Larry Stepping Down!

Rabo

1 hour ago, Andy said:

It's always been my understanding that all three brands are run independently. Unless something has recently changed, I doubt that folks waiting for refunds/FCC's at Azamara, are being thrown in with Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Guests.

While it's possible there's a directive from the RCCL Executive team - IMO, that would be a poor decision for all involved. I absolutely believe it''s a case of tremendous amount of paperwork/accounting/procedural stuff going on, and that all takes time.

The refund form is valid for any of the three brands. That might be an indication that they are being processed together rather than by each line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This is happening with other luxury lines.  Look around.

It's not just cruise lines either.  It's all businesses.  Nobody is paying accounts payable in 45 days or less and many companies aren't paying full rent.  My company is deferring some of my compensation a couple of months, so that lower level people don't get terminated and get paid on time.  I hope this industry comes out okay on the other side of this.  If they delay paying refunds for a month or two, so be it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Andy said:

It's always been my understanding that all three brands are run independently. Unless something has recently changed, I doubt that folks waiting for refunds/FCC's at Azamara, are being thrown in with Royal Caribbean & Celebrity Guests.

While it's possible there's a directive from the RCCL Executive team - IMO, that would be a poor decision for all involved. I absolutely believe it''s a case of tremendous amount of paperwork/accounting/procedural stuff going on, and that all takes time.

For those that are upset about refunds, I sincerely hope it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Not sure why you'd think that Andy. Azamara share many functions with Royal now and I'm pretty sure I have seen it confirmed that refunds are being dealt with together for all the brands. 

Phil 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy said:

I can categorically confirm this is the case. We are outstanding £13000 for cruise and air fare, £1000 for an indulgence package, all cancelled by Azamara over a month ago. What have we received £154 additional payment for shore excursions paid back into my bank account by celebrity? When I questioned this I was told that they are all helping out in making refunds. It’s interesting how the smallest amount is refunded but nothing else, and no further response to my e mails.
So Larry I wish you a long and happy retirement, especially with your lovely shares money, but I think I can kiss goodbye to my cruise refund , and your departure confirms this  more than anything. I think this ship is definitely sinking. 

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This is happening with other luxury lines.  Look around.

No all - have a look at "Viking". Anyone can offer excellent Customer Service when times are good - the mark of a luxury line is how they treat their customers when things go wrong. 

The real fear with Larry's departure is that he is aware that RCCL has either made the decision or looking seriously at how to restart cruising, and the restart does not include Azamara.  Cutting Azamara's three ships is the easiest way for the corporation to quickly reduce expenses.  Its much easier than cutting ships out of X or RCI.  Its easier to sell the "R" ships than it is to sell off the larger and expensive to operate larger ships of X and RCI.  No one wants an Oasis class anymore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The real fear with Larry's departure is that he is aware that RCCL has either made the decision or looking seriously at how to restart cruising, and the restart does not include Azamara.  Cutting Azamara's three ships is the easiest way for the corporation to quickly reduce expenses.  Its much easier than cutting ships out of X or RCI.  Its easier to sell the "R" ships than it is to sell off the larger and expensive to operate larger ships of X and RCI.  No one wants an Oasis class anymore.  

Your insight is 100% correct. When does a commander leave the battlefield? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

There is a lot of sense in this posting. With Azamara having no plans for new builds I have had concerns for a while.

Royal Caribbean as a group have a track record of moving ships on to third party operators once ships across the fleet reach twenty years of age. It’s well documented that at least three of Celebrity’s M class ships are presently up for sale now they have passed twenty.

I hope I am wrong and Azamara survive in this cruise market meltdown.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, BBMacLaird said:

I’d like to confirm that Azamara’s Loyalty Ambassador was not laid off; she was put on a leave of absence until Azamara resumes operations.

This makes complete sense. My son is a manager of a 500 room hotel in San Francisco; he's also on an unpaid leave of absence until operations resume. He told me it was done this way to preserve his benefits, particularly his medical benefits; and to keep his seniority intact. He was able to file for unemployment.

Sandra will be back; Azamara understandably needed to create some cash flow.

On another note, Bonnie- if you're in the SF area, maybe we can get together for lunch after our Governor lets us all meet again. My treat, and I won't do any arm twisting 🙂  Stay well!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gardyloo2 said:

On another note, Bonnie- if you're in the SF area, maybe we can get together for lunch after our Governor lets us all meet again. My treat, and I won't do any arm twisting 🙂  Stay well!

That is kind of you, but no need to treat. I’m always happy to meet the Azamara faithful. 

During normal times I’m in Southern Marin at least once a week, and occasionally further afield in the Bay Area. 

And thank you for your understanding about Sandra. I hope she is back very soon, and the same for your son in the hotel business. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

During normal times I’m in Southern Marin at least once a week, and occasionally further afield in the Bay Area. 

I'm SIP'ing in the Greater Walnut Creek area. Feel free to PM me 

Thank you for your kind wishes for my son; yesterday was his birthday, so I sang The Song to him over the phone.

Edited by Gardyloo2
syntax
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Gardyloo2 said:

I'm SIP'ing in the Greater Walnut Creek area. Feel free to PM me 

Thank you for your kind wishes for my son; yesterday was his birthday, so I sang The Song to him over the phone.

While washing your hands?

• Haha 1

CEO's step down for one reason and it's not for their employees. What world have you guys been living in? Most CEOs have a large part of their compensation tied to stock options (which are set at a lower than current price when taking the job - the stock goes up they make a lot of money). Larry probably sold his 2019 options in February since they became available at the end of the year (very few executives actually buy and hold the stock). Since the stocks are way down he knows their won't be any value to his 2020 options, so he would be taking a big pay cut if he stays at Azamara.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pavovsky said:

Maybe all the happy customers can come together to get a retirement gift for Larry? How would this work in practice? 

They can chip in to help him pay his taxes on the income from the sale of his options.  

• Like 2