How confident would you be? May 2021

Haveuseen1

4 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

We are about to postpone to 2022 - our TA says the cruise line will do this at no charge, phew! Feel much better about it all.

It's the Lift & Shift option....We've shifted a few cruises from 2021 to 2022. As long as the cruise is within the guidelines this has been a very popular program offered. I'm sure your TA understands how to do this for you and there is no fee to do so.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:14 PM, Sailing12Away said:

My January 21 cruise to New Zealand was cancelled, so we booked an Alaska cruise for April 21 instead. The ones leaving from Vancouver had a better itinerary going through the inside passage, but we figured we would have better luck being able to sail if we kept with a roundtrip out of Seattle instead. Fingers crossed that we'll be able to go.

Fingers crossed for you - perhaps a bit selfishly - I'm also on an Alaskan cruise April 21 (Sun on 27th). When I booked it months ago, it seemed far enough out ... now, I'm not so sure. That said, whether completely confident or not, if it sails, I plan to be on it.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:10 PM, Howasaur said:

I have book  a 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer cruise in July 2021 I just wonder what entire requirements Alaska will require if the Pandemic is still about Covid-19 

If COVID-19 is still of concern I don't think Canada will be open to cruise ships. If Canada doesn't open Alaskan cruises will not happen.

Hopefully optimistic that people keep wearing their masks, we don't get a second wave of horribleness, and things start going back to a reduce sense of normalcy.

My guess is that for the Canadian stops they won't allow non-Canadian citizens off the boat. Or, it will only be with NCL sponsored supervised excursions. Either way I'd be fine with that. We splurged for Haven on this trip for a reason.

11 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Hopefully optimistic that people keep wearing their masks, we don't get a second wave of horribleness, and things start going back to a reduce sense of normalcy.

My guess is that for the Canadian stops they won't allow non-Canadian citizens off the boat. Or, it will only be with NCL sponsored supervised excursions. Either way I'd be fine with that. We splurged for Haven on this trip for a reason.

So how does that end up working?  Most of the Alaskan cruises either start or end in Vancouver?

Our TA has told us that we can transfer our 2021 Alaska cruise (already swapped from 2020) to 2022 at no extra charge, so as soon as the northbound dates come out this November, we will do so. I feel much happier now. Sadly 2021 is looking like a no go area anywhere because of 14 day quarantines each side, huh. We have had precisely 1 week in the Lake District (was lovely and warm!) this year, only trip anywhere since July 2019, sob. Though I have some European trips planned for 2021, if still cannot fly anywhere I am planning a week in the Cotswolds I think. Cornwall and Devon will have the entire population - 65 million - of the UK there!

28 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

The one we're booked on is roundtrip out of Seattle, which is why we intentionally chose that one hoping that we'd have better luck.

If COVID is still a problem, Canada may not be open to cruise ships.  And even with a cruise out of Seattle, you still have to stop in Canada.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, Ashland said:

I had been considering May 2021...but will now look toward 2022 instead.

Thanks to the $12 Billion Operation Warp Speed Initiative  and ignored by most of the networks, Pfizer and Moderna recently announced that their vaccine will be available in the 3rd week of November.   Our government has purchased 100 million doses from each company and they are manufacturing millions of doses every day.  The US govt has the military with special equipment to handle the Vaccine distribution to Mckesson (100s of Distribution centers).  Alaska cruises next summer will happen and I would say that you will need proof of a Covid shot to cruise to Alaska.    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cheone said:

Thanks to the $12 Billion Operation Warp Speed Initiative  and ignored by most of the networks, Pfizer and Moderna recently announced that their vaccine will be available in the 3rd week of November.   Our government has purchased 100 million doses from each company and they are manufacturing millions of doses every day.  The US govt has the military with special equipment to handle the Vaccine distribution to Mckesson (100s of Distribution centers).  Alaska cruises next summer will happen and I would say that you will need proof of a Covid shot to cruise to Alaska.    

