Iguazu Falls Hotel

HALrunner

I see a lot of people on this board book the Gran Melia for their stay at Iguazu Falls. The Belmond Hotel das Cataratas seems quite appealing to me. Is there a reason why the majority chose the Melia over the other? I realize the Gran Melia is on the Brazilian side, but am I missing some other major factor? 

Also, once at the Falls, are there any tour companies you could recommend for boating excursions?

I'm guessing only that it dates back to not very long ago that one had to have a Brazilian visa which was a pain to get. You had to have your flights booked and then send your passport and required info to a consulate or visa service. The required was temporarily lifted for the Olympics and now has been 'permanently'. Many years ago we stayed at the then Las Cataratas and it was a stunning property right by the falls. Belmond has fabulous properties so I'm betting it's even better now. I have no info re boating. It's a wonderful place and I'm glad we didn't miss it.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm guessing only that it dates back to not very long ago that one had to have a Brazilian visa which was a pain to get. You had to have your flights booked and then send your passport and required info to a consulate or visa service. The required was temporarily lifted for the Olympics and now has been 'permanently'. Many years ago we stayed at the then Las Cataratas and it was a stunning property right by the falls. Belmond has fabulous properties so I'm betting it's even better now. I have no info re boating. It's a wonderful place and I'm glad we didn't miss it.

Thanks! I noticed you were one of the few (only?) people on the boards who at stayed at Las Cataratas previously. Excellent point about the former visa issue. Thanks for chiming in!

16 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Thanks! I noticed you were one of the few (only?) people on the boards who at stayed at Las Cataratas previously. Excellent point about the former visa issue. Thanks for chiming in!

My pleasure. It was funny. I can't remember but somehow the light seemed odd. This was 25 years ago so no digital cameras. So I kept taking pictures and taking pictures and, of course, they all turned out 🙂

Edited by clo

After our Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise we took a short Aerolineas Argentinas flight to Iguazu.  (February 29 - March 3, 2020)

We hired a driver through the hotel to pick us up at the hotel for ourselves and another couple.  $12.00 USD.  He was waiting for us after luggage pick up.  He was very personable and strived to tell us in his best English about the sights on the ride to the Gran Melia Iguazu.

Upon arrival we upgraded our Falls View to a Suite with Falls View.  Our friends had a Falls View.  The falls view is definitely worth the extra money.  Speaking of money - If you join the Gran Melia Loyalty Program they immediately give you 2,000 points to use for your room.  This significantly reduced the price.

We did take a day trip via private driver to the Brazil side.  We left a 9:00 and our driver walked us through both immigration stops each way, helped us to purchase our park entrance tickets, and the boat ride ticket.  He then gave us some tips and we were on our way.  The driver waited for us all day and was in the coffee shop when we finally emerged.  I think the driver was about $120.00 USD.  The Brazil side is much smaller and can be done in one day.  The Argentine side needs at least two days.

The Gran Melia was spectacular.  The rooms were very nice, clean, and modern.  The views were outstanding.  The included breakfast was very good and lots of choices.  They even have a fresh squeezed orange juice machine.  The dinners were yummy and large portions.  After the first night my husband and I ordered only one entre and two salads.  We still could not finish everything on our plate.

The sunrises in the morning from either your room or the lobby are spectacular.  The wildlife around the hotel and in the park are fun and very photogenic.  Being able to just walk past the pool and onto the trails make it so easy and you can beat the crowds.  When you go to the Devil's Throat you can get one of the first trains to the trail.  (TIP - When you go to the devils throat bring your water camera.)

We did go to the Belmond (love their hotels) while on the Brazil side.  I do not think many, if any, of the rooms have a view of the falls.  It is a grand hotel with a more old world feel than the Gran Melia.  The Gran Melia is more organic and contemporary.

IMG_1424.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

After our Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise we took a short Aerolineas Argentinas flight to Iguazu.  (February 29 - March 3, 2020)

We hired a driver through the hotel to pick us up at the hotel for ourselves and another couple.  $12.00 USD.  He was waiting for us after luggage pick up.  He was very personable and strived to tell us in his best English about the sights on the ride to the Gran Melia Iguazu.

Upon arrival we upgraded our Falls View to a Suite with Falls View.  Our friends had a Falls View.  The falls view is definitely worth the extra money.  Speaking of money - If you join the Gran Melia Loyalty Program they immediately give you 2,000 points to use for your room.  This significantly reduced the price.

We did take a day trip via private driver to the Brazil side.  We left a 9:00 and our driver walked us through both immigration stops each way, helped us to purchase our park entrance tickets, and the boat ride ticket.  He then gave us some tips and we were on our way.  The driver waited for us all day and was in the coffee shop when we finally emerged.  I think the driver was about $120.00 USD.  The Brazil side is much smaller and can be done in one day.  The Argentine side needs at least two days.

The Gran Melia was spectacular.  The rooms were very nice, clean, and modern.  The views were outstanding.  The included breakfast was very good and lots of choices.  They even have a fresh squeezed orange juice machine.  The dinners were yummy and large portions.  After the first night my husband and I ordered only one entre and two salads.  We still could not finish everything on our plate.

The sunrises in the morning from either your room or the lobby are spectacular.  The wildlife around the hotel and in the park are fun and very photogenic.  Being able to just walk past the pool and onto the trails make it so easy and you can beat the crowds.  When you go to the Devil's Throat you can get one of the first trains to the trail.  (TIP - When you go to the devils throat bring your water camera.)

We did go to the Belmond (love their hotels) while on the Brazil side.  I do not think many, if any, of the rooms have a view of the falls.  It is a grand hotel with a more old world feel than the Gran Melia.  The Gran Melia is more organic and contemporary.

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips! 

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Highway Falls?  Sorry, I'm confused as to which falls you mean.  If it is the Iguazu Falls as noted in the title of the thread, then I would say definitely make plans to see them.  We arrived in Buenos Aires a few days before our cruise from Buenos Aires to Vancouver.  I would say Iguazu was the highlitght.  We also stayed at the Gran Melia and it is a delightful place to stay.  Since you are already in the park, you do not have to pay an entrance fee every time you enter.  It is wonderful to be able to return to the hotel and sit out on the patio, viewing the falls while resting.  We flew from BA to Iguazu, a short flight.

• 5 months later...

First off, I am cheap and would never book that hotel in the park itself for that reason alone.  For half the price, pick one of the hotels in town that has good reviews on Trip Advisor.  You can grab the public bus for a dollar or so to get to and from the falls.  The best part of staying in town, though, is the easy access to all the great restaurants.  If you stay out in the park, you're 15 minutes away from town and probably end up eating at the hotel.

9 hours ago, scottjeanne said:

Silver Seas just cancelled our Iguazu Falls post cruise extension. It was to be March 2021

What is their reason for cancelling your Iguazu Falls post cruise extension?

I shall also be taking the same extension in March (17-21), 2021, but through Viking.  This news makes me nervous.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:53 AM, scottjeanne said:

I assume it is covid related.  Transversing from Brazil to Argentina and back may be troublesome.  My travel agent is out of the office this week, so I will hear more next week.

Did you get any more info? We are supposed to do the falls in Feb. with Silversea and have not heard anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since we are doing a post extension through the cruise line, I am not sure how far in advance to book. Our cruise disembarks in Buenos Aires.  As of now, I do not think they are allowing cruise ships to do that, so I am not sure whether Iguazu Falls is a go or not.  Buenos Aires is allowing air passengers though, so maybe silver Seas would fly us to Buenos Aires or directly to Iguazu Falls from wherever we disembark.