Covid-19 on Silver Seas

zqtchas

6 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Does anybody know if there was ever any of the virus on any of the SS ships?

Yes, Silver Shadow and Silver Explorer both had cases of Covid-19. Do a google search on "Silversea coronavirus" and you will find information. Here's a link to one of the news reports.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/multiple-cruise-ships-are-left-stranded-as-coronavirus-cases-increase/ar-BB11e4C8

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zqtchas said:

Does anybody know if there was ever any of the virus on any of the SS ships?

It appears to be the case that single passengers on those two cruises were infected with COVID-19, but I do not believe that there was any spread of the virus on the ships.  

1 hour ago, Observer said:

It appears to be the case that single passengers on those two cruises were infected with COVID-19, but I do not believe that there was any spread of the virus on the ships.  

Actually, there was a fairly significant outbreak on Explorer's most recent voyage. My husband and I both contracted the virus while on board, but symptoms were not detectable until we got home from our evacuation. Among the American passengers, I know anecdotally of at least 3 other confirmed cases and several suspected cases. In late March, Chilean press credited our ship with contributing 19 cases of the virus toward the totals for the Puerto Montt area. (This figure does not include the American cases I just mentioned.) I also saw a press account of 4 cases in South Australia. 

One passenger from the Shadow was removed from the ship and later died. I've heard of no other cases from that ship.

Edited by FauxNom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Thank you for the correction/amplification.  I hope that you and the other passengers affected have recovered or are recovering with no likelihood of lasting damage to your health. 

Thank you, Observer. My husband was asymptomatic but only today got his first "negative" test result. So he was in full isolation for 6 weeks. I had what would probably be considered a moderate case, thank goodness, but I'm still feeling the after-effects. It's a very strange disease. I too hope the others are doing well!

Faux Nom.  I am so very sorry to hear that you two were infected (and affected) but  I'm happy to hear that you are recovering & wish you continued healing.  That was certainly an experience you won't forget.  

We were on the Silver Shadow at the time of quarantine & I can pretty much attest to the fact that an embarking passenger in Rio (this was a 4 segment Grand Voyage) became ill soon after boarding & was removed in Recife where we were then quarantined for 10 days. He tested positive and my understanding is that his wife came down with it also.  He has sadly passed away but she is recovering from what I've read/heard.  There was another passenger with suspected COVID but it was determined that she was suffering from pneumonia & has returned home.  There is a thread on here under "Silver Shadow" where this is discussed fully. In my correspondence with other passengers, I have thankfully not heard of further cases.  As an aside, the Americans who were "repatriated" - that was the word of the day - were not permitted to travel home with luggage so we are still waiting.  Other nationalities were able to take theirs along. We had communication from Silversea today that it will be shipped from Southampton around the 28th.  I'll believe it when I see it.

FauxNom, please continue to let us know how you two are progressing.  Best wishes for complete recoveries. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 6:04 PM, nowornever said:

Faux Nom.  I am so very sorry to hear that you two were infected (and affected) but  I'm happy to hear that you are recovering & wish you continued healing.  That was certainly an experience you won't forget.  

We were on the Silver Shadow at the time of quarantine & I can pretty much attest to the fact that an embarking passenger in Rio (this was a 4 segment Grand Voyage) became ill soon after boarding & was removed in Recife where we were then quarantined for 10 days. He tested positive and my understanding is that his wife came down with it also.  He has sadly passed away but she is recovering from what I've read/heard.  There was another passenger with suspected COVID but it was determined that she was suffering from pneumonia & has returned home.  There is a thread on here under "Silver Shadow" where this is discussed fully. In my correspondence with other passengers, I have thankfully not heard of further cases.  As an aside, the Americans who were "repatriated" - that was the word of the day - were not permitted to travel home with luggage so we are still waiting.  Other nationalities were able to take theirs along. We had communication from Silversea today that it will be shipped from Southampton around the 28th.  I'll believe it when I see it.

FauxNom, please continue to let us know how you two are progressing.  Best wishes for complete recoveries. 

Thanks very much, nowornever. I appreciate that. Your experience on the Shadow was obviously no picnic! How much time did you have actually cruising before the quarantine? We were reading the thread you mentioned while we were quarantined on the Explorer. I recall being somewhat envious because they were letting you outside at first, and you were able to get laundry done :)  I know that changed soon enough, but we were really locked down on a moment's notice. 

We too are without luggage. Ours is near Panama, and we just received email saying they have been unable to find a port that will allow unloading the luggage. Good luck with yours!

