Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 23rd April 2020

rog747

Additionally -

"If your booking has been impacted by these announcements, we are extremely sorry for any disappointment this may cause you.

We’ll be crediting your guest account with a 125% Future Cruise Credit, which you may redeem up to 31 December 2021 on any voyage sailing before 31 March 2022. Alternatively, your Future Cruise Credit may also be used to add an additional stateroom to an existing booking or to upgrade an existing booking.

Please note that due to automated systems you will receive over the next few weeks receive a cancellation invoice, that will include cancellation fees, please disregard this and be assured that you will not incur any fees as a result of this cancellation.

If you would prefer a 100% cash refund please fill out this form and our Customer Contact Centre will process your request. You’ll need your six character booking reference, which can be found on your booking confirmation or any other email relating to your voyage. Please note, while our team are doing all they can to satisfy these requests promptly, it may take up to 60 days for your refund to appear. Whilst we recognise this may be disappointing, we kindly ask that you bear with us and refrain from emailing or calling our Customer Contact Centre at this time so we can prioritise helping guests with the most urgent needs."

Yes, I just received the E Mail and summitted my request for a refund for my June 29 trip. I am very pleased and surprised that they cancelled trips so far out as they have been going in 30 day jumps. Very happy this has come to a resolution however sad that their will be no more cruises for me until there is a vaccine for this virus.

I also just got the email which I found a bit surprising since I cancelled my May cruise through my TA last month.  So I went into my VP and was surprised to find e-tickets and luggage labels are there even though I hadn't filled in my contacts and travel insurance company.

In other words, they are way more behind with cancellations than I thought. Think I'll have a go at cancelling again on the online form.

• Like 1

Our final payment date is 2 days away and was set to be automatically paid via Credit card. I hope that now they have cancelled that they will not take this payment but it seems that they have so many cruises to cancel that the systems may not co-ordinate in time.

Does anyone know how to change the automatic payment on the Cunard website? - I booked directly with them via the site.

36 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

Maybe you can stop it through the credit card company just to be sure. I would expect them to be more responsible than Cunard.

Thanks - I think you are right that this is probably the best way 🙂

Operational pause extended until July 31, 2020.

Following the latest global guidelines surrounding Covid-19, Cunard is extending its operational pause up to (and including) July 31, 2020 for voyages on board Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria.

In addition, all 2020 Alaska sailings on board Queen Elizabeth, including voyages up until September 8, 2020, are now unfortunately cancelled. 

Edited by oskidunker

Yes- we watched the Cunard video regarding this announcement this morning in the US on Facebook.

Although our August trip to Alaska will definitely not happen for us this year, we are glad that Cunard has already made the decision.

This has allowed us this morning to make cancellations on some of our lodging before and after the cruise as well as rental cars we had reserved.

We will be working on cancelling the plane tickets next.

One day we will have the opportunity to see Alaska...

Until then, stay safe.

• Like 3

Although I knew it was going to happen, seeing my May transatlantic get cancelled  was still sad  (and with C19 I would not have gone should have gone ahead anyway)

In time I am sure everything will return to relative normal and I can’t wait for the rush of excitement that comes with that first step off of the gangplank and onto the QM2!    

• Like 4

Good evening all,

Like most of you, I guess you have received e-mails of cancellations of cancellation today, and guessed this would happen.

We were due to sail from Southampton for a 2 week Baltic Cruise in 10th July.  I understand that we can book another sailing for a 21/22  cruise which is fine with the £125% cruise credit, we booked whilst on board last year and then my TA took over the booking, I managed to call them today to ask about the OBC we were due for July, and was told we would not get this on a new booking? does anyone know if this is correct? seems an awful shame, given this is one of the reasons for booking on board.

Thank you in advance

C 🙂

Had my Alaska trip in August cancelled today. They'll be another time to go. It's a shame though - I've gone from 2 cruises this year to zero!

I booked my Alaska trip using a future cruise deposit I bought onboard. Does anyone know what's happening with these? Would I get it back to use on another trip?

3 minutes ago, Ynox said:

Had my Alaska trip in August cancelled today. They'll be another time to go. It's a shame though - I've gone from 2 cruises this year to zero!

I booked my Alaska trip using a future cruise deposit I bought onboard. Does anyone know what's happening with these? Would I get it back to use on another trip?

