Major itinerary changes likely?

When cruising does start up again, is it at all likely that the sort of itineraries available will resemble those to which we have become accustomed?  While Caribbean itineraries will probably resume much as before, isn’t it likely that a number of ports previously visited in other areas will no longer be offered?

Local and regional health authorities in cruise areas like the Mediterraneanare going to carefully consider the advisability of continually welcoming thousands of daily visitors -  certainly until the COVID 19 risk is eradicated by effective and widespread vaccination - of both cruising visitors and local populations.   

Beyond the health angle, a number of ports will take a close look at the economic benefits of accepting cruise ships - some ports which get heavily utilized may realize that they are losing more beneficial land visitors/residents. It is hard to see the powers that be in Monaco thinking that having a few thousand economy minded cruisers swarm ashore for a few hours offers any net benefit.

Finally, the environmental concerns of ports like Venice are likely to strictly limit the number of ships accepted - and certainly their size.

What long term changes to cruising generally -involving  itineraries and new builds do you think the current crisis will bring about?

I think those who go for the ship will continue to cruise while those who go for the ports may stop entirely. And I agree that there are going to be countries/cities who will say 'enough.' And not just Europe. There are big cities all over the world who will figure out they just don't need that particular kind of money. They have enough tourism and other industries.

I think there will be more out and back cruises, and that the Mediterranean will be a long way off...

For us in Australia could be just round the coast,  no Pacific islands or New Zealand......

I feel the it will have the biggest impact on itineraries for lines like Azamara whom hop one country to another

Don   

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

It may also work in reverse .

Cruise lines may take a 2nd look at including any port that turned them away when 

they had cases onboard that could have better handled ashore than remaining onboard to contaminate other guests .

Whereas I think they'll go anywhere that will have them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

Cruise lines may take a 2nd look at including any port that turned them away when 

they had cases onboard that could have better handled ashore than remaining onboard to contaminate other guests .

I would have to agree with Clo.  I think it will be more likely a case of "beggars can't be choosers". They'll  likely have a smaller choice of ports willing to accept cruise  ships. At least in the first couple of years.

IMHO the cruise industry will be a thing of the past.

A friend called me a short while ago. This guy and his wife have been on more cruises that anyone I ever met. He said they will never go on a cruise again.

Edited by lenquixote66

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

I would think that any port which had turned away a ship which had cases on board would serve as an inspiration to other ports to be more selective .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend called me a short while ago. This guy and his wife have been on more cruises that anyone I ever met. He said they will never go on a cruise again.

I think you are wrong Lenny, I think most people like me that have done 50 or in my case about 70 cruises will sail again, not saying all just most. Two things I never want to give up is cruising and our nyc visits, although they both are currently in trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I would think that any port which had turned away a ship which had cases on board would serve as an inspiration to other ports to be more selective .  

Yeah, might be the catalyst needed to stop cruise ships when other existing reasons are on the table.  But still and all, I don't think I would put a lot of money on too many cruise ports shutting down.  

1 hour ago, George C said:

I think you are wrong Lenny, I think most people like me that have done 50 or in my case about 70 cruises will sail again, not saying all just most. Two things I never want to give up is cruising and our nyc visits, although they both are currently in trouble.

I tend to agree.  Once all of this is behind us, I think a lot of folks will want to go on cruises.    Personally, we were moving away from cruising as a primary vacation prior to all of this.  Now it is more of an adjunct to a land trip.  Barring any unexpected developments, I would expect to continue with that in the future.   

23 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, might be the catalyst needed to stop cruise ships when other existing reasons are on the table.  But still and all, I don't think I would put a lot of money on too many cruise ports shutting down.  

I'm curious what ports you tend to go to.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I'm curious what ports you tend to go to.

Why?     Europe - most & many times.   SE Asia - Many.   Oceania - Many.  Caribbean - few.  South & central America - few.  Mexican Riviera - Most & many times. North America - Most except Florida & Gulf.      

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

When cruising does start up again, is it at all likely that the sort of itineraries available will resemble those to which we have become accustomed?  While Caribbean itineraries will probably resume much as before, isn’t it likely that a number of ports previously visited in other areas will no longer be offered?

