How Credible is American?

AlwayzCruising

Looking at booking through the cruise line on American Airlines, but I have heard from a few people now that it's not very credible and may be late? Does anyone have any recent experience.

I'm looking at doing an overnight flight from Sacramento to Miami and getting in the morning of the cruise... If I was flying in the day before, I wouldn't worry so much... But, now I'm a little worried.. 

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has! :)

American is quite credible, but that doesn't mean the flight can't be delayed or late. Booking through the cruise line doesn't change that. Did a day time flight SFO-MIA last summer and it was fine.

I would book the day before. Unless you sleep great on a plane, you will arrive jetlagged, and your first day won't be too much fun. Would provide a lot of assurance you won't have any issues catching your cruise.

American cancelled our red-eye home from the Big Island of Hawaii a few years ago.  At 4 am when they finally got everyone to the same hotel at the same time, the hotel clerk said, "Oh, this happens all the time."  We had 2 extra nights in Hawaii, well 1 1/2 nights unless you count all the time spent at the airport before they finally cancelled the flight.

8 hours ago, SusieQft said:

American cancelled our red-eye home from the Big Island of Hawaii a few years ago.  At 4 am when they finally got everyone to the same hotel at the same time, the hotel clerk said, "Oh, this happens all the time."  We had 2 extra nights in Hawaii, well 1 1/2 nights unless you count all the time spent at the airport before they finally cancelled the flight.

It doesn't happen "all the time". Not exactly a big picture review of how airlines operate. Do flights occasionally get canceled? Of course. But not "all the time".

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

It doesn't happen "all the time". Not exactly a big picture review of how airlines operate. Do flights occasionally get canceled? Of course. But not "all the time".

No, of course that was a figure of speech.  I think the point was that the hotel was accustomed to it happening frequently.  And yes, this was not a big picture review, just one anecdote.

I've flown AA hundreds of times, usually about once a week on average, mostly domestically but some international too. Can't say any of the reported stories ring true with my experiences. The sources of this "may be late" information is pretty key here. AA had problems with their mechanics union in the past year which has resolved itself for the most part. The casual travelling public often have long memories for what is long out of date information.

I know we have other AA regular flyers on here too.

Looking at airport boards with cancellations-   many times it isn't restricted to a single airline-   it involves weather.   🙂   

Of course occasionally flights are canceled.    AA isn't unique  all airlines do so    

It's a roll of the dice and how much risk you can accept??      Would this be the last option for you to get to the cruise?    I'd suggest having at least 1 later flight available--   know ahead,  the other routing possibilities.     IF weather is predicted being a cancel cause-  head out immediately ahead of time.    Some times-  change fees are waived,    if not,  a sure flight  can be worth the fee.     

• Thanks 1

I wonder about that use of the word "credible".  I know that comes up in legal situations - is the witness credible and so forth.  For airlines??

Perhaps the intended word was "reliable".  And even then, in what regard?  Specific flight reliability?  Schedule integrity? Maintenance practices?

Words matter.  As do specific questions.

• Like 1

I am a travel agent, I have clients flying all over continually, and I also travel quite a bit. I can tell you that in discussing air bookings with each of my clients, they each have their own thoughts on airlines they won't fly, such as "anything but Delta (or United, or American, or British Airways, or put in any major carrier here) as I ALWAYS have problems with them being late (or cancelling, or rescheduling, or put in any complaint here)". There has yet to be a consensus on any airline that is avoided or adored by a significant amount of clients as of yet. 

Edited by terry&mike
copy

T&M -- Pakistan International has to be near the bottom of any list.  They have had flights with more passengers than seats, flights that change airports at a whim, and once sacrificed a goat before ATRs were returned to operation.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, terry&mike said:

I am a travel agent, I have clients flying all over continually, and I also travel quite a bit. I can tell you that in discussing air bookings with each of my clients, they each have their own thoughts on airlines they won't fly, such as "anything but Delta (or United, or American, or British Airways, or put in any major carrier here) as I ALWAYS have problems with them being late (or cancelling, or rescheduling, or put in any complaint here)". There has yet to be a consensus on any airline that is avoided or adored by a significant amount of clients as of yet. 

And the naive thought of a one time issue,  years ago with a coworker's cousin  etc etc  etc   is going to keep repeating every time,   they fly on airline abc.       Or the single experience of a once/year flyer,  becomes an assumption of an "always"  ,  then leads to a "never"  decision.           I don't get it.     Every trips starts new with the airlines most of CC posters fly.     It's not a perfect operation,   but overall,  I think they do a darn good job getting people transported, safely.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

And the naive thought of a one time issue,  years ago with a coworker's cousin  etc etc  etc   is going to keep repeating every time,   they fly on airline abc.       Or the single experience of a once/year flyer,  becomes an assumption of an "always"  ,  then leads to a "never"  decision.           I don't get it.     Every trips starts new with the airlines most of CC posters fly.     It's not a perfect operation,   but overall,  I think they do a darn good job getting people transported, safely.   

Agreed!

I have flown American quite a bit.  Am a frequent flyer with both American and Delta.  Sometimes they have delays but most of the time they get me where I need to go with no issues.  Last year they cancelled a flight from Little Rock to College Station Texas; they cancelled at 6:30am by sending me an email.  I didn't see email until 7:30; anyway I called and they re booked me on a United Flight and I arrived College Station before my original American Flight.  All was good. Bottom Line;  they do the best they can to get you to your destination on time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1