Cunard's Cancellations/Refunds Update 23rd April 2020

rog747

Follow up..............Coincidently I just got a call from Cunard Guest Relations responding to an email I had sent previously, saying that they were aware that I had requested a refund and they were working on it. It is taking longer than expected. So yes, my refund will be on its way :)

Today I received three emails from Cunard apologizing for the delay in refunding my shore excursions from the 2020 World Cruise.  They said the refunds have been processed and I should get them credited to my cc's this week.

The amounts were $3450 for an African Safari, $290 for a Mauritus excursion and another one for $252 that I don't recognize but maybe port fees?  I don't know.

Nothing about the remaining days of the cruise for which I requested a refund, but I was glad to get these and hope the money does actually show up this week.

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Hi there Major.

I had previously noted your comment where you stated that your 'refund', as yet not received, was for a cruise on 6th May.

Assuming, on the figures I posted earlier, and that refunds were being actioned in chronological order, I wouldn't be thinking mine would be due for some weeks hence.

Hi Richard  agree with u 100% FWIW my TA told me 2day that 70+ r first 4 refunds I am happy 2 wait 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coathanger said:

Difficult situation for the travel agents. Hopefully the chargeback (Section 75) avenue bears fruit.

While a 38% refund rate is good for liquidity, it's worth noting the heavily oversubscribed offering reportedly comes with an 11.5% interest rate.

I have literally just had a response from the TA to my email telling them I was going down the credit card charge back route.

Thank you for your email.

Please rest assured the refund credit note does not replace your refund. This credit note is protected by ABTA so we have issued this to protect your money whilst we wait for the refund from Cunard and other suppliers.

We still aim to refund you as soon as possible. There has been an update from Carnival house in Southampton and they are working on ways to get refunds out faster. As soon as we have this refund, we will be refunding you.

Regards

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahani said:

I have literally just had a response from the TA to my email telling them I was going down the credit card charge back route.

Please rest assured the refund credit note does not replace your refund. This credit note is protected by ABTA so we have issued this to protect your money whilst we wait for the refund from Cunard and other suppliers.

We still aim to refund you as soon as possible. There has been an update from Carnival house in Southampton and they are working on ways to get refunds out faster. As soon as we have this refund, we will be refunding you.

Regards

Thought.... Would a kind TA take the ABTA credit note, in lieu of Funds, themselves, and send you the cash?  After all, the Credit Note is protected by their esteemed organisation.

Just thinking out loud......

1 hour ago, Dahani said:

Please rest assured the refund credit note does not replace your refund. This credit note is protected by ABTA ...

Hi,

I have a few thoughts about this.

1) Travel agents may be telling people their credit notes are protected by ABTA, but ABTA themselves seem less sure. According to their website, “Refund Credit Notes should be protected” (emphasis mine).

2) Are you sure that what you have is a Refund Credit Note? There are all sorts of criteria as to what qualifies, and I’m pretty sure a Cunard Future Cruise Credit does not.

3) Since you booked through a TA did you, like us, pay the TA who then paid Cunard? Guess who the credit card company are going to go after for the money? I wouldn’t be surprised if the TA tells you anything to steer you away from that route.

4) Are you (everyone) aware that ‘chargeback’ and ‘section 75’ are not the same thing? 

Not it trying to cast doom and gloom just promote a realistic approach to the situation.

Regards, Colin.

• Like 1

Some are making comments that people will be loyal to Cunard after this refund fiasco because of the great service etc onboard. This was to be our first cruise with Cunard, essentially to try queens grill suites, I cannot see us ever bothering again. Cunard Australia are useless, maybe in the UK you can have faith in them but not here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, safarigal said:

Follow up..............Coincidently I just got a call from Cunard Guest Relations responding to an email I had sent previously, saying that they were aware that I had requested a refund and they were working on it. It is taking longer than expected. So yes, my refund will be on its way 🙂

and so is christmas . . .  which will get here first?

