Positive Note about Caribbean Islands

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Florida must be doing great.🙄

Actually we are doing great per capita...and another thing like I already said... most of our cases are from infected people from high contagious areas fleeing to our state to escape. Once the real heat and humidity start in month or so check back. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rolloman said:

Actually we are doing great per capita...and another thing like I already said... most of our cases are from infected people from high contagious areas fleeing to our state to escape. Once the real heat and humidity start in month or so check back. 

Maybe we should all be heading to the Caribbean. Get the ships fired up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe we should all be heading to the Caribbean. Get the ships fired up.

I agree... as long as it is cruises to nowhere or to private island destinations. All boarding passengers and crew must be tested prior to sailing and the cruises should be short in length. 

Edited by rolloman
sp

2 hours ago, lr657 said:

Florida is #9 out of the top 10 states with the most cases in the US. It currently has almost 26,000 cases. The 45-54 year old age range had the highest number of  those cases. Actually the age ranges from 65-85+ had the lowest amounts. It's been hot and humid here for months. I doubt that heat and humidity had a large affect on the virus. 

You do know we are the third biggest state.  😉

So being at the bottom of the top 10 is pretty darn good😎

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

I’ve been wondering if there’s any security at Labadee, every time we sail away you see workers staying behind.  Thought the same about CocoCay but mostly Labadee.

There is a builing near the merchants' area where some of the staff live. I have no idea if a guard is kept by the compound gate all night or not or if the waterfront is watched for intruders.

34 minutes ago, Ukigirl said:

I’ve been wondering if there’s any security at Labadee, every time we sail away you see workers staying behind.  Thought the same about CocoCay but mostly Labadee.

Obviously you have never walked as far as the barbed wire topped fence and seen the guards with guns. Only locals with a work permit get in, and except for rare cases cruise passengers are not allowed out. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

A Government lab just proved that this virus does not survive in sunlight and hot/humid temps. This is a good thing. I will look for the link and post. See if this link works.

https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

This might give us some breathing room this summer to find better treatments, Remedisivir is one and a vaccine as well.

I am sure Singapore will be happy to hear that since they are getting hit with a second wave right near the equator with temps over 90 with high humidity.   Their curve is tilting upward, even though they have managed it well in the early days.  Yet again if the testing describes in the article impacts the transfer of the virus  then they should not be having the problem at all.  But yet it does.

Basically the best the article means is that outside surfaces in the sun might be ok to touch, and not transfer, but inside, not so much. Nor would it keep direct person to person transfer from occurring within 6 feet. So at best it might slow it to some degree, but since it seems to be transferring even in hot humid climates, the impact inside the US or Europe might not mean much.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Then why are the numbers so low in Africa?

Hasn't had time to spread there yet.  Less international travel than Europe and the US to bring it in.  It is expected to develop into a major problem there.  Of course very poor countries, limited hospitals, limited testing, lots of deaths at home.  Probably will not see most of the cases there show up in any data.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

You got to export a lot of your infected when the Spring Breakers left and went back home.😉

Keep in mind that the average time to death after onset of symptoms is 14 days.  So they will lag news cases by a few weeks.

10 minutes ago, npcl said:

I am sure Singapore will be happy to hear that since they are getting hit with a second wave right near the equator with temps over 90 with high humidity.   Their curve is tilting upward, even though they have managed it well in the early days.  Yet again if the testing describes in the article impacts the transfer of the virus  then they should not be having the problem at all.  But yet it does.

Basically the best the article means is that outside surfaces in the sun might be ok to touch, and not transfer, but inside, not so much. Nor would it keep direct person to person transfer from occurring within 6 feet. So at best it might slow it to some degree, but since it seems to be transferring even in hot humid climates, the impact inside the US or Europe might not mean much.

Yep

Screenshot_20200418-214123_Google.thumb.jpg.9cdcfb67535fcb5b607b1b19da752056.jpg

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

I agree that Florida is doing fairly well on a per capita basis and that a substantial number of cases here are travel related.  

