Could lifting the ''Jones act'' be a help in this mess.

dolittle

On 7/11/2020 at 10:57 AM, chengkp75 said:

With 4% of world population, we have 25% of covid cases.  That's not a record I'd like to have.  And, Qatar for example, has 0.3% of world population and 0.8% of covid cases.

You are slightly off, Qatar is 0.03% of the population.

The numbers I posted are cases per 1 million people.  Higher number means a higher percentage of the population have or have had it.

Qatar has 3 times as many cases per million people versus the US.  36,896 versus 10,226.

Edited by SRF

BTW, while it may be in New England, it does not use British spelling, so it's Bar Harbor.  Or, to us, Bah Hahbah.

The spell checker strikes again. Or it caught that spelling from ontheweb. [emoji3] I was there last June with two large cruise ships tendering and one small ship. Along with summer tourists it was a zoo.

Is the island closed to the mainland? If tourists can still drive or take the bus there not sure what not allowing 60 from a very small vessel accomplishes. Is Ollies Trolly still doing bus tours of Acadia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

57 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Bar Harbour though is saying no because of Covid. Key West would be saying no if the referendum passes because they only want small ships.

That may not be entirely correct....

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article242538821.html

33 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I'm from Key West and I know Haskell.  His agenda has always been to limit cruise ships in KW.  Now, he's just using COVID as a convenient excuse.  Can't say I totally disagree with him though.  I've never been a fan of mega ships going to KW.....mostly because of the long, narrow channel they need to navigate to enter. 

19 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'm from Key West and I know Haskell.  His agenda has always been to limit cruise ships in KW.  Now, he's just using COVID as a convenient excuse.  Can't say I totally disagree with him though.  I've never been a fan of mega ships going to KW.....mostly because of the long, narrow channel they need to navigate to enter. 

I’m not at all certain how this voting works in the US and I suspect it varies a lot from state to state.  However, I do understand that the proponents will leverage pretty much any opportunity that presents itself to achieve their goals.... I suspect there are some groups/organizations in KW with substantive counter-arguments for the voters to consider i.e. Chamber of Commerce.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The spell checker strikes again. Or it caught that spelling from ontheweb. emoji3.png I was there last June with two large cruise ships tendering and one small ship. Along with summer tourists it was a zoo.

Is the island closed to the mainland? If tourists can still drive or take the bus there not sure what not allowing 60 from a very small vessel accomplishes. Is Ollies Trolly still doing bus tours of Acadia?

Acadia National Park is doing a phased opening, not all roads are open, and not all trails.  No camping.  Anyone from out of state is supposed to quarantine for 14 days, or be tested negative within 72 hours.  So far, only a tiny fraction of the usual summer tourists have shown up there.  The well known to CC members West Street Cafe is down to 10% of their normal business, and employing only 10% of their staff.

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

BTW, while it may be in New England, it does not use British spelling, so it's Bar Harbor.  Or, to us, Bah Hahbah.

Pretty good Labstah too.

• Haha 1