60days??????      My question remains - 60 days from when???  60 days from the date of the email Cunard sent me on 19 February cancelling my 38 day 06 May Yokohama to Alaska or  60 days after they implemented a web based "application for refund" form a couple of months later  - or 60 days after the cruise was meant to start on 06 May - or 60 days after the cruise was meant to finish on 12 June . ????   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

60days??????      My question remains - 60 days from when???  60 days from the date of the email Cunard sent me on 19 February cancelling my 38 day 06 May Yokohama to Alaska or  60 days after they implemented a web based "application for refund" form a couple of months later  - or 60 days after the cruise was meant to start on 06 May - or 60 days after the cruise was meant to finish on 12 June . ????   

Getting info from them is like pulling teeth.

The last email I received said they were processing refunds in the order they were received on the on-line form. I filled mine in 64 days ago and we're still waiting (no longer patiently). We were initially quoted 45 days.

By the way, that form went up mid March

12 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Hi,

1) Travel agents may be telling people their credit notes are protected by ABTA, but ABTA themselves seem less sure. According to their website, “Refund Credit Notes should be protected” (emphasis mine).

2) Are you sure that what you have is a Refund Credit Note? There are all sorts of criteria as to what qualifies, and I’m pretty sure a Cunard Future Cruise Credit does not.

3) Since you booked through a TA did you, like us, pay the TA who then paid Cunard? Guess who the credit card company are going to go after for the money? I wouldn’t be surprised if the TA tells you anything to steer you away from that route.

4) Are you (everyone) aware that ‘chargeback’ and ‘section 75’ are not the same thing? 

Not it trying to cast doom and gloom just promote a realistic approach to the situation.

Regards, Colin.

Good morning Colin.

Excellent retort and one I can fully concur with particularly line 3.

Travel Agents give considerable prominence to their 'ABTA' membership but the bottom line is what the letters stand for...Association of British Travel Agents...that is, it is their organisation.

9 hours ago, jland said:

Some are making comments that people will be loyal to Cunard after this refund fiasco because of the great service etc onboard. This was to be our first cruise with Cunard, essentially to try queens grill suites, I cannot see us ever bothering again. Cunard Australia are useless, maybe in the UK you can have faith in them but not here.

8 hours ago, ozbrian said:

and so is christmas . . .  which will get here first?

Good morning Oz.

I read many of your comments however I do find it difficult to formulate an opinion as there never appears to be too much detail i support of some statements..."Cunard Australia are useless..."

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Oz.

I read many of your comments however I do find it difficult to formulate an opinion as there never appears to be too much detail i support of some statements..."Cunard Australia are useless..."

Solent Richard, I understand you find it difficult to formulate an opinion when I say Cunard are useless but it is impossible for me to give details because Cunard give us no details. The only thing they are capable of doing is passing the buck, blaming Cunard UK for everything.

I can tell by your posts you are a fan of Cunard and I am pleased for you but if you had to deal with Cunard Australia you might understand where we are coming from. It is very easy to be critical of other peoples posts when you yourself are not in our situation.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, jland said:

Solent Richard, I understand you find it difficult to formulate an opinion when I say Cunard are useless but it is impossible for me to give details because Cunard give us no details. The only thing they are capable of doing is passing the buck, blaming Cunard UK for everything.

I can tell by your posts you are a fan of Cunard and I am pleased for you but if you had to deal with Cunard Australia you might understand where we are coming from. It is very easy to be critical of other peoples posts when you yourself are not in our situation.

Good morning again.

Yes I am a fan of Cunard but I am also a fan of a number of other cruise lines too, P&O, Hapag-Lloyd, Regent Seven Seas to name a few. Indeed, in the last 15 months  Cunard have only accounted for a fifth of my cruising.

Perhaps I didn't make my response clear enough when I mentioned 'details'.

Making a case is  all down to the art of communication so why not put 'your case' in perspective. If it were me I would lay down the most relevant details like, when it was  booked, was it with a Travel Agent,  the cruise dates, when was it cancelled, etc etc.