Sure keeping my fingers crossed that this will be true.  Unfortunately, I live in California and our governor will not allow distribution of the shot until his independent task force deems it safe for use.   I have pushed back one of our Alaska cruises from May to July in hopes that this whole mess will all be sorted out.  Missed out on two Alaska cruises last year and not looking forward to repeating the same in 2021.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Sure keeping my fingers crossed that this will be true.  Unfortunately, I live in California and our governor will not allow distribution of the shot until his independent task force deems it safe for use.   I have pushed back one of our Alaska cruises from May to July in hopes that this whole mess will all be sorted out.  Missed out on two Alaska cruises last year and not looking forward to repeating the same in 2021.

Here in Washington State, I am worried about our Gov. Inslee doing the same.  Last week on the day of the Governors debate  he opened up our county to Phase 2, where restaurants can open.

1 hour ago, cheone said:

I thought the announcement by Pfizer and Moderna said they couldn't seek emergency authorization of the vacine before the third week of November, "and that's if everything goes well".  There are articles that also indicate it may be December or January that also reference the Operation Warp Speed Initiative.
 We would like to take an early season trip to Alaska but aren't booking anything until after the first of the year, at the earliest. Things are changing quickly and maybe there is updated info on this you can share.

From an article from last Friday.
"Even if a vaccine emerges by year's end, only limited doses will be available right away. The U.S. government is deciding who would be first in line, almost certainly health care workers,
and estimates there may be enough for widespread vaccinations in the spring".

The other variable here is if Canada is going to permit cruise ships next spring.

7 hours ago, Italy52 said:

That's ridiculous. I guess you cant get it elsewhere. I live in nj and would drive to another state to get it.

22 hours ago, cheone said:

Not sure they are saying the vaccine will be available the 3rd week of November.  

Biotech firm Moderna announced Thursday that it had enrolled all 30,000 participants in its COVID-19 vaccine trial – and that nearly 37% of them were nonwhite. The company had delayed the study for a few weeks in September to ensure adequate minority representation. About 10% of the volunteers are Black, 20% Hispanic and 4% Asian; a quarter were over 65 and 17% were at high risk for a serious case of COVID-19 for other reasons.

Company President Stephen Hoge said he expected the trial would meet two key milestones in mid-November: About half the participants will be two months past their second dose of the vaccine, meaning the company will have enough safety data to present to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration; and at least 53 of the participants will have caught COVID- 19, so the company will have its first snapshot of effectiveness. Then the company will decide whether to submit an application to the FDA, which could take weeks to months to approve it or issue an emergency use authorization.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:02 PM, Italy52 said:

On 10/22/2020 at 8:26 PM, jean87510 said:

That's ridiculous. I guess you cant get it elsewhere. I live in nj and would drive to another state to get it.

Me too

On 10/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, Sailing12Away said:

It won't be a case of allowing only Canadians off the ship. If Canada bans cruise ships into 2021 like they have in 2020 there will be NO Alaska cruises, period. The ban expires Oct 31st so we are waiting to see if Transport Canada makes a decision and extends it or let it expire. 

On 10/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, cheone said:

Uh.....nope.

My crystal ball is about as cloudy as anyone’s. However, I do know people in the pharmaceutical biz and their best guess is it will be August 2021 before a vaccine for CoVid is widely available. With that, I doubt there will be any cruising much before then. 

I think the bigger question is, if there's no 2021 Alaska season for what ever reason, no vaccine, Canada closure, or a continued CDC pause , the big elephant in the room is how many cruise lines will be left or survive without a robust early 2021 cruise resumption ?

I think specifically all the $ billions of outstanding FFC's and deposits are all on the line with the yes or no answer of the 20121 Alaska season 

Still a wild ride ahead

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

4 hours ago, srpilo said:

I think the bigger question is, if there's no 2021 Alaska season for what ever reason, no vaccine, Canada closure, or a continued CDC pause , the big elephant in the room is how many cruise lines will be left or survive without a robust early 2021 cruise resumption ?

I think specifically all the $ billions of outstanding FFC's and deposits are all on the line with the yes or no answer of the 20121 Alaska season 

Still a wild ride ahead

Srpilo

If sailings resume in the Caribbean but not Alaska the cruise lines will stay afloat.

• Like 1