Multiple cruises credit card dispute

Anyone have experience with credit card disputes concerning multiple cruises.

Right now Royal owes me money for 3 different things.

1) cxld March 29th Freedom cruise $3750

2) cxld Empress May 2021 cruise -deposit of $750 

3) cxld Oasis Oct 2020 cruise - deposit of $400

I am more concerned about pt 1 ...but if I file dispute only for pt 1 and money finally gets refunded for pt 2 or 3 how will Capital One distinguish which cruise the money got refunded on.  So the question ...file for all 3?  

I created a spreadsheet to keep track...my deposit for Freedom was feb 1 2018....long long time ago.

My Oasis was originally for 5 people at $100 each  but then the May 4 nighter got cxld we flipped to an Oct 7 nighter and 1 person dropped out so the refund for that person shows feb 2019 for $100.

Thankfully it is all on 1 card  my capital one.

I was told by my TA last week ( after I emailed Exec office) that Royal would refund my Empress deposit this week.  Nothing came yet so I plan to call Capital One on Monday.

The freedom cruise got cxld march 13th by Rccl..I requested refund march 14th..and as we all know the 30 days has passed.. screenshot saying refund to original form of payment in 30 days. Etcetc  Last week TA told earliest this refund would come is 1st week May.

So again...no way to dispute just 1...I need to dispute all 3 to have the full total out there...esp as refunds posted here mention multiple refunds in small random amounts.

45 minutes ago, LINDAE3213 said:

I am more concerned about pt 1 ...but if I file dispute only for pt 1 and money finally gets refunded for pt 2 or 3 how will Capital One distinguish which cruise the money got refunded on.  So the question ...file for all 3?  

I created a spreadsheet to keep track...my deposit for Freedom was feb 1 2018....long long time ago.

My Oasis was originally for 5 people at $100 each  but then the May 4 nighter got cxld we flipped to an Oct 7 nighter and 1 person dropped out so the refund for that person shows feb 2019 for $100.

I was told by my TA last week ( after I emailed Exec office) that Royal would refund my Empress deposit this week.  Nothing came yet so I plan to call Capital One on Monday.

The freedom cruise got cxld march 13th by Rccl..I requested refund march 14th..and as we all know the 30 days has passed.. screenshot saying refund to original form of payment in 30 days. Etcetc  Last week TA told earliest this refund would come is 1st week May.

So again...no way to dispute just 1...I need to dispute all 3 to have the full total out there...esp as refunds posted here mention multiple refunds in small random amounts.

If you take 30 Business days, it's 6 weeks, or 42 calendar days, which brings you to the beginning of may.   Cut them a break, they are handling thousands of cancellations with less staff, working from home as opposed to in their office.    Give them the extra 2 weeks !!!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

If you take 30 Business days, it's 6 weeks, or 42 calendar days, which brings you to the beginning of may.   Cut them a break, they are handling thousands of cancellations with less staff, working from home as opposed to in their office.    Give them the extra 2 weeks !!!

Agreed.  I would think that them having to deal with credit card disputes would slow the process even more for everybody else.  It is understandable (for several reasons) that these cancellations are taking awhile.  Please be patient.  I expect they will cancel our cruise in a few weeks and we will be patiently waiting for a refund as well as hundreds of thousands of other people.  

Dispute all three at the same time.  It’s their problem they cannot process refunds as fast as they can process charges. 

it’s your right to dispute. It’s just business after all and they agreed to the process when they chose to accept credit cards

Thanks Sam.  I have been using that card exclusively this past month since they said Freedom money would be refunded within  30 days (not 30 business days)  from request date....the screenshot we all got doing the online refund.  So I anticipated having the $ 3750 refunded in April.  Now my credit card bill due May 1 is about $2000 but Royal has refunded 0.  

20200314_062200.thumb.jpg.f58677f4c80a13247e879df022af03bf.jpg

Yea I am at 48 days still waiting on Cruise Planner Refunds.  Clearly they are taking their time holding on to the cash as long as possible.   I really can't imagine they have to do this all manually.

In general, I've always thought it odd that a business will charge your credit card the same day you by something but then they claim it takes up to 30 days to post the credit to your card when you return something. Isn't it all computerized? I know this is a little more complicated because they need to manage cash flow but in general it shouldn't be that difficult. 

2 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

You cant just call your credit card company and dispute a charge for services not rendered. It requires you to demonstrate that you have attempted to resolve the issue with the vendor (Royal). So.... start writing letters and keep copies. They have 60 days to respond.

The Fair Credit Billing Act — a federal law passed in 1975 — gives you the right to dispute charges in case you are dissatisfied with the transaction through a process called Claims and Defenses. You must file a report on a disputed purchase within 60 days of the statement date on which the charge appeared. Before you officially report your issue, the law requires you to try and work out the disagreement directly with the merchant. See if they are willing to provide you with a refund or some sort of store credit.

