A Ray of Sunshine!

brandy3415

Back in October we were on a cruise with RCI  that included St. Martin/St Maarten.   We have been there many times, but wanted to see something different.  I searched for a tour and came upon the Artist Studio tour given by Seagrape tours.  We did not ask for a private tour but that is what we got.  It was delightful--4 artists homes or studios, a choice of artists that I made when I booked the tour.   One visit was to Dame Ruby Bute, an island artist for many many years.   She is also a poet.  Her colorful prints and originals lined the walls and after looking at them, we made a purchase of some prints and a beautiful mug, which she signed and dated.   I treasured that mug--because of the signing--personally done, not printed, it never got to the dishwasher--strictly by hand.

Two days ago as I cleared the breakfast table the slightly damp mug slipped from my hands and shattered on the floor.   Stunned, sad, mad, a range of emotions.

I knew I wanted to try to replace it --meant a lot to me. When Ruby did not respond on Facebook, I searched online and found My Island Art.  Great site for all kinds of art from lots of the islands--mugs, scarves, prints, coasters, etc at reasonable prices --and shipping from US !Jeff , the owner, turned his love of the islands into his business.   If like me you go places and procrastinate in buying a significant souvenir of the visit, this site is great!

He has the Ruby Bute mugs in stock, unsigned and I bought one of them for now.   Later in the Fall when he goes on his buying trip he will get me a signed one.    Quick, easy and not all that expensive,considering that a memory has no pricetag

I wanted to pass this on as positive experiences, but with tour vendors such as Seagrape, and business don't always end up with the extremely happy endings that I had.   I highly recommend both Seagrape and My Island Art.