Holiday vs Inspiration Opinions

starketcher

I need help and opinions!!!!!! We usually take the 7 day cruises. but due to family and time obligations, it looks like our cruising the early part of the summer is limited and so are the choices.

I've narrowed this down to the Inspiration out of Tampa and the Holiday out of Mobile. We can drive to both in about 7 hours. I've taken one other short cruise (tropicale right before it was scrapped adn had a great cruise.) I know the shorter ones are not as nice, and I wont have a balcony, but this is what I am going to go with until the fall/winter when we will take a longer one. I am just unsure which one to take. The ports really dont matter so much; though I am leaning toward Mexico just ofr port time.

I know the Holiday is undergoing refurb, how extensive? Anything else I should be aware of on either ship?

I didn't realize the Holiday was going thru another refurb. She was my first ship and I will always love her. I went on a five day on her with my daughter and she was still a fun ship. She also had the new bedding and I never slept so well. (It was the first time I ever slept on a ship or in a motel.)

I have been on the inspiration twice and if all else is the same for you, length and ports, I'd take another run on the Holiday. She is small but, in my opinion that is a plus.

I need help and opinions!!!!!! We usually take the 7 day cruises. but due to family and time obligations, it looks like our cruising the early part of the summer is limited and so are the choices.

I've narrowed this down to the Inspiration out of Tampa and the Holiday out of Mobile. We can drive to both in about 7 hours. I've taken one other short cruise (tropicale right before it was scrapped adn had a great cruise.) I know the shorter ones are not as nice, and I wont have a balcony, but this is what I am going to go with until the fall/winter when we will take a longer one. I am just unsure which one to take. The ports really dont matter so much; though I am leaning toward Mexico just ofr port time.

I know the Holiday is undergoing refurb, how extensive? Anything else I should be aware of on either ship?

Carnival is re-designing the lobby, adding new carpeting and tile, and installing new ceilings in the two formal dining rooms. They are also adding a nine hole minature golf course on the Verandah deck. The ship is pretty nice considering its age. One other advantage is that the ship docks longer at Calica (till 10 pm). You can spend additional time at places such as Xcaret, which has a fantastic evening show about Mayan history.

I didn't realize the Holiday was going thru another refurb.

The Holiday was in FEMA service for several months, will be refurbished big time, so I've been told, and her first regular cruise from Mobile will be in March. Lots of new things will be added, and she'll look SO spiffy! Love that ship!:)

cruise.) I know the shorter ones are not as nice........

Hmmm. I don't know why you would think that.

Most of my cruises are five-nighters, and I couldn't ask for anything nicer. I've cruised on the Holiday four times, and she is by far my favorite ship. She IS the oldest and smallest in Carnival's present fleet, but there's something about her that is so intimate and comfy.

I hope the same staff and crew return after the FEMA service and refurb. They were wonderful. Food and entertainment is about the same on all the ships, but I think the food was just a tad bit better on the Holiday.

I didn't realize the Holiday was going thru another refurb.

The Holiday was in FEMA service for several months, will be refurbished big time, so I've been told, and her first regular cruise from Mobile will be in March. Lots of new things will be added, and she'll look SO spiffy! Love that ship!:)

Here is the official press release from Carnival with all of the refurbishment details. I thought it was interesting that the Holiday was going to be dry-docked in the Bahamas and the Esctasy and Sensation would be here in Mobile. I guess it had to do with the shipyard scheduling.

Carnival's Sensation, Holiday, Ecstasy To Undergo Multi-Million-Dollar Refurbishments Following U.S. Government Charter spacer.gif01/19/2006 spacer.gifMIAMI (Jan. 19, 2006) – Carnival Cruise Lines’ SuperLiners Sensation, Holiday, and Ecstasy will each undergo extensive multi-million-dollar renovations following their charter to the U.S. government for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

Following the charters, the vessels will resume four- and five-day service this spring, with the Sensation launching a brand new schedule from Port Canaveral, Fla., March 23, the Holiday returning to Mobile, Ala., year-round March 27, and the Ecstasy returning to Galveston, Texas, year-round April 8, 2006. Following its new program from Port Canaveral, the Sensation will return to New Orleans to resume year-round four- and five-day cruises Oct. 26, 2006.

"Because the ships were maintained to Carnival’s high standards throughout the charter period, the Holiday, Ecstasy and Sensation are all in excellent condition and these multi-million-dollar renovations will make these terrific ‘Fun Ships’ even better when they resume service this spring," said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Holiday Refurbishment

Highlighting the Holiday’s extensive 20-day refurbishment, which will take place in Freeport, The Bahamas, will be a totally redesigned lobby area with new seating, and new carpeting and tile work throughout, providing a more comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.

