Scenic Eclipse Refunds

Fandango10

Thought I would start a new Topic for Refunding Status for Scenic Eclipse passengers that had

their cruise cancelled due to the Covid Pandemic.

In my case, I requested a cash refund the day Scenic notified my TA that the cruise had been cancelled.

No response from Scenic except to parrot the party line that each cancellation would receive a future cruise

voucher for 110% of the cruise value. Despite multiple requests of Scenic(emails), there have been no responses

or refund status since the cancellation on 6 April.

This could escalate very quickly to a lawsuit for Breach of Contract for violation of their own set of T&Cs. Anybody else

have a similar story to share?

Not from Scenic, but we had the same treatment by Ponant (although we got 115%) and I have read about many cruise lines doing this.  I don't think there will be any recovery through the legal system (or credit card chargebacks) because of the unprecedented nature of this pandemic.  Insurance companies aren't paying either.  All we've got is hope that the cruise lines will be around to honor the FCCs.  Good luck.

5 hours ago, Fandango10 said:

Thought I would start a new Topic for Refunding Status for Scenic Eclipse passengers that had

their cruise cancelled due to the Covid Pandemic.

In my case, I requested a cash refund the day Scenic notified my TA that the cruise had been cancelled.

No response from Scenic except to parrot the party line that each cancellation would receive a future cruise

voucher for 110% of the cruise value. Despite multiple requests of Scenic(emails), there have been no responses

or refund status since the cancellation on 6 April.

This could escalate very quickly to a lawsuit for Breach of Contract for violation of their own set of T&Cs. Anybody else

have a similar story to share?

I am glad you started this thread. I too was wondering what people were doing about the cancelled Scenic cruises. It doesn't seem like Scenic will be giving refunds from all that I have read. As you probably know they have cancelled all cruises through the end of June. Our cruise is scheduled for July 3, so wondering what will happen. Most likely will be cancelled.  Fandango10, what was the date of your cancelled cruise?  Did you also have air that was cancelled? 

Hi Carol

We're almost neighbors(San Diego). I was on the 30 May trip from BCN-CPH and arranged my own

travel on BA.  Hopefully, I can obtain a refund assuming that BA cancels the flight.

I've included a brief summary on my exchanges(email) with my TA and Scenic to show the actions

I have taken with regard to Scenic. Some may choose to follow suit and others may not depending

on their own personal circumstances. In chronological order:

-Notified my TA to request a refund

-Initiated a CC charge back

-Contacted a Scenic senior exec . & officially requested a refund in accordance with the Scenic T&Cs. If you review para 5.3(C) of your Scenic T&Cs, it clearly states that a refund will be provided in

the event of a cancelation, regardless of the circumstances.

-Filed a complaint with the Federal Maritime Commision

-Filed a complaint with the Calif. Attorney General. Scenic falls under the Calif Seller of Travel Law

which requires refunds within 30 days of cancellation.

Future actions may involve legal remedies depending on the outcome of the aforementioned actions.

I trust you are well and hope you stay healthy during these troubled times.

43 minutes ago, Fandango10 said:

Hi Carol

We're almost neighbors(San Diego). I was on the 30 May trip from BCN-CPH and arranged my own

travel on BA.  Hopefully, I can obtain a refund assuming that BA cancels the flight.

I've included a brief summary on my exchanges(email) with my TA and Scenic to show the actions

I have taken with regard to Scenic. Some may choose to follow suit and others may not depending

on their own personal circumstances. In chronological order:

-Notified my TA to request a refund

-Initiated a CC charge back

-Contacted a Scenic senior exec . & officially requested a refund in accordance with the Scenic T&Cs. If you review para 5.3(C) of your Scenic T&Cs, it clearly states that a refund will be provided in

the event of a cancelation, regardless of the circumstances.

-Filed a complaint with the Federal Maritime Commision

-Filed a complaint with the Calif. Attorney General. Scenic falls under the Calif Seller of Travel Law

which requires refunds within 30 days of cancellation.

Future actions may involve legal remedies depending on the outcome of the aforementioned actions.

I trust you are well and hope you stay healthy during these troubled times.

Thanks for the heads up.  What did Scenic say regarding Par. 5.3(C) of the terms and conditions?  By the way, I looked at my T&C that are attached to my original booking and it is in a different paragraph. I'd love to share with you.  I just found Par. 5.3C in one of the brochures. My email address is below my signature. Thanks!

Edited by Carol From California

• 1 month later...
  • I accepted the FCC of 110% and booked a river cruise in September 2021.  This was a cruise we were looking to book so in our situation we think it worked out ok.

• I really am sorry that we will not get to experience the Eclipse but I didn’t feel like fighting to get back my refund would prove successful.  Scenic could  and would drag this out to the point that I not only wouldn’t get the refund but I might miss out on the FCC
  • I hope those of you that fight the fight for your deserved refund are successful!!  I just hope Scenic and the other cruise lines survive and we can all get back to cruising.

1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:
  • I accepted the FCC of 110% and booked a river cruise in September 2021.  This was a cruise we were looking to book so in our situation we think it worked out ok.

• I really am sorry that we will not get to experience the Eclipse but I didn’t feel like fighting to get back my refund would prove successful.  Scenic could  and would drag this out to the point that I not only wouldn’t get the refund but I might miss out on the FCC
  • I hope those of you that fight the fight for your deserved refund are successful!!  I just hope Scenic and the other cruise lines survive and we can all get back to cruising.

My TA is working with Scenic to move my cruise to the identical cruise in 2022. We booked two years ago (Arctic in Depth) and this will be the second time the cruise is cancelled.  First time was due to unfortunate ship construction delay and second time is due to Covid-19. Since we already have two cruises booked in 2021 on another cruise line we decided to move it to 2022. So now another over 2+ year wait to sail on the Eclipse. Hopefully things will return to some normalcy for cruising soon.  Glad to hear your situation was worked out. We went on a Scenic river cruise in Southeast Asia earlier this year and it was beyond amazing!