Stopped sailing 5 weeks and just moving crew home.

crazycruzer68

Sailing around the world to return the crew indicates to me that it is shutting down for the long haul.  There's a better chance to survive as companies by moth-balling the ships.  This pandemic is the real thing.   I'm rooting for the scientists and medical experts, and grateful for the medical care workers.  Us not getting sick or spreading it will give them the space to get us back to cruising sooner.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t get it.  Why are people planning on cruises a month or 2 or even for that matter December cruises?  I hope if you are planning a cruise, let’s say July, that the ports you are going to will even be open.  You need to research the ports you are going to, to know when things are going back to what we once called “normal”.  I don’t think they, the ports, will be and you’ll be stuck on the ship with a $25.00 cruise credit for missing the port stop.  I was just looking at rebooking my May Panorama cruise for 2022, however I’m hearing that this Coronavirus will rear its ugly head again this Winter, thus, rendering all transportation and borders shut down once again.  I hope for those who have booked cruises this year come back and keep us posted.  I know all of us here want to get back to our favorite way of vacationing which is cruising, I surely do.  I’m starting to get depressed about this whole thing as you can possibly tell in how I’m responding.  I’m all over the place with this and how it’s going to affect our future cruises.  I hope you all who are making your plans for this year will be able to sail.  Once again, please keep us who are undecided to book posted.  This is really the only place to get true information rather than fake news sites.  Ok, I’m done.  I need my drink of the day 😚.  

I've seen all the ports and prefer sea days. I dont care myself where the ship goes and more obc ... bring it on. I know we gotta stop at least one port. If this cruise gets cancelled I'll add it to the 3 rcl next year.

I plan on cruising, whenever it is.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, James4me said:

I don’t get it.  Why are people planning on cruises a month or 2 or even for that matter December cruises?  I hope if you are planning a cruise, let’s say July, that the ports you are going to will even be open.  You need to research the ports you are going to, to know when things are going back to what we once called “normal”.  I don’t think they, the ports, will be and you’ll be stuck on the ship with a $25.00 cruise credit for missing the port stop.  I was just looking at rebooking my May Panorama cruise for 2022, however I’m hearing that this Coronavirus will rear its ugly head again this Winter, thus, rendering all transportation and borders shut down once again.  I hope for those who have booked cruises this year come back and keep us posted.  I know all of us here want to get back to our favorite way of vacationing which is cruising, I surely do.  I’m starting to get depressed about this whole thing as you can possibly tell in how I’m responding.  I’m all over the place with this and how it’s going to affect our future cruises.  I hope you all who are making your plans for this year will be able to sail.  Once again, please keep us who are undecided to book posted.  This is really the only place to get true information rather than fake news sites.  Ok, I’m done.  I need my drink of the day 😚.  

I rebooked my April cruise to August 15th....I am totally ready to go.   If we cant hit a single port, I am fine with that.    I have a spa balcony room and will be completely fine sitting on my balcony listening to the water.    Better than sitting in my house one more day.

• Like 4

A back and forth trip to Europe to drop people would be 2-3 weeks max. A few ships might hang over there for a bit (Magic) . From west coast to Manila I would say they could arrive by May 6-8. The kicker will be if the ports A. Allow them to repatriate crew or B. Allow but require additional quarantine period before doing so. If that’s the case, it might cut is close. The east coast ones heading to Asia/India are a whole other story... they are a 25 day trip with drive by S Africa... they would have a RTW trip that’s for sure. But it looks like a staggered opening with ships not tendering sticking close...logistics are enough to make heads spin I am sure... so now they do the crew shuffle and head off to next adventure...

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but you really should keep in mind:

1. Many of these crew members may have been at the end of their contracts and left without another method to return home due to the lack of international flight availability.
  2. Many of these crew members may have been furloughed due to the shut down and it was more economically responsible to take them home than to keep them on board, paying them and feeding them (given the lack of international flight availability).
  3. Carnival ships will likely return to work with reduced passenger loads, requiring fewer crew members.
  4. There are some ships that will not be returning for quite some time (Legend, for one), which would free up their crews (other than a skeleton crew) to man other ships or return home.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I hate to be the voice of reason here, but you really should keep in mind:

1. Many of these crew members may have been at the end of their contracts and left without another method to return home due to the lack of international flight availability.
  2. Many of these crew members may have been furloughed due to the shut down and it was more economically responsible to take them home than to keep them on board, paying them and feeding them (given the lack of international flight availability).
  3. Carnival ships will likely return to work with reduced passenger loads, requiring fewer crew members.
  4. There are some ships that will not be returning for quite some time (Legend, for one), which would free up their crews (other than a skeleton crew) to man other ships or return home.

