Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Kokomo91165

Suggestions RCL needs to do to get people cruising again

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

A couple weeks ago i suggested leaving out of Freeport by using high speed ferrys from Ft Lauderdale 😉

Wouldn't that present the same problem problem if someone got the virus? Returning to Fla. port was an issue for cruise lines, I'm thinking it would be the same for the ferries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hazence said:

Okay. So you ban all cruisers over a certain age.

 

The other high risk group is young people with underlying conditions. How can Royal make sure they don’t get onboard because one of them infecting several others could ALSO overwhelm the ship’s medical capacity. 
 

How are you containing that similar risk? Everyone forced to get physicals? 
 

This high risk group is no less of a problem. So what’s the plan?

 

Ok, I agree with you, seniors and young people may have the same risk of bringing the virus onto a cruise ship.  The issue is what happens when they get sick.  Seniors have far worse outcomes and the ship does not have the capability to handle a lot of seriously ill seniors.   The plan is to keep seniors with other serious health conditions off the ship to protect the seniors.  Anyone with the same conditions should also stay off the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

True Bahamas is not part of the US, that's not what I was referring to. It was totally about US ports.

How many people going to fly to the Bahamas to catch a cruise ship?  

Why wouldn't they? People fly to cruises all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But if I accept the data, I’m still waiting to hear how the Cruise companies can handle the threat from younger individuals with underlying conditions that pose the same problems in terms of overwhelming the ships medical resources.

 

Do you believe Physicians will take the legal risk to issue...”He’s okay” letters? Would their malpractice insurance protect them if they missed something and another Diamond Princess incident evolved?

 

Whats the plan for the other high risk demographic?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

You have convinced me that you don't believe in data.

Hell I'm confused with data now. We are supposedly flattening the curve but we've had a spike in the amount of positive tests along with the number of deaths.

 

It changes daily, and the big concern is trying to get back to normal , opening up things and the 2nd wave hits. I just think relaxing things people will throw caution to the wind and that will/would be a huge setback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hazence said:

Okay. So you ban all cruisers over a certain age.

 

The other high risk group is young people with underlying conditions. How can Royal make sure they don’t get onboard because one of them infecting several others could ALSO overwhelm the ship’s medical capacity. 
 

How are you containing that similar risk? Everyone forced to get physicals? 
 

This high risk group is no less of a problem. So what’s the plan?

High risk does not mean they are more likely to pass it on to anyone else.  High risk means that they have a greater chance of developing serious complications that require advanced treatment that Royal can’t provide.  Everyone regardless of age with identified high risks is required to disclose those risks and they won’t be allowed to sail.  

 

That being said, there is a good chance that the whole Drs note, risk group will go away and not be a requirement when cruising resumes or it will drop off shortly after things stabilize.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Why wouldn't they? People fly to cruises all the time. 

Sure they fly into US ports , would they be willing to fly to Bahamas? 

Haven't checked  in a awhile however now your talking about connecting flights, possibly plane changes. I think most flights to Bahamas from the east coast connect through Florida/Miami 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What generation is the 70's crowd?  Boomers, correct.  If you look, all us boomers were born after a world war.  If you look at how many boomers are alive there are so many more than any other age group.  If you just look at numbers, it would make sense that there would be more deaths in that age group.  Which still does not mean they should be banned from cruising.  A 70 year old taking medication to control blood pressure, diabetes, etc is more healthy than a 40 year old who has a condition but is not taking anything for it.  I think the way to settle this is to let us 70+ people do all the cruising and they should ban anyone under 70.  How would that make all you people who want to get rid of the older cruisers feel.  Probably like you make us feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, rimmit said:


Unfortunately the power of positive thinking is not gonna get us out of this mess.

Doesn't matter, I believe in being positive instead of negative.  I believe in thinking the best instead of the worst.  I live my life day by day.  Whatever happens, happens.  Been through way to much in my life to be negative about anything. I live every day to the fullest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A vaccine would be nice.  Until then - rapid test everyone before they get on the ship.  Have Rapid tests onboard.  Anyone have early symptoms - dry cough, fever, lack of taste - test them.  Quarantine them for the remainder of the cruise.  Yikes if you have an inside cabin.

 

Locally - 71 agriculture workers living in the same facility.  All were tested.  Not one had any symptoms.  36 tested positive!  This was just announced today.  I'd like to know where they got the test kits.  My husband works with seniors and has been told he can't be tested unless he has symptoms.  Grrrrrrr.

