European River Cruises 2020 - Options to consider

BruceOhio

Many of us who have booked 2020 European River cruises are trying to decide 1) should I cancel now for a refund 2) should I re-book in 2021-2022 or 3) should I wait it out and see what happens.   Our cruise is in October 2020 so we are weighing all those options as I'm sure you are as well.  Canceling for a full refund now (Viking does this) seems like a wise choice except we found we would not be reimbursed for Travel Insurance ($1000).   Plus Viking charges $100/pp so it would be a $1200 hit for us.    Re-booking until 2021-22 seems like the best option but we got 2 promotional discounts when we booked and those are not available on future cruises.  So if we re-book it will cost us more for the same cruise.  Our cruise is in October so we assume it will not be canceled but what will the experience be if we wait it out and go?  Wearing masks?  Social Distancing?  Some shops and restaurants closed in port?  Air Travel nightmares?   Every cruise line may have different policies but I'm trying to get a sense of our others are making their decisions.  

If your Viking cruise is in October you have until July (120 days before embarkation - the exact date is on your statement) to get a full refund. The $200 will be applicable to a future cruise (I think it expires in 24 months). If you bought insurance from Viking, you may be able to apply the cost to another cruise as well.

Regarding the experience, IMHO, I trust Viking that if there are any accommodations necessary for Covid-19, they will be reasonable. My Rhine cruise is November 1, and I am not canceling on my own.