Received credit for cancelled flights

skings

Hello,  just wanted to let you folks know that my bank has given me credit for my disputed cancelled flights. Hated to do it, but $800 in my pocket will help plan

a closer to home trip next winter.

It may be more helpful to other posters if you would clarify:

-what date your flight was scheduled for

-the itinerary your were scheduled to fly

-the airline

-whether you purchased directly from the airline or through a cruise line

-if the airline canceled your flight or if you did

On 4/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, skings said:

Tap Portugal CDG to MIA May 5th was cancelled by airline but they only offered Furture Flight

Norwegian Air Cdg to Mia 4/30 cancelled with offer for cash back.

Was this a non-refundable flight?  I just filed a dispute against Air Canada for my cancelled flight to Rome at the end of May.  Don’t want future credit which is all they offer.

Thanks.

Edited by mike72ss

On 4/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, skings said:

Tap Portugal CDG to MIA May 5th was cancelled by airline but they only offered Furture Flight

As this is a flight departing the EU and also operated by an EU based airline, it should be eligible for compensation under EU261.  Unless there is something in the regulations that excludes such a flight, either because of the virus itself or because of some kind of government restriction on the international nature of the flight.  Try calling them and telling them you want the EU261 compensation that you are due and see what they say.

• Thanks 1

American LAS to FCO  on Sept 30 and returning VCE to LAS both TALT segments were canceled a few weeks ago. Called AA 10 days ago to request a refund, refunds posted to my credit card account today.

United LAS to BUD and back in May. I jumped the gun and canceled as soon as they issued  waiver on th re-booking fee but I was able to call and turn it in a ETC good for two years at full value. Thy also endted a flight we had to cancel in November to an 2 year ETC.  

Now if Princess and Celebrity would do to as well I would be happy but they won't 60 days for princess, 45 for Celebrity

18 hours ago, skings said:

Hi Both flights were non refundable.

If you flight is eligible for compensation under EU261, the fact that they were otherwise nonrefundable doesn't matter.  Again, I don't know how the current situation fits into the guidelines for EU261 but it's certainly worth looking into.  Sometimes airlines that have to pay compensation because of it are not exactly forthright about that with the passenger, and will try to offer a voucher instead. 

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

If you flight is eligible for compensation under EU261, the fact that they were otherwise nonrefundable doesn't matter.  Again, I don't know how the current situation fits into the guidelines for EU261 but it's certainly worth looking into.  Sometimes airlines that have to pay compensation because of it are not exactly forthright about that with the passenger, and will try to offer a voucher instead. 

These flights fall under EU261 (leaving from France) also DOT (landing USA) Norwegian has said they would refund, but no date or time given. Tap only offered ffc. Chase (my bank) has given me credit while they investigate. I suppose the airlines can protest to VISA but dont know if they will. I disputed immediately when airlines cancelled flights

Just an FYI regarding British Airways and cancelled flight:

o Had flights on BA for 5/31-6/15: Houston to Rome & London to Houston, purchased online direct from BA for June Med Cruise

o BA sent email cancelling flight on 4/20, with instr for voucher (online) or $ refund (call)

o Called BA on 4/21, was on hold approx 30+ min, requested $ refund

o Today, 4/24 a FULL $$ Credit appeared on CC account!!

BRAVO British Airways!

Now the long wait for refund on cancelled Cruise.  

Stay safe and healthy!

54 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

As we live in Canada and used a cdn airline we don't qualify for the EU 261. Our air was from Barcelona to Toronto

OntarioCruiser

If the flight originated in the EU, it absolutely is subject to EU 261.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Twickenham said:

If the flight originated in the EU, it absolutely is subject to EU 261.

Westjet when I asked them today I was told no. Can you tell me where I can find proof that I can show them. I also spoke to Choiceair again today. They are holding an open ticket so they are going back for the 3rd time for refund.

CTA might be rethinking the refund policy. ONTARIOCRUISER

3 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Westjet when I asked them today I was told no. Can you tell me where I can find proof that I can show them. I also spoke to Choiceair again today. They are holding an open ticket so they are going back for the 3rd time for refund.

CTA might be rethinking the refund policy. ONTARIOCRUISER

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Airlines right now are bleeding money, and trying every trick in the book to keep cash in their coffers. While I do have a certain amount of sympathy for them, I have no patience with companies trying to weasel out of their legal responsibilities.

• Like 1

I was able to get TAP, after 6 weeks and countless twitter DMs, including sending them the link to the DOT ruling about refunds being required for flights THEY cancelled, that operate to or from the USA, to refund my clients' tickets.  Not sure how long it will take but they finally agreed that we're right and they have to refund the money.

Persistence and knowing the rules pays off.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 4:40 PM, Ontario Cruiser said:

As we live in Canada and used a cdn airline we don't qualify for the EU 261. Our air was from Barcelona to Toronto

OntarioCruiser

They are feeding you a line of BS, hoping you won't know better.  EU261 covers any flight operated by an EU-based airline, regardless of route, AND flights operated by non-EU based airlines that are departing from an airport in the EU.  Your flight would be the latter example. 

3 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Where do I find this information both Westjet and Cruiseair keep saying cdn airlines don't qualify for EU 261

Ontario Cruiser

A simple search for "EU261 Airline" will give you plenty of reference material and information.