Jump to content

Grand New England -- 01 Aug. 2020


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

Anyone else booked on this sailing, aboard ACL  Constitution?  Hope it will still sail -- have not heard any thing contrary from the cruise line -- keeping fingers crossed.

 

NRayH

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're scheduled to sail at that time too, but on the Harmony, Complete Mississippi.  I'm guessing 50-50 chance at this point.  Just discovered that a couple days ago ACL changed their "cancelled through..." date from May 17th to May 31st.  Guess I'll have to keep checking their website on an almost daily basis from now on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/19/2020 at 8:57 AM, Ray in NH said:

Hi All,

 

Anyone else booked on this sailing, aboard ACL  Constitution?  Hope it will still sail -- have not heard any thing contrary from the cruise line -- keeping fingers crossed.

 

NRayH

Hi, we are booked for  the August 21 sailing.  Hopefully you will be able to go and then post some comments.  Keeping an eye on the port openings should help give us an idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 3:35 PM, glenbrook said:

Hi, we are booked for  the August 21 sailing.  Hopefully you will be able to go and then post some comments.  Keeping an eye on the port openings should help give us an idea.

We're booked on the Constitution on the July 22nd sailing.  I see that the Bar Harbor port has been closed by the Maine Governor.  I can't seem to find any other information on other ports in Maine and their tentative opening.  As of today, June 22nd, American has not indicated that the sailing has been cancelled as was the case with their earlier sailing on the Columbia and Snake River.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 5:57 AM, Ray in NH said:

Hi All,

 

Anyone else booked on this sailing, aboard ACL  Constitution?  Hope it will still sail -- have not heard any thing contrary from the cruise line -- keeping fingers crossed.

 

NRayH


Hello again, Ray!

i am still hoping for you that your Grand New England Cruise will still take place. By August things may have turned around - hopefully!

i can’t recall whether or not I have previously shared My Cruise Journal from my own Grand New England Cruise in July of 2018, but I will give you the link to it below:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=631293

Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

~Ron

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Just heard from our Travel Agent that ACL has cancelled our 01 August cruise (Grand New England) 😒

They are offering an immediate full (cash/check) rebate, at their convenience, or 125% Future Cruise Credit.

Since we were planning on booking another ACL cruise whilst aboard, we will most likely take the Future Cruise Credit.

Fortunately, there were no flights needed for this cruise - so no hassle there.

This is the third cruise we have had cancelled this year --  that is getting "an old feeling" quickly.

 

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful day.

 

NRayH

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

Hi All,

 

Just heard from our Travel Agent that ACL has cancelled our 01 August cruise (Grand New England) 😒

They are offering an immediate full (cash/check) rebate, at their convenience, or 125% Future Cruise Credit.

Since we were planning on booking another ACL cruise whilst aboard, we will most likely take the Future Cruise Credit.

Fortunately, there were no flights needed for this cruise - so no hassle there.

This is the third cruise we have had cancelled this year --  that is getting "an old feeling" quickly.

 

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful day.

 

NRayH


Ray,

So sorry to hear of this cancellation although it came as no real surprise. Once I read of Bar Harbor’s decision NOT to allow any cruise ships, including ACL’s, it became clear to me that the Grand New England cruise would not be running. Since your home is not far away, do you plan on rebooking the same Grand New England cruise later with ACL?

Best wishes and stay well.

~Ron

Edited by CdMAgFox
Remove a word
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CdMAgFox said:


Ray,

So sorry to hear of this cancellation although it came as no real surprise. Once I read of Bar Harbor’s decision NOT to allow any cruise ships, including ACL’s, it became clear to me that the Grand New England cruise would not be running. Since your home is not far away, do you plan on rebooking the same Grand New England cruise later with ACL?

Best wishes and stay well.

~Ron

Hi Ron,

 

Thank you for the "Well Wishes".

 

Not sure if we will re-book this same cruise next year.

We were planning on booking another cruise whilst on board -- perhaps the Ohio River, or the Upper (or Full) Mississippi, or possibly the Ohio River.  We will have a "boatload" (pun-intended) of Future Cruise Credit, so time will tell just what we end up doing.

We do enjoy the ACL "experience" -- our next one will be either #7 or #8 ??  Tough getting "old".

 

NRayH

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ray,

I am so sorry to learn your cruise has been canceled. I am a travel agent so have been keeping an eye out for that to happen and I expect our August 21 sailing also will be a no-go. Have not heard yet but hoping ACL lets me know soon as we have flights booked that need to be changed.  The Maine governor has been very strict so will not be surprised if more ports are  closed to all cruise ships until next year. We live in Florida now but used to live in New England. We have a house on Cape Cod and have plans to go there following the cruise so will need to change flights if our cruise gets canceled. This has been a crazy, sad year in the travel business but we all will get through it together.  Stay well and stay safe. Will post here when I know the status of our sailing.  Chris

 

Edited by glenbrook
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

Hi All,

 

Just heard from our Travel Agent that ACL has cancelled our 01 August cruise (Grand New England) 😒

They are offering an immediate full (cash/check) rebate, at their convenience, or 125% Future Cruise Credit.

Since we were planning on booking another ACL cruise whilst aboard, we will most likely take the Future Cruise Credit.