Please don't take this personally, there are too many who just make wild statements usually in the knowledge that the company will not or cannot respond in kind.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread (# 292) , I'm due a refund from an Australian based company who tell me..."please be aware that refunds are taking between 12-16 weeks to be processed'" and  I've not taken to the internet giving them any grief. 

Have a nice day.

Stoic Richard

19 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Hi,

Regards, Colin.

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. 

This is the wording of the Refund Credit Note... 

Refund Credit Note

Maximum Validity Date 31 January 2021
Refund Credit Note value £x, xxx
Booking reference xxxxxx
ATOL Certificate unique reference number xxxxxx
Lead name Mr xxx xxx xxxxxxxx
Number of passengers 2
Duration 33 Days 
Original Destination Australia 
Please retain all booking documentation, receipts, confirmation, invoice documents,
ATOL Certificate and your proof of payment, such as credit card statements.

I have asked for a refund, for which I have several reasons, as opposed to a Future Cruise Credit from Cunard. By UK law my refund was due within 14 days. I appreciate that we are in exceptional times and that 14 days was never a realistic prospect. 

I also appreciate that my Section 75 claim inevitably means that my Credit Card provider will go to the TA for recompense. I fully understand this leaves the TA at a financial disadvantage. I have sympathy with their plight and was happy to agree to the initial 60 days. 

I am also of the opinion that Cunard are not necessarily fully to blame for the tardiness of the refunds as, ultimately, they are accountable to Carnival Corp. It is not without the grounds of possibility that Carnival have instructed Cunard (and the other brands) to delay refunds. 

This raises another point, are Cunard / Carnival going to let all these TAs suffer financially? 

I, along with many others, are very unhappy with Cunards inability to communicate in anything other than platitudes. 

I sincerely hope everyone manages to get the refunds or fccs sorted so we can all move on and get back to travelling in the most civilised way! 

On 5/17/2020 at 11:16 AM, majortom10 said:

I havent received my refund for 6th May roundtrip TA which was claimed 30th March. I certainly will not be waiting over 60 days if I have not received it by then I shall be informing Cunard I will be claiming S75 through my credit card. Shocking customer service from Cunard not impressed at all. 

Yes another few days have passed and on day 65 ( refund agreed on 16 Mar) I am still waiting patiently for my refund. I don't doubt for one moment that Cunard are working tirelessly to fulfil its obligations: doing so is the best way to shore up and retain its customers. So I will hold on a few more days but the prospect of going through the Credit Card route does seem to be on the horizon. ☹

21 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Yes another few days have passed and on day 65 ( refund agreed on 16 Mar) I am still waiting patiently for my refund. I don't doubt for one moment that Cunard are working tirelessly to fulfil its obligations: doing so is the best way to shore up and retain its customers. So I will hold on a few more days but the prospect of going through the Credit Card route does seem to be on the horizon. ☹

Clagmeister, like you I filled in the refund form on the 16th March, initially told 45 days , but like you nothing yet. Looks like they haven't got to 16th March yet. It's a pity they don't have a clock,  say we are up to xx March so we'd  know where we stand. Like you I'm thinking about credit card route but they say it could take time (they would wouldn't they), so use it as a last resort if sure Cunard won't refund you. Looking at P&O on CC refunds for Mid March are slowly but surely being paid. Will be patient for a bit longer.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if it's of any help but I got an email today off P&O and seeing as the same people are processing both Cunard & P&O refunds:

In the past few weeks, despite the challenges, we have been able to put new technology, systems and additional resource in place which will result in more refunds being processed more quickly, and we intend that this will improve the situation daily.

Following initial trials of our new processes, we are responding to refund requests received in date order, with this our priority focus and will respond to your request as soon as we possibly can.

Edited by Ray66
  • Like 1

I have just finished a call with my US based TA regarding our upcoming 14 nighter on QM2 departing October 9th.

My initial query was whether Cunard had or were about to reduce the payment deadline for cruises departing after October 1st from 120 to 60 days, as is presently the rule for departures up to September 30th. The answer he received from Cunard was an emphatic 'No'. If payment is not made by June 11, we will be into normal cancellation charges.

