San Fran or San Diego- which is better?

geonurse

For any of you that have sailed out of both of these ports… Which did you prefer? If you take into consideration ambience and activities in the area, lodging , ease of transportation , port area and efficiency , etc.. We are planning a cruise out of California in end of December -spending two days prior to embarkation.  Would  love to hear thoughts, pros and cons of each area. Mom and Dad and 4 young adults.  Thank you😘

Edited by geonurse

December is rainy season, either city could have rain but San Francisco is far more likely to be wet and cold. If you are using a hotel San Diego is much cheaper and has hotels in walking distance of the pier.

It would be hard to beat San Diego for convenience.  Airport is about 2 miles from the pier, there are plenty of hotels within walking (or short shuttle ride) from the pier, and plenty of things to do near the pier, including lots of great dining.  

1 hour ago, Sunburg1 said:

December is rainy season, either city could have rain but San Francisco is far more likely to be wet and cold. If you are using a hotel San Diego is much cheaper and has hotels in walking distance of the pier.

There are hotels in walking distance in SF, and whether or not things are cheaper depends on, at least partly, if a convention is in SD. I have paid some incredible (not in a good way) prices for hotels in SD when there is a convention in.

I actually had my highest total hotel bill for two nights EVER in San Diego several years back...(Yeah, higher than when I spent Super Bowl Weekend at the Mirage in Vegas)...IIRC, close to $3K for just the stay...at the Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe...So, you will never catch me saying San Diego is a cheap hotel town...

And, I have also had some great deals staying in San Francisco--though, yes, if there's a convention or other event, the hotel rates may frighten you...

But, in the long run, a lot depends on your dates, how early you reserve and what level of hotel you want to stay in...

That said, the big question is really what you plan on doing in either place and how long you wish to spend there.

IMHO, San Francisco is a far more interesting city...Really one of the most unique cities in America--picturesque, historical, interesting...the street patterns are bizarre--they superimposed a standard American grid that works on FLAT cites onto an area of numerous steep hills--so the streets tend to go straight up and straight down--sort of at war with the natural terrain. It sits on the tip of a narrow peninsula so there's water in almost every direction...and bridges spanning all of that water...Property is expensive, so lots are narrow and houses literally right up against each other side to side...and with architecture historically unique to San Francisco--the "bay window" was invented there--to get more light into these narrow houses with exposure on only the front in a city that often has little direct sunlight due to the clouds and fog...So the city has a very unique look.

There are tremendous places to visit not only in the City, but within a short ride away (Napa Valley Wine Country, Muir Woods and the Redwoods and lots more)...Within the City, there are lots of intriguing little neighborhoods and loads of interesting and even historically significant restaurants, bars and attractions.

San Diego is more typical of a modern Western American city.  Though it is actually older than San Francisco, there are only a few sites that span back to its colonial start.  Most of the city is spread out.  It's a nice place to live...the weather is about as nice as one can get and most things are convenient if you have a car.  It has more in the way of participant activities--beaches, boating, golf courses, etc.

Now here's the thing:  If you were going as a tourist, spending several days and wanting a fantastic experience, I'd say take San Francisco hands down...But, if you are really just looking for a place from which to jump onto a cruise...and are just going to fly in a day or two ahead...and want convenience and just enough to do to keep your kids happy and entertained, then there's plenty to do that in San Diego...and, overall, it will be more convenient and probably cost less (there is a wide array of hotel choices--many near downtown and the cruise pier).  And there is a nice historical area in which to walk around, eat and enjoy a little nightlife--called the "Gaslamp Quarter"--very near the cruise pier and downtown.  If you want a little history, you can visit Old Town...Or the kids might want to visit Sea World or the San Diego Zoo (maybe the best zoo in the world)...You could also arrange for a car or transportation and take a short trip out of town to the Wild Animal Park or to Legoland...

Another thing to consider is that, if you are cruising down to Mexico, going from San Francisco, you waste a couple of extra days and have a more expensive cruise ...Of course, some of us like those at sea days...

Good luck...

I would pick SD for the weather.  However, for compactness SF is the much better choice.  Hotels can be less expensive in SF in December.  In fact they can be downright cheap for SF standards in December.  Before all this COVID 19 stuff we would do long weekends in SF from about October - February as the weekend rates drop considerable.  It's pretty easy to find nice hotel rooms around Union Square and Financial District for less than $300, when they could be double that in April and on.  Either one you won't go wrong.    