Fortunately, there were no flights needed for this cruise - so no hassle there.

This is the third cruise we have had cancelled this year --  that is getting "an old feeling" quickly.

 

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful day.

 

NRayH

Ray, sorry to hear this

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Actually, in this case it was the town of Bar Harbor that said not even small ships can come.

Yes, I knew that about Bar Harbor, but I wrote I would not be surprised IF more ports also close down too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

We are looking to book for early September for the Grand New England tour, so Ron- your post will be wonderful to read shortly!  Anyone have any advice on the following:   video tours of the ship, bacony vs is it really beneficial?, will the foliage start turning in sept? anyones guess,   how did ada accomodations seem as far as dining common areas for a walker (sadly I use one at age 46), any and all suggestions welcomed!  We are happy to return the favor on advice as we live in St. Augustine, Florida :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, penguinkat01 said:

We are looking to book for early September for the Grand New England tour, so Ron- your post will be wonderful to read shortly!  Anyone have any advice on the following:   video tours of the ship, bacony vs is it really beneficial?, will the foliage start turning in sept? anyones guess,   how did ada accomodations seem as far as dining common areas for a walker (sadly I use one at age 46), any and all suggestions welcomed!  We are happy to return the favor on advice as we live in St. Augustine, Florida 🙂


Hello,

 

In regard to your question about balcony vs. window, you should be aware that almost all of the cabins aboard the ACL Constitution are balcony staterooms; only a few cabins at the front of the lowest deck have only windows. Since I travel alone, and my booking was at the last minute, I had to take Room 203 - a single cabin with only a window, which turned out to be just fine, BUT no balcony!

 

As far as the dining room goes, it is quite spacious and I would foresee no problems with your walker. Fortunately there are two elevators so getting around should pose no problem either. The lounges, however, might offer some difficulty since they are quite crowded with sofas and over-stuffed chairs along with small tables.

 

The best source of viewing details of the riverboat is, of course, the American Cruise Lines website, www.americancruiselines.com

 

As to whether or not the colors will be changing in September, my guess is that they will be although the changing takes place first inland and then later near the coast.

 

Good luck with your booking and have a great time in New England!

 

~Ron

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ron, well our August 21 Grand New England sailing just got canceled this week. I figured that might happen but still sad it did. How soon did ACL refund your fare once your sailing was canceled?  I have to cancel flights, hotels and post cruise plans as we have decided to stay put here in Florida for now. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, penguinkat01 said:

We are looking to book for early September for the Grand New England tour, so Ron- your post will be wonderful to read shortly!  Anyone have any advice on the following:   video tours of the ship, bacony vs is it really beneficial?, will the foliage start turning in sept? anyones guess,   how did ada accomodations seem as far as dining common areas for a walker (sadly I use one at age 46), any and all suggestions welcomed!  We are happy to return the favor on advice as we live in St. Augustine, Florida 🙂

Hi, just a quick reply to your question  about foliage.  As a former long time New Englander I believe if you really want to see the colors a cruise is not the way to do it. Bar Harbor would have some color in mid Sep but not the other ports. Vermont and New Hampshire are the places to go in late Sep. for best viewing. Hope this helps. Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glenbrook said:

Hi Ron, well our August 21 Grand New England sailing just got canceled this week. I figured that might happen but still sad it did. How soon did ACL refund your fare once your sailing was canceled?  I have to cancel flights, hotels and post cruise plans as we have decided to stay put here in Florida for now. 
 

Hi glenbrook,

 

I am not Ron, but we also had our Grand New England Cruise cancelled.  Ours was scheduled to sail on 01 August.  We received our notice of cancellation on around the 16th of July; we opted to take the 125% Future Cruise Credit and received notification of it being granted on 20 July.   I do not know if a refund check would have had the same time-table.

I hope this helps.

 

NRayH

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glenbrook said:

Hi Ron, well our August 21 Grand New England sailing just got canceled this week. I figured that might happen but still sad it did. How soon did ACL refund your fare once your sailing was canceled?  I have to cancel flights, hotels and post cruise plans as we have decided to stay put here in Florida for now. 
 


Hi, Ron here;
Just replying to your question about ACL’s refund schedule. Since I have not yet experienced an ACL cancellation, I can not comment. My Pearl Seas cruise last May to the Canadian Maritimes & St. Lawrence Seaway WAS cancelled and I received a refund check for the entire amount from them! As I recall, it was not too long after their cancellation that the refund was made. I was thrilled that they chose to refund me by check instead of reversing my credit card charge, and a bit surprised; this avoided having the miles deducted from my credit card account. Sorry I was of no help to you.

~Ron

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, penguinkat01 said:

We are looking to book for early September for the Grand New England tour, so Ron- your post will be wonderful to read shortly!  Anyone have any advice on the following:   video tours of the ship, bacony vs is it really beneficial?, will the foliage start turning in sept? anyones guess,   how did ada accomodations seem as far as dining common areas for a walker (sadly I use one at age 46), any and all suggestions welcomed!  We are happy to return the favor on advice as we live in St. Augustine, Florida 🙂

Hi

We have never done a New England cruise, but did do a road trip in September, some years ago.  Here is a link to a travelogue with pictures.         http://www.vermontbridges.com/keatings invermont.htm

Tom

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...