I was told by my UK TA I could transfer my fcd and the obc associated with it to my new booking. I haven't yet had the paperwork though.

Hi,

I received notice from Cunard that my Queen Elizabeth cruise that was scheduled to depart on May 30 has been cancelled. This was not a surprise, but I am still sad. This was going to be my first sailing in a Queens Grill suite.

Chuck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catzgirl said:

Good evening all,

Like most of you, I guess you have received e-mails of cancellations of cancellation today, and guessed this would happen.

We were due to sail from Southampton for a 2 week Baltic Cruise in 10th July.  I understand that we can book another sailing for a 21/22  cruise which is fine with the £125% cruise credit, we booked whilst on board last year and then my TA took over the booking, I managed to call them today to ask about the OBC we were due for July, and was told we would not get this on a new booking? does anyone know if this is correct? seems an awful shame, given this is one of the reasons for booking on board.

Thank you in advance

C 🙂

We had a roundtrip TA booked for 6th May which has already been cancelled by Cunard last month we also booked this cruise onboard giving us extra OBC but this has now been lost also. 

1 hour ago, Ynox said:

Yes your FCD can be transferred to another new booking it will not be lost.

• Like 1

Yep, got the email. I was to be my first ever cruise with canard and I was looking forward to it. A similar cruise next year is more than 125% of what I paid for this cruise... So I'm out, waiting for my 60 day refund 😞

Just a bit of hope here in New Zealand. On the news today that Australia and NZ are in talks to open their borders to each other in the 2nd  half of the year - I'm now looking a using my credit for a a local cruise - quite like the idea of going to ports I know well so I can just hang out on the ship LOL 

• Like 3

Well, my decision on 23rd March to cancel my 22July crossing and not pay the balance has proven to be a good thing. The Money is in the bank and I can spend it on my 22 July, 2021 crossing instead. And that will give us plenty of time to get past this bug.

Cunard cancelled our QM2 Cruise 14/3/20 just hours before we went to board in Fremantle.

I received a call from Cunard Aust at 11am the day of embarkation asking me if I wanted a voucher or a refund. I said refund please, as we are in our 80’s we don’t know if we will want to travel for some time.  Since that call, we have heard nothing!

With the way Cunard have dealt with this, I doubt we would ever book with them again even if we are still fit to travel in coming years.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of these postings.  We have not yet received any communications from Cunard, but tomorrow I will use the link on the Cunard web site to request a refund of our June 21 QM2 crossing.  We dearly hope to return to the QM2 when it is safe. someday.

Thank you for your recent email and for taking the time to contact us.

We’re sorry that you have not received your refund within the timescale previously communicated. COVID-19 is having a significant impact on our operations especially now that the vast majority of our team are working remotely.

Your request has been received and our estimate is that refunds are likely to take a minimum of 60 days to process. Refunds for bookings made through travel agents will be made by cheque direct to guests.  We appreciate that this is not the news you were hoping for but do ask for your patience and understanding at this challenging time.

In the meantime, please accept this email as our acknowledgement of receipt.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Thank you for your recent email and subsequent emails.

We can confirm you will receive two cheques, one for each booking, as we process the cancellation and refund for each.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Kind regards,

Guest Relations

I cancelled 2 consectitive QV cruises for late April and early May and emailed  Cunard UK last week  the above  are the replies received  it seems likely they are dealing with cruises in date order. I successfully transferred another r QV cruise to QM" next year quickly and without fuss last week

Edited by sogne

For some reason, I can't quite grasp the 125% FCC concept. My wife and I just had our September QE Vancouver-to-Yokohama cruise cancelled. Not including taxes and port charges, the price we booked it for was about $4,000 per person (actually a little less, but it's easier to do the math using this figure). Because we had booked it while on the QM2 this past summer, we only had to put down a $300 pp deposit. Does this mean that if, say, we find a future cruise we like that costs $5,000 per person we would have to pay only $4,000 pp?

How about a cruise that costs LESS than what the cancelled one cost? Would we get the FCC benefit in the form of an even lower price (for example, by knocking $1,000 pp off the cost of a $3,000 pp cruise)? Or would there be no advantage to booking a less expensive cruise?

Finally, in all cases would we still be able to "move over" our $300 pp deposit to that future cruise without having to pay anything more until 120 days prior to sailing?

We're experienced cruisers but have never had to deal with these issues before. Thanks in advance for clarifying these issues.

Jim