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Bay Area, but I'm a New Yorker, so I'm happy to say that most days, at least for some portion of the day, the weather sucks in San Francisco.  It's often wet and overcast if you're anywhere near water, so sailing out of there you'll probably have to stay inside.  It's a rare day when it isn't raw, misting and bitter on the water in San Francisco Bay.  Theoretically, there's lots to do in SF, but as a New Yorker, I'm not impressed.  Plus, everything is wildly expensive.  I say San Diego is the way to go! 

P.S. If you're wondering why I live here, hating the weather as I do, I live inland which is an ENTIRELY different climate.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:40 AM, Bruin Steve said:

I actually had my highest total hotel bill for two nights EVER in San Diego several years back...(Yeah, higher than when I spent Super Bowl Weekend at the Mirage in Vegas)...IIRC, close to $3K for just the stay...at the Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe...So, you will never catch me saying San Diego is a cheap hotel town...

Saying Rancho Santa Fe is San Diego is like saying Beverly Hills is in bakersfield

Good luck...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ladychater said:

I live in the Bay Area, but I'm a New Yorker, so I'm happy to say that most days, at least for some portion of the day, the weather sucks in San Francisco.  It's often wet and overcast if you're anywhere near water, so sailing out of there you'll probably have to stay inside.  It's a rare day when it isn't raw, misting and bitter on the water in San Francisco Bay.  Theoretically, there's lots to do in SF, but as a New Yorker, I'm not impressed.  Plus, everything is wildly expensive.  I say San Diego is the way to go! 

P.S. If you're wondering why I live here, hating the weather as I do, I live inland which is an ENTIRELY different climate.

All I can say is "Wow!" Have lived in the Bay Area for over 60 years. If "sucks" is less than 75 every day...yes, it sucks. But I seen as many foggy days in San Diego. Yes it is a little warmer in San Diego when it is foggy, but both are cities on the ocean, and that has it's impact, which is different than the affect of living near the ocean on the East Coast, where the ocean is warmer. But warmer oceans bring hurricanes, and "Sandy" leaps to mind. And SF and SD don't get snow. Well, SF extremely rarely gets a little snow.

Have sailed under the Bridge twice, and was on deck for both, and it is memorable. Have sailed on the Bay many times. Yes, sometimes it is cold. 

• Like 1

I love all the bickering over the weather...For someone who comes from Indiana, like the OP, the weather ANYWHERE in California will be just fine...even in December...or, maybe, especially in December.  Parts of Indiana will be bitter cold and buried in snow.

Yes, San Francisco is foggier, colder and rainier than San Diego...And, of course, the weather EVERYWHERE in California varies from one part of town to another...because most California metropolitan areas (Yes, as a Geographer, I use the term rather than "City" because, from a geographical viewpoint, a city is much more than the political city limits--it includes all of the suburbs, the unincorporated areas and more--the entire socio-economic machine...which is why, yes, Rancho Santa Fe...and La Jolly and El Cajon and Chula Vista and others are all part of "San Diego") go over mountains and hills and into valleys just as they cling to the coast or concentrate over their downtowns...So, most large cities actually span very different climate zones--Why you won't get the fog living in Pleasanton or Walnut Creek that you would in, say, the Marina District...

OTOH, someone visiting for a day or two, would likely be staying right in the City in San Francisco--likely Fisherman's Wharf or the Financial District or Nob Hill...and someone visiting San Diego for a cruise is likely staying near the pier/Gaslamp/Downtown...Both are near the ocean (or, really the respective bays)...and, though it may mean morning fog in either case, large bodies of water are actually a moderating influence which will tend to keep the temperatures from getting either too cold or too hot...

That said, I really don't think the respective weather was the OP's main concern.  Going back to the original question...

On 4/22/2020 at 8:10 AM, geonurse said:

If you take into consideration ambience and activities in the area, lodging, ease of transportation, port area and efficiency, etc..

I guess what they need to weigh is what there is to do in each city--especially with kids...and how easy will it be to find a reasonable hotel and get easy transportation airport to hotel to cruise...and whether there will be enough to see and do in a day or two.

For that, either port works...

As an adult, I would take San Francisco hands down...far more fascinating experience...history, wineries, gourmet restaurants...

With kids...and maybe, for the OP, San Diego has bigger attractions for the kids (Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World), more kid friendly stuff and is easier to get from airport to hotel...

The weather...for just a day or two, should enter into it very little...