Here is a link to help you prepare your letters and documentation or you can just wait the 30 days that Royal said it may take to issue you credit. https://www.valuepenguin.com/disputing-credit-card-purchases

Mike

• Like 3

Thanks for the info.  I do have the written paper trail to Royal documenting the time frame they stated for refunds and that the dates have passed etc. Twice now they gave me a date the refund(s)  would occur and the date has passed. 

Thanks for the info.  I do have the written paper trail to Royal documenting the time frame they stated for refunds and that the dates have passed etc. Twice now they gave me a date the refund(s)  would occur and the date has passed. 

Someone said on another post said they were refunded in 40 days without calling. You and everyone else will get their money back. Chill!

• Like 2

I don't plan to sail Royal again.  Based on their current business practice, lack of communication, mis-communication etc it is not a company I want to proceed with.

Although I doubt any cruise company is handling this situation perfectly I can only judge by my own personal experience with how Royal is treating me.  I will cruise again but not with Royal.

Each of those things will be refunded according to the payment method and the card you used when purchasing (booking). Some banks have different waiting periods and other obligations with the cruise companies. For some it may take a few days, while for other it takes 90 days. I would be patient and message them (or call them) from time to time to get an update on the status

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Also keep in mind. That doing a charge back,dispute could get you blackballed from the cruise line.      
I have a 90 day wait with NCl.    

https://www.elliott.org/blog/do-not-sail-list-banned-from-cruising/

That was a very interesting case, and I do believe the lady was wrong in disputing her FCC with her credit card company.   But that list of what is legal to dispute on your CC also lists "failure to deliver goods/services as promised."  

But I'm still not sure anyone will have success with credit card disputes.  Cruise lines said you would get refund, they just haven't issued it.  I do believe a ban is a possibility but maybe RCL during these times will decide to understand customer positions that they need their money.

I don't plan to sail Royal again.  Based on their current business practice, lack of communication, mis-communication etc it is not a company I want to proceed with.

Then you might consider other forms of vacations as all the mainstream cruise lines are doing the exact same thing...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

Dispute it ASAP.  You tried working it out but still haven’t been reimbursed.  We disputed some airline charges and got a credit back immediately. We tried working it out with the airlines by calling them, but we felt waiting on hold for a short period of time was good enough to satisfy the requirement of working with them. Not our problem they weren’t properly staffed.  No need to jump through hoops as some would like you to believe. 

14 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

20200314_062200.thumb.jpg.f58677f4c80a13247e879df022af03bf.jpg

I'm in the same boat. After I initiated the refund process, I received the same as you show in your picture above.

Seems like there's a lot of broken promises here:

As your picture shows, they said 30 days...not 30 business days.They've broken that promise.

They said they would send a confirmation e mail and they broke that promise...to date I've received nothing. I suspect you've received nothing as well.

They've gone dark...no communication publicly or otherwise indicating reasons for delays in returning $$$ to people.

These are all bad signs...indicative of an organization that is in trouble.

Curiously everything seems to be tied up into waiting until May 1st and shortly thereafter.

I know there are some who say "cut them a break" but those who say that are not going to make you whole if RCC goes under on May1st.

Also, given the pandemic many are unemployed and need the money for food, meds, children, etc. How about cutting these folks a break!

I've taken pains to contact them to ask for monies and I get some version of "its in process" each time I call.

I did my part...and I'm done. Royal has broken the contract.

They have until COB today to issue a refund for my cruise. After that I'll initiate a charge back for failure to deliver services.

11 minutes ago, rustycruzr said:

I'm in the same boat. After I initiated the refund process, I received the same as you show in your picture above.

Seems like there's a lot of broken promises here:

As your picture shows, they said 30 days...not 30 business days.They've broken that promise.

They said they would send a confirmation e mail and they broke that promise...to date I've received nothing. I suspect you've received nothing as well.

They've gone dark...no communication publicly or otherwise indicating reasons for delays in returning $$$ to people.

These are all bad signs...indicative of an organization that is in trouble.

Curiously everything seems to be tied up into waiting until May 1st and shortly thereafter.

I know there are some who say "cut them a break" but those who say that are not going to make you whole if RCC goes under on May1st.

Also, given the pandemic many are unemployed and need the money for food, meds, children, etc. How about cutting these folks a break!

I've taken pains to contact them to ask for monies and I get some version of "its in process" each time I call.

I did my part...and I'm done. Royal has broken the contract.

They have until COB today to issue a refund for my cruise. After that I'll initiate a charge back for failure to deliver services.

Just go online and dispute it now. Do you really think they are going to refund you today?  Why wait any longer. 

FYI, I just received a credit card credit for 1 of my 2 rooms that had a refundable deposit for an August 1 cruise that I cancelled two weeks ago. They are indeed refunding deposits but it is taking time. I’m still waiting for FCC on two other rooms that were non refundable but they state on the web site that it could take 30 days. I did not call them, they just refunded it. Still waiting for room 2 perhaps I’ll get that in the next few days.

mike

Edited by Motorman23