In addition to a host of cosmetic enhancements throughout the vessel, a new nine-hole miniature golf course will be added to Verandah Deck, providing guests of all ages with a fun outdoor diversion.

The Four Winds and Seven Seas main dining rooms will receive new ceilings, along with a variety of new and updated galley equipment. The beauty salon in the Spa Carnival facility will also receive a makeover with new exercise equipment, carpeting and tile work.

Renovations to Ecstasy and Sensation

The refurbishments of the 2,052-passenger Ecstasy and Sensation, which will take place in Mobile, Ala., will include new nine-hole miniature golf courses and new 1,600-square-foot Children’s World play areas, part of the ongoing expansion of the line’s top-rated "Camp Carnival" program.

Aft lounges on both ships will be reconfigured to house new family recreation areas featuring audio/visual equipment for displaying movies and other programming. The Ecstasy and Sensation will also house new art galleries and 1,200-square-foot conference rooms.

All of the Ecstasy’s 1,026 cabins, including 54 suites, will be completely refurbished, while new lighting, flooring, wall coverings and dessert stations will be added to the Panorama Bar & Grill poolside restaurant. The ship’s gift shop will be renovated, as well.

A patisserie offering specialty coffees and sweets and a new photo gallery will be installed on the Sensation’s promenade, while a redesigned Internet café will be located adjacent to the ship’s purser’s information desk on Empress Deck.

The Sensation’s 12,000-square-foot Spa Carnival facility will also be renovated and a poolside stage will be relocated to a covered area on Lido Deck, providing guests with more space for sunning and relaxing. Suites on the Sensation will also be refurbished to include an entirely new décor and completely remodeled bathrooms.

Exciting Itineraries

The Sensation’s new schedule from Port Canaveral will run March 23 - Oct. 19, 2006 (the Elation will take over the program Oct. 23, 2006). Four-day cruises visit Nassau and either Freeport or Half Moon Cay, while five-day cruises call at Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

The Sensation will then reposition to New Orleans to resume year-round four- and five-day cruises beginning Oct. 26, 2006. Four-day cruises departing Thursdays visit Cozumel while five-day cruises departing Mondays and Saturdays feature Cozumel and Calica/Playa del Carmen or Costa Maya.

The Holiday will return to Mobile March 27, 2006, to resume year-round four- and five-day Mexico cruises – the only year-round program from that port. Four-day cruises to Cozumel depart Thursdays and five-day voyages to Cozumel and Calica/Playa del Carmen or Costa Maya depart Mondays and Saturdays.

The Ecstasy will resume its previously operated schedule from Galveston beginning April 8, 2006. On this route, four-day cruises depart Thursdays and visit Calica while five-day voyages depart Mondays and Saturdays and visit Progreso and Cozumel.

Carnival is currently accepting reservations for all of the ships’ 2006 departures. For additional information and reservations, contact any travel agent, call 1-800-CARNIVAL or visit carnival.com.

Travel agent contacted me today saying the Holiday is not going to Cozumel, April 3. but stopping in Calica. Does anyone no about shore execursions from there? Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is our first time on the Holiday and we are looking for reasonable shore excursions. Does anyone recommend not booking shore and winging it?

:) :) :)

Travel agent contacted me today saying the Holiday is not going to Cozumel, April 3. but stopping in Calica.

Just don't be too shocked when you dock at Calica. It's a huge working rock quarry with a few vendor tents and a whole lotta cabs. You can take excursions from there to some ruins, I think. Twice, I've taken a cab into Playa del Carmen, which I think most folks do. It's $10 per cab (holds up to 4 people), and is about a 10 minute drive. Hold on! Those cabbies drive fast, and it's very dusty. PdC is full of shops, has a nice little beach, and lots of good restaurants on Avenue 5. Since I had been there a coupla times before, on my last cruise I just stayed on the ship.

I thought it was interesting that the Holiday was going to be dry-docked in the Bahamas and the Esctasy and Sensation would be here in Mobile. I guess it had to do with the shipyard scheduling.

Look for Elation to arrive in Mobile for drydock right behind Sensation and Ecstasy.

Intinerary changes for the Holiday: the 5-day will now stop off in Coz 8-5P Wed then Calica 7-5P Thur. The swapped dates and shortend the time at both stops. This change might make help you decide. These changes result in a loss of almost 5 hrs of combined port time with the majority being in Calica (PDC).

Archived