Cruise Critic Community

Checking the website it shows the first cruise to the Grand Bahamas via The Grand Celebration is May 8th To Nassau on the Grand Classica June 2nd.

Nothing about the virus or doctors note. I requested info by email and no reply. Guess the office is closed and are not working right now other then those that take reservations.

16 hours ago, eroller said:

Looks like June 13 for CELEBRATION and July 10 for CLASSICA.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22832-bahamas-paradise-targets-june-start-up.html

Clicked on it but Norton says no go. Not a trusted site.

I just checked and look like our Grand Class will be cancelled for a second time.

Shows first cruises to start.

June 13 for the Grand Celebration

July 10 for the Grand Classica.

Well received an email and yes it is cancelled for a second time. They offered me 125% FCC. Took the full refund instead. Their new cost of cruising is a lot higher than 125% of what I paid would have covered. Now they are charging $169.00 + + + Just booked the Carnival Elation, got the OV cabin we asked for. 4 Night. Port Canaveral to Nassau then to Princess Cays Bahamas then a sea day, next day back to Port Canaveral. July 16 for $559.00 total price. The cruise alone is $40.50 pp pd That is only $14.00 more than I paid for the Grand Classica for 2 days. I had $20.00 OBC 5 drinks for $20.00 plus gratuities, then some additional charge for a little over $6.00 Parking for 4 days at Lots of Honor is only $7.95 a day plus tax.5 min from the ports. Shuttled.  is only $8.00 more than the $40 at Port of Palm beach. It will also include $50.00 OBC because I have stock in Carnival. The ride to Port Canaveral from our home is only about 45 min longer than Port Of Palm beach. Now, if this one does not get cancelled?

On 5/1/2020 at 11:54 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Well received an email and yes it is cancelled for a second time. They offered me 125% FCC. Took the full refund instead. Their new cost of cruising is a lot higher than 125% of what I paid would have covered. Now they are charging $169.00 + + + Just booked the Carnival Elation, got the OV cabin we asked for. 4 Night. Port Canaveral to Nassau then to Princess Cays Bahamas then a sea day, next day back to Port Canaveral. July 16 for $559.00 total price. The cruise alone is $40.50 pp pd That is only $14.00 more than I paid for the Grand Classica for 2 days. I had $20.00 OBC 5 drinks for $20.00 plus gratuities, then some additional charge for a little over $6.00 Parking for 4 days at Lots of Honor is only $7.95 a day plus tax.5 min from the ports. Shuttled.  is only $8.00 more than the $40 at Port of Palm beach. It will also include $50.00 OBC because I have stock in Carnival. The ride to Port Canaveral from our home is only about 45 min longer than Port Of Palm beach. Now, if this one does not get cancelled?

I am wondering if you think your July 16th Cruise is going to be a go. I’m booked on the Norwegian Sky for the July 24th sailing and I’m hoping things will be a go. I was able to check in but I’m having a problem printing my eDocs. Just wondering if by July we will be able to sail. 

On 5/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, pinkie60 said:

I am wondering if you think your July 16th Cruise is going to be a go. I’m booked on the Norwegian Sky for the July 24th sailing and I’m hoping things will be a go. I was able to check in but I’m having a problem printing my eDocs. Just wondering if by July we will be able to sail. 

Printed mine. No problems also purchased the Bottomless bubbles package. So far last year and this year we have had five cruises cancelled. One because of the 2019 hurricane, one because the Carnival Mardi Gras will not be ready and three for the virus. So we are getting used to being cancelled. I really hope not. It is the second great price deal and the other one that got cancelled was the Caribbean Princess.

Well, just received the cancellation notice. Carnival LOCALLY says it will resume sailings August 1st now.

Port Canaveral The Elation and the Breeze. All northern ports later.

Carnival sent a cancellation for the July 16 cruise. Now they say they will resume August 1st. I rebooked for December 3 rd they gave me $300.00 OBC and a FCC for the cruise cost. New cruise is only $40.00 more than the cancelled one.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Carnival sent a cancellation for the July 16 cruise. Now they say they will resume August 1st. I rebooked for December 3 rd they gave me $300.00 OBC and a FCC for the cruise cost. New cruise is only $40.00 more than the cancelled one.

I guess I should get ready for my July cruise disappointment. It didn’t take Carnival much time to cancel those July cruises. I can’t imagine that Norwegian would sail if Carnival won’t, they usually follow the same script. They must have been given directives from the Florida ports that the ports aren’t ready to receive passengers. I’ll just re-schedule for late November. The weather is still nice and the hurricane threats should be gone by then. No cold fronts until January anyway. 

On 4/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Clicked on it but Norton says no go. Not a trusted site.

I just checked and look like our Grand Class will be cancelled for a second time.

Shows first cruises to start.

June 13 for the Grand Celebration

July 10 for the Grand Classica.

You could always try Cruise Critic, which is a very trusted site: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5206/ you'll find info in there on every cruise line's return date.

17 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

I guess I should get ready for my July cruise disappointment. It didn’t take Carnival much time to cancel those July cruises. I can’t imagine that Norwegian would sail if Carnival won’t, they usually follow the same script. They must have been given directives from the Florida ports that the ports aren’t ready to receive passengers. I’ll just re-schedule for late November. The weather is still nice and the hurricane threats should be gone by then. No cold fronts until January anyway. 

Over the years we have had cruises cancelled because of hurricanes. One cruise many years ago, when we returned my son wanted to know about the hurricane and the weather. I had no idea what he was even talking about. Nothing mentioned on the ship. Weather was excellent. Guess they went around it. They are still working with the CDC on how to handle everything for the cruises. So it sounds like all the cruise lines will be following new guidelines when they start up. 