 

We need to realize that asymptomatic people are dangerous to us all - but the lack of available testing is a real problem.

 

I have a cruise scheduled for late October . . . .  we'll see.

 

Edited by crilski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

High risk does not mean they are more likely to pass it on to anyone else.  High risk means that they have a greater chance of developing serious complications that require advanced treatment that Royal can’t provide.  Everyone regardless of age with identified high risks is required to disclose those risks and they won’t be allowed to sail.  

 

That being said, there is a good chance that the whole Drs note, risk group will go away and not be a requirement when cruising resumes or it will drop off shortly after things stabilize.  

I really hope you are right.  We are in our middle + 70's and are pretty healthy.  That said, we feel any doctor would not want to sign the note as written. I know that our physician cannot predict the future and will not sign.

We have  several b2b's already booked and I would hate to have to cancel or even think about taking a FCC that I would never be able to use. 

Going to try and be positive, Hoping for a safe and healthy cruising future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Doesn't matter, I believe in being positive instead of negative.  I believe in thinking the best instead of the worst.  I live my life day by day.  Whatever happens, happens.  Been through way to much in my life to be negative about anything. I live every day to the fullest.


I live every life to the fullest as well, and even in the current conditions try to make lemons out of lemonade.  I truly applaud you for the positive attitude and wish more people were like you. 

 

While I am massive proponent for living each day as it’s your last (and Anyone that knows me knows I am a pretty half full kinda guy and am always up for anything) I am simply stating that no amount of positive thinking is getting those cruise ships moving.
 

 

 

 

Edited by rimmit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karena1 said:

Just believe in positive thinking. 

It was "positive thinking" from some leaders that got us into this mess!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Wouldn't that present the same problem problem if someone got the virus? Returning to Fla. port was an issue for cruise lines, I'm thinking it would be the same for the ferries.

 

Probably, it was in jest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

What generation is the 70's crowd?  Boomers, correct.  If you look, all us boomers were born after a world war.  If you look at how many boomers are alive there are so many more than any other age group.  If you just look at numbers, it would make sense that there would be more deaths in that age group.  Which still does not mean they should be banned from cruising.  A 70 year old taking medication to control blood pressure, diabetes, etc is more healthy than a 40 year old who has a condition but is not taking anything for it.  I think the way to settle this is to let us 70+ people do all the cruising and they should ban anyone under 70.  How would that make all you people who want to get rid of the older cruisers feel.  Probably like you make us feel.

 

Go back and look at data Hoopster shared in post #32

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

True Bahamas is not part of the US, that's not what I was referring to. It was totally about US ports.

How many people going to fly to the Bahamas to catch a cruise ship?  

 

For those of us that have to fly, the Bahamas is as good as, if not better than most Florida ports. Especially Canaveral. They'd have to build up a ton of infrastructure... but it could work if US ports get closed off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Seniors have far worse outcomes and the ship does not have the capability to handle a lot of seriously ill seniors.

 

One of the things we don't know... and probably won't for years is whether seniors have far worse outcomes because of being old itself... or because old people tend to have more underlying conditions. The difference is subtle, but would have serious legal ramification. 

 

Anyway, it may be "fun" to talk about, but from a practical standpoint it makes no difference. If we reach the point where people over 70 can't cruise... or people who aren't in perfect health can't cruse... the industry is dead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

 

For those of us that have to fly, the Bahamas is as good as, if not better than most Florida ports. Especially Canaveral. They'd have to build up a ton of infrastructure... but it could work if US ports get closed off. 

 

What's wrong with Canaveral?

Flights into Orlando are plentiful and cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, crilski said:

Locally - 71 agriculture workers living in the same facility.  All were tested.  Not one had any symptoms.  36 tested positive! 

 

There are a lot of "bad" tests out there with high false positives. There's no way we can require everybody to be tested and them locked them in the brig for a positive test unless the test is pretty darn accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John&LaLa said:

 

What's wrong with Canaveral?

Flights into Orlando are plentiful and cheap

 

The getting from Orlando to Canaveral. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

 

The getting from Orlando to Canaveral. 

 

Piece of cake. 

 

If you think flying international is easier, I'm shocked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I know someone. 
 

In my opinion 

 

Mine is pretty accommodating 😷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Nothing.

 

There are enough hard core cruisers that need a cruise fix so bad they would book a voyage on the Titanic if they could 

 

Of course, they would be the first to complain when they couldn't use their C&A status to get priority boarding access to the life boats after hitting the iceberg. 😄

or they would deny that the ship is sinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...