Scam email from fake RCI agent

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

Why not call RC using the number you normally do and verify?  I saw something similar on another site and it mentioned there was additional OBC if the reservation was paid in full (earlier than final payment).  The offer was verified when calling C&A.  

I don't think a second reservation would be mentioned if it's an offer.  This is not how RC system works.  Each reservation is separate and receive different offers.  

Going forward how things worked in the past may be different than present times.  I wouldn't base decisions on how it was pre cruising shutdown. 

If there was an offer to pay off early to get additional OBC...they would have stated that in their come on style email.  Would be a big carrot on a stick for them to do that.  😉  

The second reservation is the first leg of my B2B.  This email was to pay off just the second leg.  Most likely they did not know about the first leg.  

Don't need to call RCI....I will continue to do as I always do, and that is to pay off direct with RCI online.  

But thanks anyway. 🙂   Was simply posting this thread as a head's up to my cruise mates on these boards.  

7 hours ago, PTAngel said:

I always pay close attention to spelling & grammar.  That's a sure sign of fraud. These ppl are not very literate.

That used to be true for most scams, and still is for some, but these people are now VERY sophisticated.  This is a multi-billion dollar business.  Lots of coronavirus related scam messages being sent.  I saw an estimate that phishing is up 70% due to the Coronavirus.  Its easy to cut and paste real logos and use names of real company execs.  People are sending messages from banks, travel related companies, the WHO, or any other organization that may get your attention. 

They often use social engineering and have attachments with names that make people want to open them, e.g. Info about new Coronovirus vaccine.  I even saw a report about a message sent to employees of a company with an attachment that is a tribute to an employee who died.  Morbid curiosity will cause many people to open such an attachment.  The body of the message may use perfect grammar and spelling.  The attachment when opened will often load ransomware.

Definitely be suspicious of messages with poor grammar and spelling, but never open attachments in any message unless it is from someone you know or expect to send a message.

• Like 2