They are back to starting up 7/25.  The June dates on the web site seemed optimistic.  But the Bahamas seem to be preparing the welcome mat.  

Tried to book over the weekend. It indicated the open hours yet they were closed. Sent an email to the person in charge. Never get replies. The person I did have a great repore with retired.

7 hours ago, ew101 said:

They are back to starting up 7/25.  The June dates on the web site seemed optimistic.  But the Bahamas seem to be preparing the welcome mat.  

Are there hotels and restaurants opening up in the Bahamas?  Keeping my fingers crossed that they are🤞

Well that is a great how do you do. So the current Triple deals are a no go. Now we see July 25 for the Celebration and October 3 for the Classica. Bummer.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:41 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I appreciate you posting this.  At this time, I believe what BPCL is planning to do/require is appropriate.  No doubt in my mind that all of the cruise lines will have a similar plan.  Will having to "endure" these changes encourage me to once again book a cruise?  

I have yet to dine in a sit down restaurant that is open with the changes that I know I will experience.  That experience may influence my thinking on future dining experiences.  I think it is reasonable to expect there might also be a "spill-over" effect on my thinking about cruising.  Or, indeed, traveling in general.  

Seems like on a per day per person basis (fare, taxes, fees, tips) to be a pretty expensive "cruise" about 38 hours  on the ship.  Freeport not really a place I would like to go, probably better off having a group of 4 just get a hotel for a couple nights on the beach, Does anyone know if they have a basketball court?

21 hours ago, Newleno said:

Seems like on a per day per person basis (fare, taxes, fees, tips) to be a pretty expensive "cruise" about 38 hours  on the ship.  Freeport not really a place I would like to go, probably better off having a group of 4 just get a hotel for a couple nights on the beach, Does anyone know if they have a basketball court?

I've noticed this as well.  At first glance it looks like a bargain but unfortunately port fees and other charges add up pretty quickly, and when I've priced it out fully I haven't been able to make the numbers work for us.  The same applies to some of the inland ferry options - I've looked at the SS Badger and even some ferries in Canada and the per-night cost ends up higher than I expect; still I will likely do the Badger eventually.

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I will likely do the Badger eventually.

I sailed round trip on the S.S. Badger during a Summer trip to Northern Indiana and Michigan in recent years.  It was an interesting experience.  I sailed from Michigan and did not get off at Wisconsin.  I enjoyed watching the unloading/loading of the cars at our Wisconsin port.  Weather was good; the Badger rode well, although the seas were "normal" for Lake Michigan, think.  I did not book a "stateroom" and really saw no reason to do so.  I did look at a couple of ones that were empty and they were rather spartan.  Seating was plentiful, inside and outside, and mostly comfortable.  Some cruise-type entertainment i.e. bingo, movies.  Food was snack bar type food.  Crew and on-shore employees were pleasant and helpful.  Would I do it again?  Yes.  Such a round trip is a good one day's excursion in my opinion.

On 5/30/2020 at 4:32 PM, rkacruiser said:

I sailed round trip on the S.S. Badger during a Summer trip to Northern Indiana and Michigan in recent years.  It was an interesting experience.  I sailed from Michigan and did not get off at Wisconsin.  I enjoyed watching the unloading/loading of the cars at our Wisconsin port.  Weather was good; the Badger rode well, although the seas were "normal" for Lake Michigan, think.  I did not book a "stateroom" and really saw no reason to do so.  I did look at a couple of ones that were empty and they were rather spartan.  Seating was plentiful, inside and outside, and mostly comfortable.  Some cruise-type entertainment i.e. bingo, movies.  Food was snack bar type food.  Crew and on-shore employees were pleasant and helpful.  Would I do it again?  Yes.  Such a round trip is a good one day's excursion in my opinion.

Good to hear. It looks like fun to us as well.  They do a special for the round trip if you don't bring your car that looks reasonable.  I agree the cabins look to be super basic, so it's more about the privacy rather than the comfort. In my family's case, I think they would feel it amps up the luxury factor as well to have the room.  I hope we can do it sometime soon. Maybe later this summer when nobody wants to go far from home but would appreciate a getaway.

Hi to you all, 

All dates are now unavailable to book - it doesn't matter which month, always the same error message:

Oops!! Error encountered Please try again later!

Any idea what's up?! :classic_sad:

13 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Good to hear. It looks like fun to us as well.  They do a special for the round trip if you don't bring your car that looks reasonable.  I agree the cabins look to be super basic, so it's more about the privacy rather than the comfort. In my family's case, I think they would feel it amps up the luxury factor as well to have the room.  I hope we can do it sometime soon. Maybe later this summer when nobody wants to go far from home but would appreciate a getaway.

Since my trip was a R/T, I left my car in their parking lot that had lots of room.  A cabin would provide privacy and a good place for a nap.  Not knowing your family's travel history, but such might indeed provide a "luxury factor" for them.

As an example:  when my Mother booked the  S. S. South American for a Detroit-Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit cruise for our family, she booked a Bedroom, which was the highest category available.  I knew we were "living high on the hog" at the time.  More encouragement for me to replicate such as much as I could do.  

On 6/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, jaykayham said:

Hi to you all, 

All dates are now unavailable to book - it doesn't matter which month, always the same error message:

Oops!! Error encountered Please try again later!

Any idea what's up?! :classic_sad:

Just hecked and all is good. Shows first Cruise to Freeport July 25 and first cruise to Nassau Oct 2nd.