I think you missed the biggest point, there won’t be any cruises until 2021. I am friends with numerous crew members on Facebook. Several of them are in the process of returning home even though they are within the first few months of their current contract. I don’t think Carnival and other cruise lines would be sending people home if they were planning to resume operations any time soon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t think Carnival and other cruise lines would be sending people home if they were planning to resume operations any time soon. 

Agree.  The writing is on the wall.  Just read that Disney is considering not opening until January 2021.  There's just too many scientific unknowns about the virus and the cruise lines can't afford another outbreak on any of their ships.  It's looking like it will be more cost effective wait it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think you missed the biggest point, there won’t be any cruises until 2021. I am friends with numerous crew members on Facebook. Several of them are in the process of returning home even though they are within the first few months of their current contract. I don’t think Carnival and other cruise lines would be sending people home if they were planning to resume operations any time soon. 

I think that you are missing my point.  It is useless to speculate on whether this is an indication of when they plan to relaunch operations.  There are simply too many factors to consider to use this is a sign of continued discontinuation of operations.  

It is highly likely that those ships used to take crew members home will remain in the destination area and be ready to bring those crew members returning and those with new contracts back in time to start sailing again, as necessary.  It is highly likely that there will be a reduced need for crews, as there will be multiple ships that will not return to full operation as soon as they begin sailing again.

There are a lot of other logistical factors to be considered to rely on this one.

42 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I think that you are missing my point.  It is useless to speculate on whether this is an indication of when they plan to relaunch operations.  There are simply too many factors to consider to use this is a sign of continued discontinuation of operations.  

It is highly likely that those ships used to take crew members home will remain in the destination area and be ready to bring those crew members returning and those with new contracts back in time to start sailing again, as necessary.  It is highly likely that there will be a reduced need for crews, as there will be multiple ships that will not return to full operation as soon as they begin sailing again.

There are a lot of other logistical factors to be considered to rely on this one.

I understand your point, but if Carnival is pretty much sending all their crew members home with the exception of officers and support crew members needed to sail the ship, I think that is a very clear indication Carnival isn’t resuming operations any time soon. While I agree with your point that at some point in the distant future they are likely to resume operations with reduced passengers and crew members, they can’t support a cruise without any crew members. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I understand your point, but if Carnival is pretty much sending all their crew members home with the exception of officers and support crew members needed to sail the ship, I think that is a very clear indication Carnival isn’t resuming operations any time soon. While I agree with your point that at some point in the distant future they are likely to resume operations with reduced passengers and crew members, they can’t support a cruise without any crew members. 

Agreed, I just wish they would update past June 26th on the Magic, any idea when new announcements will publish ?

11 minutes ago, lbtnewcruiser said:

Agreed, I just wish they would update past June 26th on the Magic, any idea when new announcements will publish ?

Could be they are waiting to see if CDC recinds 100 day no sail, and/or cruise lines accepts and can implement  CDC recommendations.

Edited by beerman2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Could be they are waiting to see if CDC recinds 100 day no sail, and/or cruise lines accepts and can implement  CDC recommendations.

I'm booked for 7/4 since last year and I'm fine not to sail, I just made the mistake of booking non refundable and don't want to lose my $ by me canceling instead of Carnival, waiting on an update ......

• Like 1

Unless there's some legitimate break through in testing, treatment, and a vaccine, there won't be any cruising!

Lawsuits would be massive, cause this time, any business that reopens, knows they have to protect their customers from the virus!

The 'We didn't know' defense won't work in court!

