Cruisers will continue to operate but with some limitations

Dr. Fauci has said that sports can only start up this summer if they have no fans in attendance. So, maybe he would allow cruises if there are no passengers on the ships.

• Haha 1

We should all stop cruising at once. It is insane to think about a cruise in 2020. As for after that time will tell. No doubt if there are any sailings in 2020 there will be some takers, look at that pastor who went ahead with the church service and died of Covid 19 a week later. I have been a cruise enthusiast, over 60 cruises and I won’t book a cruise in 2020. Maybe never again....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am cruising this year if possible. Paid for June cruise. If that's cancelled I will accept the credits to re book in august or September.

I am very much of the opinion that people need to get the world moving again once this awful virus is under some sort of control.

If we dont......like others have said we go back to the stone age.

• Like 1

I am cruising this year if possible. Paid for June cruise. If that's cancelled I will accept the credits to re book in august or September.

I am very much of the opinion that people need to get the world moving again once this awful virus is under some sort of control.

You won’t be cruising in June. Probably not this year. The world needs to get moving again but the world does not need cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

The way technology has been utilised during this pandemic is probably a sign of the future, hardly us going backwards. Let's face it now that businesses have seen just how much work can get done from home those jobs will most likely stay remote and since technology has kept international companies running smoothly they will probably be less inclined to send employees overseas. I wouldn't be surprised if the future involves us less moving around. Things will change but not towards the Stone Age maybe the Age of Fiber Optics😂.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

This too shall pass....

The vast majority of those with COVID19 were infected by friends and family.  Simple solution, don't cruise with friends or family.  

Do we really know how people get it ? My best friend who died last week was not in the company of anyone who knowingly had the virus.He was in excellent health and a Hall Of Fame Athlete.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Dr. Fauci has said that sports can only start up this summer if they have no fans in attendance. So, maybe he would allow cruises if there are no passengers on the ships.

LOL. I did see a headline that the NFL is talking about games with no fans in physical attendance

31 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do we really know how people get it ? My best friend who died last week was not in the company of anyone who knowingly had the virus.He was in excellent health and a Hall Of Fame Athlete.

I know a woman whose parents were on the ship that finally docked in Oakland and then shipped off for quarantine. Upon testing it showed her father had antibodies but had never been sick. He has since donated plasma.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

I know a woman whose parents were on the ship that finally docked in Oakland and then shipped off for quarantine. Upon testing it showed her father had antibodies but had never been sick. He has since donated plasma.

That is my point that on the surface nobody knows for sure how one gets the virus.

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Apparently Royal Caribbean is booking cruises starting the second half of May.  There must be some very optimistic people out there, or else some very liberal cancellation-with-full-refund terms.

I got an email from Travelzoo restarting their top 20 trips. Everyone had in bold letters things about full refunds and any reason cancellations.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

50 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is my point that on the surface nobody knows for sure how one gets the virus.

I disagree.  We, pretty much, know that the virus is spreading by human contact.  Let's not quibble about whether it is physical contact (e.g., the barista who woke up with a sore throat this morning who hands you your latte and change for your $20 bill} or close proximity (e.g., the person in line ahead of you sneezes in your direction, or the person who used the shopping cart just before you sneezed on it).

Maybe your friend "was not in the company of anyone who knowingly had the virus."  It does not matter.  It has been known for months, now, that asymptomatic carriers can infect others.  He caught it from another human--maybe that human did not know he was infected or maybe he did and did not care.

The fact that some people get infected and never show symptoms is, of course, interesting.  I am sure that a lot of scientists are trying to find out why that is.  Personally. I see a lot of downside if I just assume that I am one of those who won't get sick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In some cases, yes..  

Someone in a gathering coughed and hacked up a lung from a "really bad cold" and then others who were present got sick.  

If you believe this actually indicates a strong rebound of cruising in 2021 you should probably be buying stock in RCL and Carnival hand over fist.  Me?  I suspect there's a story behind these numbers. I wouldn't touch cruise line stock. 

• Like 1

People keep forgetting that cruising is a non-essential activity.  It is way down on the list of activities that need to get restarted.  Non-emergency medical treatments which are now in abeyance,  educational institutions, facilities which manufacture necessary products, local public transportation, local businesses which serve peoples NEEDS while providing employment and income to workers, long distant travel (much of which is necessary - the list goes on.   And way down at the bottom is cruising - which puts lots of people in close and repeated contact - totally unnecessarily. 

It is is absurd to even think about restarting cruising until AFTER all more significant activities can be brought back on line - and only  then when it can be made safe — and because it is not as important as virtually any other activity, that level of safety should be all the higher.  Even slight risk of disease transmission which might have to be accepted in more important activities should not be tolerated in something like cruising.

Development of effective prevention (most likely widespread vaccination) and effective treatment for those cases where vaccine might be ineffective are essential preconditions for restarting utterly non-essential travel.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

People keep forgetting that cruising is a non-essential activity.  It is way down on the list of activities that need to get restarted.  Non-emergency medical treatments which are now in abeyance,  educational institutions, facilities which manufacture necessary products, local public transportation, local businesses which serve peoples NEEDS while providing employment and income to workers, long distant travel (much of which is necessary - the list goes on.   And way down at the bottom is cruising - which puts lots of people in close and repeated contact - totally unnecessarily. 

It is is absurd to even think about restarting cruising until AFTER all more significant activities can be brought back on line - and only  then when it can be made safe — and because it is not as important as virtually any other activity, that level of safety should be all the higher.  Even slight risk of disease transmission which might have to be accepted in more important activities should not be tolerated in something like cruising.

Development of effective prevention (most likely widespread vaccination) and effective treatment for those cases where vaccine might be ineffective are essential preconditions for restarting utterly non-essential travel.

I usually work to just copy as little as possible when 'quoting' but every word of this warrants rereading. I know this is (or has been) a cruise board but I think there are some people here who might be a tad overboard. No one has to cruise.  Thanks, NBT, as usual.