HyattPlace Fort Lauderdale 17th

carlp

We have frequently stayed at Hyatt in Ft Lauderdale. The location is excellent with nearby restaurants, stores and wine at Harbor Shops. I feel very safe walking around the area.  Be sure to sign up  for a [free] Hyatt membership and enter that when you make the booking - usually 10% discount, plus free breakfast, and daily free water bottles. They have a small hotel bar and a few food items for sale.

We have also stayed at Hyatt Place, Dania, another good location. 

We love Mezzaluna Bistro across the parking lot for Happy Hour at the Bar. 

Darcy

Hyatt and nearby Embassy Suites are likely the two most popular hotels with cruisers in the 17th street area.  As mentioned above, lots of nearby dining and shopping options (we LOVE Total Wine) within walking distance.

We like the Embassy Suites, 17th St. but lately their pricing has been high but we do travel in Prime season.  We have also stayed at the Hyatt Place, right around the corner, which is fine.  Love the close proximity for eating and shopping if necessary.  You can even go to Publix and make a to go salad from their salad bar.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, carlp said:

once this pandemic ends and cruise start up again, we are thinking of booking the Hyatt Place

never been to FLL

any thoughts on this property. Clean-Updated-Location-Safe?

thanks

The Hyatt Centric on Las Olas is MUCH nicer and only a little further from the port and airport.  Walking distance to fantastic dining.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:45 AM, shipgeeks said:

Check out using ValueTrips to make the booking; that could give you the best price.

We used to think so too...but last time we were there (Oct 2019) our best rate was directly with Hyatt using our membership which included the breakfast, the VT booking does not now.

Hyatt Centric certainly is a beautiful hotel. However, we always rent a car to venture beyond the immediate area and parking at this Hyatt runs $33. plus tax per day and is only valet. I would have to factor that additional cost into booking the hotel. Back when we used to stay at Pier 66, parking was always an additional cost, but we could save a few $ by doing self park.  Being Hyatt members, we could often get a special rate and use points toward the booking.  I would crunch the numbers and compare final cost among 17th St., Dania and Centric before I booked again.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

Watch for extra charges at this Hyatt Place.  There is a charge for the airport shuttle.  If you don't take the shuttle they may try to charge you for parking, even if you took a taxi.  They love to charge extra for a high floor, even though the hotel is only about 3 to 4 stories.  Also watch for an early arrival charge if you arrive before 4:00 pm.  

17th street is a fantastic location, Hyatt Place is easily walkable to Publix grocery, Total Wine, banks, Walgreens, Ross, TJ Maxx, many restaurants--everything from Panera Bread to steak/seafood places.  Its also very close to the cruise port and just a quick ride from the airport too.  I'm staying at Hilton Marina this year but being within close access to 17th street shopping was important to me...at least if it's not a beach/pool day you can walk to shopping to occupy yourself.      

I agree, Hyatt Place off 17th (on 10th) is usually great for the money. As we drive down, we usually need a parking package and travel to and from the port. I have used their Parking and paid for their shuttle driver. Parking for us at Park n Go, has worked.  I just add in the parking fee.

Edited by Nanatravel