$2 Safari Bus Question....

jsfountain

i understand that there is a "safari bus" system on St Thomas. i would like to take this bus to the Red Hook ferry to travel to St Johns. does anyone know where to catch these buses from the main cruise dock?? and what time do they come by? do i need to exit the cruise terminal and go out to the main road outside the terminal to catch it?

and finally, what do they look like?

thanks for any help.

jeff

Hello Jeff,

You won't be able to catch 'dollar rides' or the public bus from the cruise dock. You have to exit the cruise dock area and get on the main road. I don't know that the dollar ride has a set schedule. The dollar rides are run in safari buses. A safari bus is a truck, the truck bed has been converted into a covered seating area with benches. Not all safari buses are dollar rides; some are regular taxis.

--Islander

http://www.*****

When you leave the cruise dock, turn left and head towards Wendy's (easy to

>see).

>Wendy's is on Mandela Circle (which, remember is not a circle but a traffic

>intersection).

>Cross the road and stand on the left hand side, and wait for the jitney

>bus;

>they run often, and are open-air trucks. (If you look up the road, you'll

>see a Pueblo Super Market on the right hand side, and further up is a

>K-Mart

>on the left) Tell the driver you want to go to Red Hook, and ask him if he

>is going all the way there. You want to ride one that is going all the way

>to Red Hook, not just to the K-Mart. Islanders call the Red Hook route

>"country", so the driver may say he is "going country", which is fine. Just

>hop on the back, and don't get off until you get to Red Hook. The rate

>should be $1 or $2 per person, but no more!

>

>The bus will make a circle of the island (people hop on and off), and

>eventually you will come to the Ferry Dock at Red Hook. The bus stops

>right

>in front of the marina stores; get off.

It's really a lot of fun to ride the jitney bus,

>and an inexpensive way to get across the island.

>

>When you are ready to return from our dock at Red Hook, the jitney bus stop

>is right out front, so easy to catch back to cruise dock/Mandela Circle

>stop.

This info is directly from someone on the island!!!

Hope this helps. I, too am looking for information. I was wondering if the Jitney goes to Coki or Sapphire Beach?

Any help would be aprreciated.

Michele

>

This is excellent advice and mirrors our experience a few months ago. Riding these open safari buses was a neat experience. You see all the tourists paying $8-10 per person each way, you see all the locals riding these buses... hummmm.

We had a group of 6.. it added up!

And they are fun, safe, and run often. Brian

Brian-

Did the open bus (Jitney) also go to any of the beaches. ie coki and sapphire.....What places did you see with the family of 6....would like advise!

I know it goes to Red Hook, as we did that, but are wondering if it goes any further and if so where?

Thanks

Michele

I would also like to hear more details on getting to Coki using the Dollar Rides/Safari Buses/Jitneys (am I forgetting any other alias? ha). More importantly, how do you know when you need to get off and start the 10 minute walk, and how do you know if you can catch one on the way back around 5pm or so? I know there's no set schedule. Thx!

I pretty much want to stay around the International Plaza/downtown area, but really want to go to Mt. Top....just to say I've been there...done it, and try one of those famous Banana Daiquiris

Would the Safari bus get us there?

Hello -

Michele, the public bus route and the dollar ride route are very much similar. The East End route which includes Red Hook also passes Sapphire and Coki. You would get off on the main road and walk to the beach from there.

Cpizzull, If its Coki you are heading to there is a Coral World sign on the roadside. You can also ask other passengers or tell the driver where you want to get off.

Mizzcard, the public bus route & dollar ride route is limited to non-existant in the northside of the island and that is where Mt. Top is located.

--Islander

http://www.*****

The safaris run more frequently when there are fewer ships in town, because those same safaris also operate as taxis for tourists on heavy ship days.

Keep in mind that traffic gets extremely heavy when lots of ships are in town, so don't try to wait until the last minue if you're relying on $2 safaris. Allow plenty of time to wait and catch a safari, and include waiting time in traffic to get back to the ship. Regular taxi drivers won't be making stops to pick up EVERY LOCAL ALONG THE ROUTE, so you'll get to your destination quicker (usually) if you're using a regular taxi. Maybe use safari to get there, and consider regular taxi getting back to the ship?

Archived