22 hours ago, FauxNom said:

Thanks very much, nowornever. I appreciate that. Your experience on the Shadow was obviously no picnic! How much time did you have actually cruising before the quarantine? We were reading the thread you mentioned while we were quarantined on the Explorer. I recall being somewhat envious because they were letting you outside at first, and you were able to get laundry done 🙂 I know that changed soon enough, but we were really locked down on a moment's notice. 

We too are without luggage. Ours is near Panama, and we just received email saying they have been unable to find a port that will allow unloading the luggage. Good luck with yours!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/cruise-ships-coronavirus/?itid=hp_rhp-banner-main_cruisefallout-1020am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2020 at 7:14 AM, FauxNom said:

I also saw a press account of 4 cases in South Australia. 

I think you will find they were part of the Ruby Princess cluster. (I may be wrong)  Love a link to the article if you have one.  

Our press has been pretty heavy on naming exactly which cruise ships and how many.  The only stories about Shadow have been about the Aussies who were trapped on board.

3 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

I think you will find they were part of the Ruby Princess cluster. (I may be wrong)  Love a link to the article if you have one.  

Here it is. I should have said South not Southwest Australia. https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/south-australias-coronavirus-cases-rise-to-235-with-more-ruby-princess-passengers-diagnosed-c-764343

Also, here's a very interesting account of our cruise (which unfortunately might be subscription only; I just stumbled upon it through Google): https://www.afr.com/companies/tourism/i-was-ready-for-guys-with-guns-diary-of-a-cruise-escape-from-chile-20200415-p54k1e  This is about a couple from Sydney, both of whom contracted the virus. 

FauxNom.  I hope that each day has brought improvement in your health.  Did you have really bad dreams when you returned?  I did & woke up several times a night thinking I was still there.  It took a week to get over them...mostly.  To answer your question about the time we had on board prior to the quarantine, we boarded in FLL on 24 Jan so had 3 full segments of the 4 segment Grand Voyage. The folks who boarded in Rio only had 3 or 4 days.  According to Fed Ex, our luggage is due to arrive on Wed.  It went to Tilbury, even though the Cloud went to Southampton. Apparently the luggage was taken from the Shadow to the Cloud in the Canary Isl.,  to Southampton to Tilbury....are you following?  Of course we have pretty much everything in our suticases that is forbidden by FedEx (liquids & electronics)  so who knows what will arrive?  Fortunately "formal nights" have all been canceled at home !  

Please keep us posted on your situation ... health & luggage.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nowornever said:

FauxNom.  I hope that each day has brought improvement in your health.  Did you have really bad dreams when you returned?  I did & woke up several times a night thinking I was still there.  It took a week to get over them...mostly.  To answer your question about the time we had on board prior to the quarantine, we boarded in FLL on 24 Jan so had 3 full segments of the 4 segment Grand Voyage. The folks who boarded in Rio only had 3 or 4 days.  According to Fed Ex, our luggage is due to arrive on Wed.  It went to Tilbury, even though the Cloud went to Southampton. Apparently the luggage was taken from the Shadow to the Cloud in the Canary Isl.,  to Southampton to Tilbury....are you following?  Of course we have pretty much everything in our suticases that is forbidden by FedEx (liquids & electronics)  so who knows what will arrive?  Fortunately "formal nights" have all been canceled at home !  

Please keep us posted on your situation ... health & luggage.  

I'm happy to hear that you had some quality time onboard the Shadow, nowornever. I had some vivid dreams when I was at the peak of the virus, right after we got home. Unsurprisingly, I've been having my version of a nightmare: I know I need to be at the airport to leave on a big trip, but somehow my ride there depends on people who have loads of other things planned. It's always a bit comical, but I always miss the plane and wake up in a panic! No dreams about confinement in a small space, thank goodness. 

I hope you and your luggage reunite soon! No news on ours, but yes, my health is getting better bit by bit. Thanks for asking.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:09 AM, DCCruiser57 said:

Silver Shadow was quarantined for some time in Recife, Brazil due to COVID-19 and I believe there was at least one death.  

The Silver Shadow crew were combined with the crews from the Wind and Cloud onto the Silver Cloud and brought to UK to be repatriated. The UK are apparently not doing any health checks or looking at any health checks carried out on board, so they didn't have to declare that some of the crew were from an infected ship.

I know we had at least four people once home in Adelaide who tested positive from Explorer too.