My secondary query was to ascertain whether the deposit already paid could be transferred to a later sailing. Again, the answer was an emphatic 'No'. Its non refundable so you can whistle for it.

The problem we have is we are due to fly in from Ireland. If there is no indication that the incoming travel ban will be lifted by early October, and we have paid the balance, then we will be out a lot of money.

A 60 day payment deadline would help as our flights have to be issued by August 6th.

I really do not know what to do. We already had Celebrity cancel a Fjords cruise from Dublin  on May 28th. The refund is still pending for that. What should have been a surprise retirement gift for my wife is rapidly turning sour.

15 minutes ago, phbr said:

The problem we have is we are due to fly in from Ireland. If there is no indication that the incoming travel ban will be lifted by early October, and we have paid the balance, then we will be out a lot of money.

Your trip insurance probably includes coverage for being "quarantined."  You might talk to your insurance agent/issuer and ask whether being excluded from the country or port of departure would be a covered risk.

40 minutes ago, Neuhoftraveler said:

Your trip insurance probably includes coverage for being "quarantined."  You might talk to your insurance agent/issuer and ask whether being excluded from the country or port of departure would be a covered risk.

Normally, the travel insurance policy would be the first line of defence. Problem is here and in other countries is that Insurance companies are running for cover at the moment and using the small print to disallow claims that would normally be paid.

This is the relevant sentence on our policy....... We are NOT covered for........

the withdrawal from service of an aircraft, cross-channel train or sea vessel (temporarily or permanently), on which you are booked to travel, by the carrier or on the recommendation or order of any government, civil aviation authority, port authority, rail authority or other similar authority in any country

Edited by phbr
added to

41 minutes ago, phbr said:

Normally, the travel insurance policy would be the first line of defence. Problem is here and in other countries is that Insurance companies are running for cover at the moment and using the small print to disallow claims that would normally be paid.

This is the relevant sentence on our policy....... We are NOT covered for........

the withdrawal from service of an aircraft, cross-channel train or sea vessel (temporarily or permanently), on which you are booked to travel, by the carrier or on the recommendation or order of any government, civil aviation authority, port authority, rail authority or other similar authority in any country

I meant to add that the policy makes no reference to quarantining, or anything like it. I'm going to email the Insurance Company and ask them for a straight answer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning Oz.

I was told 45 days, then 60 days for a refund (it's been 65 now). At the 45 and 60 day marks I sent emails asking if they could tell me what date they are currently processing. I received boilerplate responses that did not answer the question.

I sent emails asking for position in the queue (couldn't tell me - fair enough) so I asked what date they were processing. After a few attempts they sent an email saying they were processing refunds "in the order they were received from the online form.", but no date.

Great, at least they had a system. I sent a one line email back asking what date were they up to.

Here is the response from a Helen Snider on behalf of Cunard Customer Service"

Dear Mr ,

Kind regards
Helen
Guest Services

Cunard Line

The only thing I changed was remove my surname. 

If that doesn't fit your definition of "useless" I don't know what would.

I forwarded that response to Josh Weinstein (President, Carnival UK) and Stein Kruse (CEO Carnival UK and Holland America Group) but expect they will just forward on to another 'Helen' somewhere.

We are now firmly in the NEVER CUNARD camp.

• Like 2

Small refund update from Aus. We had prepurchased an excursion for cruise departing 15 March, which Cunard cancelled on 14th. We received an email from them on 16th advising the excursion would be refunded automatically. We later also completed the online form on advice from their call centre, submitted 6 April. We have now been advised the excursion refund was processed as at 19 May, which is 9 weeks from their email, 6 weeks from our form. I assume the key date is their original email as the cruise was cancelled before the general shutdown. I will be interested to see if our cruise refund will also be soon, i.e. dated from our prompt email asking for a refund (the form was not available then and actually sets date parameters that do not include our cruise), or from our later use of the form (again per call centre advice). Interstate travel expenses were "approved" and submitted upline some 4 weeks ago. Hope this helps.