MS Veendam and Zuiderdam in Port Everglades, April 21, 2020

rafinmd

20 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

The few on deck looked sad.  

Hurry back Veendam.  Tampa is suppose to have her in November.

Veendam is going to the Bahama anchorage to join Nieuw A for crew transfers by tender (from other HAL Group ships), then departing for South AFrica and Asia - She won't be back in the sunshine state for some time, November is about right 😉

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Farewell, Veendam.  It's a different world, now, isn't it?  I wonder if things will ever go back to they way they were and we'll have proper sailaways again!

YES, things WILL settle down.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Veendam is going to the Bahama anchorage to join Nieuw A for crew transfers by tender (from other HAL Group ships), then departing for South AFrica and Asia - She won't be back in the sunshine state for some time, November is about right 😉

That is at the end of the hurricane season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for this update.  Sounds like a world cruise in reverse.  I'm watching the business news and oil is going begging it seems with a lack of demand and too much supply.  Do you think Carnival will be able to "fill up" all these ships at super low prices?  I know they are burning through $$$.

6 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Thanks for this update.  Sounds like a world cruise in reverse.  I'm watching the business news and oil is going begging it seems with a lack of demand and too much supply.  Do you think Carnival will be able to "fill up" all these ships at super low prices?  I know they are burning through $$$.

Based on today's price of oil, or lack thereof, I would think so, yes 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I see that the Zuiderdam's time has been changed to 19:30.

Sorry I will miss seeing her leave Ft Lauderdale today.

Have a great evening.  Volendam is scheduled for 6:30AM tomorrow.  That's pilot time so she should be on camera about 7 or a little later.

Roy

48 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I see that the Zuiderdam's time has been changed to 19:30.

Sorry I will miss seeing her leave Ft Lauderdale today.

That woul be 7:30 EDT and 6:30 CDT.  I hope to be there.

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I remember that some cruise companies have invested in oil future contracts in the past and some didn't.  I don't accurately recall what Carnival Corporation has done.  As one who really never has completely understood how the futures market operates, it does seem to me to make good business sense to buy some futures in order to receive the product at some point in the future at a good price.  

But, then, if cash flow is negative (as I am sure it is), is this how a company wants to spend what cash it has?  (I should have taken Econ 201 when I was in college.)

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I remember that some cruise companies have invested in oil future contracts in the past and some didn't.  I don't accurately recall what Carnival Corporation has done.  As one who really never has completely understood how the futures market operates, it does seem to me to make good business sense to buy some futures in order to receive the product at some point in the future at a good price.  

But, then, if cash flow is negative (as I am sure it is), is this how a company wants to spend what cash it has?  (I should have taken Econ 201 when I was in college.)

Many companies that trade  internationally enter into  currency longs ( buy at fixed price in the future) and shorts (sell at a lower price in the future) to hedge the market for price stability. I imagine large consumers of fuel would do the same thing to provide price stability.

Buying fuel for delivery 3 months in advance at a fixed price provides price stability, the problem is if they entered into long future contracts in January or February that were for April and May delivery then they will be paying a higher than market price / or not take a delivery and take a loss.