Local and regional health authorities in cruise areas like the Mediterraneanare going to carefully consider the advisability of continually welcoming thousands of daily visitors -  certainly until the COVID 19 risk is eradicated by effective and widespread vaccination - of both cruising visitors and local populations.   

Beyond the health angle, a number of ports will take a close look at the economic benefits of accepting cruise ships - some ports which get heavily utilized may realize that they are losing more beneficial land visitors/residents. It is hard to see the powers that be in Monaco thinking that having a few thousand economy minded cruisers swarm ashore for a few hours offers any net benefit.

Finally, the environmental concerns of ports like Venice are likely to strictly limit the number of ships accepted - and certainly their size.

What long term changes to cruising generally -involving  itineraries and new builds do you think the current crisis will bring about?

Tend to agree with your philosophy, but Monaco does not control the port of Villefranche, France 😏

I don't know if any ports will suspend cruises for good but they will probably put stricter limits on how many ships and how big the ships so the cruise lines will have to reorganise their inventories and schedules. I do think COVID19 has put the power on the side of destinations if cruise lines want to survive they are going to have to be more agreeable with the ports rather than their aggressive "we don't care what you want" strategy of the past. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I don't think cruising will entirely be a thing of the past but the glory days are certainly over. 

The dirty little secret about cruise ships being incubators for viral infections has been laid bare.  It's all fun and games when it's just Noro but this time people fell critically ill, faced weeks of quarantine and in some cases died. 

Then there is the conduct of the cruise lines themselves.  In the first week of March, more than a month after the Diamond Princess was quarantined in Japan, Holland America and Princess embarked on multi-week itineraries despite rapidly growing concerns about the virus.  My expectation is Holland America will face legal action from the families of the passengers who died as a result of their poor decision making.

The gaiety of shipboard life never appealed to me that much in the first place and I cruised when it was the most efficient and practical way to visit a specific place.  Those days are over. The only cruise I will entertain in future is Antarctica because there is no other way to see it.  Everywhere else can be visited in other ways.  

6 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Tend to agree with your philosophy, but Monaco does not control the port of Villefranche, France 😏

Nor does it control the port of Nice (one more cruise ship port of call along that stretch of coastline)  —but I was talking about Monaco, so what is your point?

But now that you raise Villefranche, I am inclined to think those folk also might not continue to welcome mega-ships.

Edited by navybankerteacher

7 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

That was our very first port ever. And we also had Nice as a port on a later cruise. We did not go to Monaco either time.

14 hours ago, George C said:

I hope I am wrong and that you continue to do both,George .Take your wife to your old neighborhood.

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

I don't think cruising will entirely be a thing of the past but the glory days are certainly over. 

The dirty little secret about cruise ships being incubators for viral infections has been laid bare.  It's all fun and games when it's just Noro but this time people fell critically ill, faced weeks of quarantine and in some cases died. 

Then there is the conduct of the cruise lines themselves.  In the first week of March, more than a month after the Diamond Princess was quarantined in Japan, Holland America and Princess embarked on multi-week itineraries despite rapidly growing concerns about the virus.  My expectation is Holland America will face legal action from the families of the passengers who died as a result of their poor decision making.

The gaiety of shipboard life never appealed to me that much in the first place and I cruised when it was the most efficient and practical way to visit a specific place.  Those days are over. The only cruise I will entertain in future is Antarctica because there is no other way to see it.  Everywhere else can be visited in other ways.  

My sister-in- law cruised to Antarctica two years ago and said it was wonderful.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I hope I am wrong and that you continue to do both,George .Take your wife to your old neighborhood.

I did that a few years ago with some buddies from my childhood, still need to show her carrol gardens area along with Brooklyn promenade in Brooklyn Hights. 

11 hours ago, K32682 said:

The only cruise I will entertain in future is Antarctica because there is no other way to see it. 

That's what briefly brought us back to cruising. And we went on a smaller ship so we could and did actually get to go ashore. The big ships can't disembark. You'll love it.

IMG_6414.JPG