Also agree with others, these companies didn't get big by wasting money,

they flew employees half way round the world home cause they know more then they're telling us!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lbtnewcruiser said:

I'm booked for 7/4 since last year and I'm fine not to sail, I just made the mistake of booking non refundable and don't want to lose my $ by me canceling instead of Carnival, waiting on an update ......

I believe you can reschedule without penalty if you wish. you don't get any bonus OBC, but they are waiving the change fee.

I also believe if you sail on it through September they were offering $50 or $100 OBC for sticking it through. I could not find that on their website, but I know when I called in that is what they told me. 

We are booked on 7/6 sunshine and we will not be sailing (we are a family of 19 and have some older members that are immune system impaired), waiting to see if there will be an OBC bonus to rebook.

10 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I believe you can reschedule without penalty if you wish. you don't get any bonus OBC, but they are waiving the change fee.

I also believe if you sail on it through September they were offering $50 or $100 OBC for sticking it through. I could not find that on their website, but I know when I called in that is what they told me. 

We are booked on 7/6 sunshine and we will not be sailing (we are a family of 19 and have some older members that are immune system impaired), waiting to see if there will be an OBC bonus to rebook.

Thanks for the info and response. Stay safe 🙂

I am glad you have cleared this up and we won’t sail until 2021. Problem is I called CCL to discuss moving my booking since you said we won’t sail till 2021 and they have no idea what you are talking about and where you got your information but it is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, crazycruzer68 said:

I am glad you have cleared this up and we won’t sail until 2021. Problem is I called CCL to discuss moving my booking since you said we won’t sail till 2021 and they have no idea what you are talking about and where you got your information but it is incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have any background in business, you would understand no cruise line, including Carnival, is going to announce they have cancelled cruises for the remainder of the year. Cruise lines will continue to announce cancellations roughly 30 days at a time.  Based on everything I have heard and using common sense, the likelihood of cruise lines resuming operations this year is slim.   I live in Florida and lately local news reports have stated Disney World will likely not reopen until 2021 due to challenges such as social distancing. If Disney World, with all its land can’t reopen, how do you expect a small, confined ship (even RCI’s Oasis class ships are small when considering this virus) to cruise in the near future. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you have any background in business, you would understand no cruise line, including Carnival, is going to announce they have cancelled cruises for the remainder of the year. Cruise lines will continue to announce cancellations roughly 30 days at a time.  Based on everything I have heard and using common sense, the likelihood of cruise lines resuming operations this year is slim.   I live in Florida and lately local news reports have stated Disney World will likely not reopen until 2021 due to challenges such as social distancing. If Disney World, with all its land can’t reopen, how do you expect a small, confined ship (even RCI’s Oasis class ships are small when considering this virus) to cruise in the near future. 

I think local news sources are just speculating that Disney will not Re open until 2021. I’m in central Florida and haven’t heard anything confirmed about that. I have also heard a lot rumors that Disney is opening to Florida residents in the next month or so. Either way they are just rumors until Disney makes that announcement, same with Carnival. 

6 minutes ago, Tjcalley said:

I think local news sources are just speculating that Disney will not Re open until 2021. I’m in central Florida and haven’t heard anything confirmed about that. I have also heard a lot rumors that Disney is opening to Florida residents in the next month or so. Either way they are just rumors until Disney makes that announcement, same with Carnival. 

I don’t think anyone, with the possible exception of high level executives, knows for certain when anything will be reopening or at least has a solid idea when they hope to reopen. Most people on this site including me are just stating opinions based on their own perspectives. However, there are still people out there that think cruising will resume in June. I would bet my last dollar against that happening. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t think anyone, with the possible exception of high level executives, knows for certain when anything will be reopening or at least has a solid idea when they hope to reopen. Most people on this site including me are just stating opinions based on their own perspectives. However, there are still people out there that think cruising will resume in June. I would bet my last dollar against that happening. 

I would agree on that

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Considering the CDC order/decree doesn't expire until July 24th , that's a good bet. Sure they can withdraw/change the date it just seems they are going expect/demand the recommendations are put into place.

• Like 1

My daughter still keeps in touch with numerous crewmembers that she worked with on the Glory a few years ago.  She has heard from several of them (most from the Entertainment Staff including 2 CD's) that they are not scheduled to return to their ships until the end of July at the earliest.