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

All I can say is "Wow!" Have lived in the Bay Area for over 60 years. If "sucks" is less than 75 every day...yes, it sucks. But I seen as many foggy days in San Diego. Yes it is a little warmer in San Diego when it is foggy, but both are cities on the ocean, and that has it's impact, which is different than the affect of living near the ocean on the East Coast, where the ocean is warmer.

The "Bay Area" isn't the same as the City of San Francisco. San Francisco isn't just "on the water", it is surrounded on three sides by water, which is why San Francisco is cool, even in July. It isn't just "less than 75° every day" it is less than 60° every day (58° on average in Dec).

SF is still way more expensive.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

SF is still way more expensive.

...and that ID for sure, generally...not just hotel prices...but restaurants, tours, activities...

You might find a deal on a hotel, but, on the average, it's going to be higher...There are some cheap restaurants--if you know where to find them...but, if you don't know the City, you're taking your chances...Even supermarket prices are higher...

OTOH, to most visitors to San Francisco, it's worth paying the high prices--because the City is unique and worth visiting...

But, if the OP's concern is just having the most reasonable jumping off place to start a cruise...and has kids to entertain, San Diego makes sense.

Another consideration is the ages of the "young adults".  If they are OVER 21 and can enjoy bars and wineries, San Francisco may be worthwhile.  If they are under 21, they will be limited there...

And one further consideration--if the cruise is one to Mexico, sailing out of San Diego saves a lot of time cruising the shorter distance.  You can get a 7 night cruise where the ones out of San Francisco would be 10 nights...Or you can get a longer cruise out of San Diego or Los Angeles that visits more ports.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 8:10 AM, geonurse said:

For any of you that have sailed out of both of these ports… Which did you prefer? If you take into consideration ambience and activities in the area, lodging , ease of transportation , port area and efficiency , etc.. We are planning a cruise out of California in end of December -spending two days prior to embarkation.  Would  love to hear thoughts, pros and cons of each area. Mom and Dad and 4 young adults.  Thank you😘

What is your destination after leaving San Diego?   If going to Mexico then you will likely have a smoother trip leaving from San Diego at that time of year.

As others have noted, both cities have their charms.  In SF you can get good deals at hotels near Fisherman's Wharf and also looking at AirBnB options but it takes some research.   Christmas decorations around the city can also be nice.   

• 1 month later...

You didn’t tell us where your cruise is going - and returning.

From San Francisco, if you are cruising North, you will have at least 2 sea days that are typically windy, rainy, foggy, cold.

If you are cruising South, you will have at least 2 sea days that are typically windy, rainy, foggy, cold.

If you are returning to San Francisco at the end of the cruise, you will have the same 2 sea days again.

If you are cruising North from San Diego, you may encounter the same 2 or more days at sea.

If you are cruising South, the weather and views are typically much improved. If you are sailing West, the weather is usually far better than from San Francisco.

I agree with BruceMuzz and will add that the roughest sailing for any cruise is the northbound Pacific coast from San Diego to San Francisco or so the crew told us.  We were doing our last two days of a 15 day San Juan to SF cruise in December and the seas were churning.  The dresser/closet doors/drawers were sliding in and out all night.  If we hadn't been on the ship almost two weeks it might have been an issue.   I assume OP is doing a seven or ten day Mexican cruise so I would pick San Diego hands down for the overall weather and seas.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:53 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I assume OP is doing a seven or ten day Mexican cruise so I would pick San Diego hands down for the overall weather and seas.

And I assumed the OP was doing a HI cruise.... go figure.

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

And I assumed the OP was doing a HI cruise.... go figure.

Could be.  We have a Ruby Princess  15 day  RT SF - HI booked for March (fingers crossed) and seems I do recall somebody offering RT from SD.  We picked SF as it's closer to home.   

10 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Could be.  We have a Ruby Princess  15 day  RT SF - HI booked for March (fingers crossed) and seems I do recall somebody offering RT from SD.  We picked SF as it's closer to home.   

We did HAL from SD to HI, RT on the Oosterdam a number of years ago and were lucky to squeeze in an LA - HI RT on the Star Princess in Feb of this year.

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

We did HAL from SD to HI, RT on the Oosterdam a number of years ago and were lucky to squeeze in an LA - HI RT on the Star Princess in Feb of this year.

I hope we can do the Ruby in March. It will be spouses retirement trip.  We are suppose to do it with two other couples.  One couple has already said they aren't going due to COVID but the other couple is still in.