WILL THERE REALLY BE EUROPEAN CRUISES IN 2020?

PoohUnderstands

I am beginning to read posts on FB that suggest no.  One individual from Portugal said the EU was not going to allow ports to be opened until end of 2020 at earliest.  Hearing Spain and Italy are saying similar things.  Hearing that due to all the stuff going on that Enchanted cruises "might" not even start until the Nov.5th TA from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale.  I would hope that the governments involved and then the cruise lines would just cancel cruises immediately and not wait.  With the above posts now coming along, I don't think that I will be going on my Aug.29-Sept.12th Enchanted cruise and already have $10,000 in FCC due to recently cancelled cruises.  Don' t want any more.  Have you guys heard any concrete information about late summer and fall in Europe?

Pooh

We cancelled our Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Crown. We saw that Norway had closed 2 of our ports, and felt they were more likely to close more than open those. We also wondered about our flights to and from London, would they still be flying at the times we had them booked.

5 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

I am beginning to read posts on FB that suggest no...  Have you guys heard any concrete information about late summer and fall in Europe?

Pooh

Is Fakebook a reliable source of information?

I'm taking things one month at a time. Have cancelled cruises that can be refunded. Will not make final payment on the last one. Will only use my FCC on a cruise as a last-minute deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We're wondering what the situation will be for Australia and New Zealand.... We're booked for November/December.

Having had all that fun working towards elite status and now you do not get the chance to enjoy it.

• Like 1

Probably like everyone else I have been keeping an eye on cruises for later in the year and also their prices which would appear to be very good at the moment. I'm not confident at all that we will be doing any cruises before the new year. I'm not sure our government will risk opening the borders much before the end of the year. In some respects we are fortunate that we are an island. It is probably easier for us to control our borders than it is for European countries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joybook said:

I'm not sure our government will risk opening the borders much before the end of the year.

Which makes it interesting as I am currently booked on a cruise that is supposed to end in Sydney on December 21,

I think anyone with cruises booked for this year would be a little nervous, however these comments are all just our own opinions. No-one (probably not even our own governments) really knows what its going to be like in 3 or 6 months time. For those who have made bookings for this year, I trust all will be well but I will hold off for the time being. Best wishes to you and keep safe.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

We're wondering what the situation will be for Australia and New Zealand.... We're booked for November/December.

In New Zealand we are being told our borders will remain closed until a reliable vaccine is available, the best guess is for at least the next year/18 months so I can't see any cruising being allowed here before that happens. We as citizens are being told no international travel for this year for sure. 

Sadly I cannot see you being able to cruise here in the near future. Hope this video helps you to see what we have here and we will see you in the future.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Having had all that fun working towards elite status and now you do not get the chance to enjoy it.

That's us!! Finally made elite, & now wondering when/if we'll get to enjoy it. I was looking forward to getting the coffee pkg. in exchange for the mini bar. We're scheduled to set sail on a TA Nov. 23. That's 7 months out, so there's still hope. ♡ 

• Like 1

My cruise on July 11th out of Southampton is still currently going ahead though looking at the pricing we might be the only ones on the ship, its less than half what we paid.

I am not going to second guess or worry what will happens with cruising this year.  We won't know anything concrete until the virus is totally under control and the CDC makes their new rules about what is required for the cruise lines.  Until then; lets sit back and wait and see

Having read this thread I have come up with a question.  If all these European ports are closing their ports for 2020 and even if they start opening up later my question is - How safe are these ports going to be for us passengers going to be???  I got a letter from the CEO of my health insurance company stating we are covered for COVID-19, but will not be covered if we are not in the United States.  

5 hours ago, Te Aroha said:

In New Zealand we are being told our borders will remain closed until a reliable vaccine is available, the best guess is for at least the next year/18 months so I can't see any cruising being allowed here before that happens. We as citizens are being told no international travel for this year for sure. 

Sadly I cannot see you being able to cruise here in the near future. Hope this video helps you to see what we have here and we will see you in the future.

I believe that is a wise decision.  At this time NZ has  few enough cases that with contact tracing and other mitigation activities, NZ should be able to re-open and run its internal economy just fine without dealing with many cases.  Open back up to tourism and the door opens form more cases to come in.  Singapore is now dealing with a worse number  of new cases than what they had in their initially well controlled first wave.

Here's an update from CNBC blog. Netherlands has one of the highest infection rates per capita in Europe...

"1:37 pm: Holland extends ban on major public events until Sept. 1
The Netherlands extended by three months a ban on major public events, including professional sports and music festivals, until Sept. 1.

At the same time, Prime Minister Mark Rutte said an “encouraging” slowing of the spread of the coronavirus would enable elementary schools and day-care centres to reopen in May.

Rutte said the limited easing of restrictive measures was necessary to prevent a strong resurgence of Covid-19. —Reuters"

I just watched a vid on YouTube and stated Princess to resume operations July 15th.  But nobody knows where or how etc.  Maybe this is just a target.  If continental Europe is essentially closed what about British Islands?  Norway or Iceland?  Baltic?  
The other thing to think about is hurricane  season in Fl and the Caribbean which starts on June 1.  Do you

cruise and risk Covid or do you cruise and risk cat 4 or 5 hurricanes?  All the ships can’t go to Alaska.  
Just sayin 😊

FB and YouTube wouldn't be where I'd recommend you take as news.  

All news isnt fact but reporting, then you need to read between and thru the lines to figure out where things are going.

Looking at what China is starting to do three months after the outbreak, what some European countries are just starting to do, and what some US states are considering, and fast forward two months where we should see increased infection, hospitalizations and deaths as resurgent new infections occur.  

I highly doubt there will be any summer, late fall or winter cruising.  Herd immunity is months away and we won't get there w/o opening the country getting lots more people exposed/sick/dying.    Of course company X in country Y could find a magical vaccine that has 90% efficacy and minimal negative issues that we can produce a few billion doses that we can distribute and give in three months.      And if you believe that you should be going all in on the stock market!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't put my finger on it, but read somewhere that our travel insurance will not cover us if we travel during a period of time when Canada (our home country) recommends against personal travel.

I would assume other insurance companies elsewhere will do likewise, meaning the risk of huge medical bills will preclude quite a number of us from travelling during this year.  Hard to see many countries officially removing their recommendation against personal travel.  If they did, they could perhaps open themselves up to liability issues.

We have a cruise booked for September that was to be our longest and furthest from home (HAL transpacific), but at this point - i doubt it will sail, and even if by some small chance it does, I doubt we will be on it.

Don