People have been told so firmly and repeatedly to “stay home” and many have taken it quite literally.  They are now barely outdoors, so they are not experiencing the heat nor the humidity...many barely get any sunshine in the sunshine state.  They express tremendous fear they will pick up the virus on a breeze from people yards away.

To really experience the heat and humidity we’d have to turn off the AC.  And that’s not happening.  If it did, it would probably cause more problems than the virus.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, npcl said:

You got to export a lot of your infected when the Spring Breakers left and went back home.😉

Keep in mind that the average time to death after onset of symptoms is 14 days.  So they will lag news cases by a few weeks.

See, I look at it quite the opposite. The nasty, non social distancing idiots, made new friends and took their bugs home.

They weren't 'ours' to begin with. Luckily I was under house arrest during Spring Break

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

See, I look at it quite the opposite. The nasty, non social distancing idiots, made new friends and took their bugs home.

They weren't 'ours' to begin with. Luckily I was under house arrest during Spring Break

That's exactly what happened.  

13 minutes ago, npcl said:

Spring breakers were not “our infected”.  Some came to us infected.  Not surprising as they come from multicultural universities, often in large cities.  Many international visitors, speakers, conferences, trips by professors, etc.  Consider them a source of disease in FL, then they spread it to one another.  If they had partied at a bars and frats and friend’s homes that week, they would have spread it there instead.  Stupid behavior no matter where it happens had the same outcome.  Stop blaming the beach.  Look at your young adults.

Some people came on spring break, practiced social distancing, cleaned surfaces, ate carry out, did not party, and did not run a high risk of getting sick.  More mature types.  Careful.  Smart.  It can be done.

Other irresponsible college students might party in big groups on campus, then party on the trip down, and party in their packed hotel rooms, then party on the way back. Even enforcing social distancing on beach does not help; they are irresponsible people.  If those students are from your state, take it up with their parents.

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I heard a doctor say the reason we dont have as many colds and flu during the summer is because droplets dont travel as far when it's hot and humid. In the winter a droplet that travels for instance 4 ft might only travel 2 ft. That heat doesnt kill the virus only make it harder to catch.

Good news if true that sunlight kills it. First time I've seen that.

The doc is not quite right.

In high heat, the droplets, and thus the virus, dries out quickly.  And drying inactivates the virus.

23 hours ago, lr657 said:

Don't think this is actually proven according to this article. If this is true, why has Florida had so many cases. Our temps have been in the 80's with high humidity for months?

As a Floridian, I would look at where in Florida the hot spots are rather than look at the state as a whole. The vast majority of Florida's 67 counties are virtually virus free. the exceptions seem to be Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach (all cruise port counties), and the Orlando MSA (a major tourist hub)

Top ten counties in Florida with the most cases of Coronavirus.  Nine out of the 10 are beach resort areas, with the exception of Orange County aka WDW aka Orlando.

1.   Miami-Dade (Miami Beach)

2.   Broward  (Ft Lauderdale)

3.   Palm Beach (West Palm Beach)

4.   Orange (Orlando)

5.   Hillsborough (Tampa)

6.   Duval (Jacksonville)

7.   Lee  (Ft Myers/Cape Coral)

8.   Pinellas  (St Petersburg)

9.   Collier  (Naples)

10. Manatee  (Bradenton)

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Edited by Plum Happy

18 hours ago, rolloman said:

Really? We have not had high humidity yet.....and most of our cases are traced back to people fleeing infected areas like NY. 

The theory in NY is that the infection came from Europe. Kind of snuck in the back door while all eyes were on China, Washington state and the Princess cruise ship in SF.  With a large amount of international tourist visiting Florida, I'd be surprised if patient zero didnt come from Europe and not the knucklehead who knowingly flew Jetblue from JFK while infected.

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Where do you rank in testing? You have to look for something to find it 😉

NY has 5% of the population, yet accounts for 15-20% of the nations testing. Might be a little less now as other states catch up. On a per captia basis, NY tests more than most countries, including South Korea,  which is the gold standard of testing. 

• Like 1