Hapag Lloyd Cruises refunds

directionfinder

Has anybody already got a refund from Hapag Lloyd cruises for a canceled cruise due to the Covid Pandemic?

My cruise was canceled 5 weeks ago, two weeks before the schedule departure.

With the cancelation I was informed that I will get a cash refund. In Germany this should be done within two weeks.

But till now nothing happened, I talked to them twice at phone, they not even have a date,  just nothing! 

What is your experience? 

Everything has been very slow with them since they were bought. I have been working on booking in 2022 and it’s been slow going, typically two weeks between emails, at least.

its an itinerary infrequently offered. It’s booking up pretty well, even within the last month or so,

We've been having the same problem.  We received a letter in March that our cruise (to Japan, early May) was canceled and we would be receiving a refund on our deposit to our bank account (ie, same way we paid).

As of mid-April, nothing.   Then, we got a phone call from their sales office, asking if we wanted to apply the deposit to another booking.  We said no thank you, please send us our refund.  She said okay.  But we never received anything. 

Two emails and two phone calls later, still nothing.  I think directionfinder has the right idea - a letter to Karl might do the trick!

My BTB cruise that was to start late May was cancelled last week but I have not yet asked for a refund.

I have not yet decided if I want a refund or 25% off a future cruise not already booked (if it sails before 4/30/21)

I have until late May to decide, but as I also have an October 2020 cruise booked (not sure if that will sail, though I have hope ports will open by then) and May 2021 cruise booked, selections are limited for times in between, as I don't want to book anything more before October to avoid suspense in September.

Last year when HL cancelled my Nature cruise, because the ship was not ready, it took over a month to get a refund, in good times and pre-merger.

Based on comments above, I better decide quickly what I want to do if they are not communicating very well or timely, otherwise late May will come and go .

On 4/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Jacqueline said:

Everything has been very slow with them since they were bought. I have been working on booking in 2022 and it’s been slow going, typically two weeks between emails, at least.

its an itinerary infrequently offered. It’s booking up pretty well, even within the last month or so,

Why not just book on the website to get things going?

After 6 weeks of no refund but e-mails and a letter about other things from H-L, we wrote a letter to the CEO. The letter is on its way right now. The law in Germany says that refunds are due within 14 days. I am extremely disappointed, not sure I will ever book another cruise with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Our upcoming back-to-back cruises on Europa 2 have just been cancelled (at last!) and we have opted for a refund.  It’s ‘only’ the deposit as final payment wasn’t quite due.  HL say that refunds will start to be made on 8 June and in chronological order.  I’ll report back on whether they do meet this date, or one soon after. There were various options to try to tempt passengers not to cancel, some of which seemed quite generous – eg 25% off any cruise leaving before next April. But at our age we didn’t want to take the risk in current circumstances.

We are beginning to emerge from the lockdown, more so in England than Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, who all make their own decisions on such matters. The key data all seem to be pointing in the right direction but it will surely be a slow process to get back to anything like normal.  We are now being asked to wear face masks in confined spaces, such as public transport and shops. Social distancing is a key requirement everywhere outside the home.

Incidentally, it seems to me that Hapag Lloyd may be better placed to resume cruising than many other lines as they have small ships with plenty of space per passenger.  Their web site explains what they are doing to get ready, and it looks impressive.  But of course the decision to resume won’t simply be in their hands, and I have yet to hear of a country that has announced it is ready to receive cruise ships.

9 hours ago, tiggis said:

I have yet to hear of a country that has announced it is ready to receive cruise ships.

Some countries are on complete lockdown. We are signed up for alerts in Peru because our cruise was supposed to end in Iquitos. The following came in today. Event: Beginning tomorrow, Monday, May 18, children under 14 are allowed to take a short 30-minute walk outside with an adult each day.  Remember to stay within 500 meters of your residence, wear a facemask, and maintain social distancing (at least two meters or six feet) between you and others.  This special exception is allowed only once per day and only during non-curfew hours.  For more information, please visit the Embassy's COVID-19 webpage at https://pe.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information.

23 cruise ships are outside Manila waiting their turn to disembark Crew from the Philippines.

On cruisemapper I saw that Hapag Lloyds MS Bremen is now on the way to Hamburg.

MS Bremen was supposed to do Russia Far east, Alaska and the North west Passage, so they must have given up this approach.

I was supposed to do Russia Far East and Alaska with Ponant, and it was also canceled last week. 

And Norway has extended the border closure till August, this would mean that Svalbard will also not possible! 

Today we got the cancellation for our family summer cruise around the UK on Mein Schiff 3. It was about time. Our flights had been canceled already. American cruise lines were a bit more prompt with the cancellations. All of Alaska and Canada are closed. All Europe cruises canceled as well.

23 cruise ships are at anchor near Manila waiting their turn to disembark Philippine crew. The ships then go into cold layover with minimal crew, maybe in Malaysia. Somewhere outside the Hurricane belts I would say.

I recently booked Russia Far East to Alaska on the Inspiration for 2022. It’s the next cruise that I have booked .

Time  will tell. I have a new grandchild expected this summer and another daughters wedding in 2021. We will plan something last minute when the time is right, but it won’t be on a cruiseship. With my luck, I would be on the ship that’s on the cruise to nowhere. When I was in Southeast Asia in February, I followed the diamond princess saga. 

One day at a time here in NY where we have been home for two months, with over 60 dinners prepared in my own kitchen!

1 hour ago, MsSommelier said:

Well, what do you know?  Our refund arrived in our account this morning!

Prima! When did you send your letter? 

I just saw your cruise was planned in May, my cruise was planned end of march, 

so I might have been earlier in line ....

I decided to request a refund on my cancelled late May BTB cruises several weeks ago on an email, . After no response of any kind for two weeks, I reminded them on email of my request and that German law requires refund within 14 days.  I got an apologetic reply, referencing the corona circumstances.  They said it would ‘help them a lot’ if I were to take the future cruise credit instead.  Meanwhile a bunch of catalogues appeared, but no refund.

Hamburg, Kiel, and Travemuende ports are still closed.