Royal files trademark application for "EMUSTER"

Royal Caribbean filed a trademark application today for "EMUSTER". Seems as though they may be trying to move towards electronic muster drills. No information is given beyond the name.

https://uspto.report/TM/88881222

Thoughts on how this will be accomplished? How will compliance be assured?

Personally, I think they'll probably move towards the prerecorded video procedure that is in place on Oasis class ships, except they possibly make everyone watch it in their stateroom.

Edited by Host Carolyn
Clarify filing, wasn't for patent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. Or perhaps they would have a scanner and you would first watch the video in your room, get a code or something, and then walk to the muster station location, scan in with your code and you are done with your drill. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, tarheel3559 said:

Royal Caribbean filed a patent application today for "EMUSTER". Seems as though they may be trying to move towards electronic muster drills. No information is given beyond the name.

https://uspto.report/TM/88881222

Thoughts on how this will be accomplished? How will compliance be assured?

Personally, I think they'll probably move towards the prerecorded video procedure that is in place on Oasis class ships, except they possibly make everyone watch it in their stateroom.

NOT a patent.

A trademark.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

NOT a patent.

A trademark.

Well excuse me, it's been a long week.

Don't think the all caps were necessary, but I'll follow your lead. I'll edit the post to say TRADEMARK.

Either way, doesn't change the discussion.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Interesting. Or perhaps they would have a scanner and you would first watch the video in your room, get a code or something, and then walk to the muster station location, scan in with your code and you are done with your drill. 

That would make more sense.  Watching a video either in your cabin or on your device and then checking in and done.  It could be planned to do it over several hours so that there is not a big line up to check in.  I am sure they would have to do a check in at your muster station so that you know where it is. (SOLAS requirement)  A change like this would probably need to be approved by SOLAS and USCG. 

• Like 3

If this were April 1st and not in the middle of a pandemic I would say royal Caribbean filing for a trademark application for emuster was an April fools joke.

However, watch in your cabin sounds good to me. I'm not sure everyone would do it and would that be enough to pass safety at sea requirements?

And just saying ... I do kind of miss standing on deck in sweltering heat for what seems like forever with my life jacket on. 

1 hour ago, tarheel3559 said:

Royal Caribbean filed a patent application today for "EMUSTER".

We might be reading too much into this.  Maybe it is for a new mascot based on a cute baby ostrich...  😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm changing this to say it's a trademark application which is a complete different entity from a patent. Did patent litigation for 20+ years and it can be confusing.  Basically this just preserves the name EMUSTER for what I'm assuming will be their new muster procedure. Probably be a rash of these coming as the lines roll out their new cruise experience

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

That would make more sense.  Watching a video either in your cabin or on your device and then checking in and done.  It could be planned to do it over several hours so that there is not a big line up to check in.  I am sure they would have to do a check in at your muster station so that you know where it is. (SOLAS requirement)  A change like this would probably need to be approved by SOLAS and USCG. 

Last cruise on NCL we did muster drill in a dining room. That was it, only needed  to scan our S&S cards when entering.

Edited by beerman2

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Last cruise on NCL we did muster drill in a dining room. That was it, only needed  to scan our S&S cards when entering.

But that was a muster station, some Royal ships do it there as well. Freedom for instance.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

NOT a patent.

A trademark.

Tarheel3559, thank you for relaying this information. 

I’m sorry you were e-bullied by one of the MAIN (all caps for effect) reasons more posters don’t participate in this forum.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There is already a map with directions to muster stations inside the door of every cabin and that doesn't meet SOLAS requirements.  I can think of multiple ways muster could be done on cruise ships in the future, but all of them still involve a person physically locating their assigned muster station. 

And if the goal is to physically distance during the muster drill...okay, but that solves one 30 minute chunk of time only. Not saying it isn't worth solving, but there's so many other areas that need to be examined as well. 

25 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

There is already a map with directions to muster stations inside the door of every cabin and that doesn't meet SOLAS requirements.  I can think of multiple ways muster could be done on cruise ships in the future, but all of them still involve a person physically locating their assigned muster station. 

And if the goal is to physically distance during the muster drill...okay, but that solves one 30 minute chunk of time only. Not saying it isn't worth solving, but there's so many other areas that need to be examined as well. 

What's wrong with the map🤔

20191102_083344.thumb.jpg.cd50705b469915d2ebd4f6496f4f9f57.jpg

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What's wrong with the map🤔

20191102_083344.thumb.jpg.cd50705b469915d2ebd4f6496f4f9f57.jpg

If that met SOLAS requirements; nothing; then they could have video musters in the room. I'm saying, directions and map are already there...and still physically locating the station is required. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tascoa said:

Tarheel3559, thank you for relaying this information. 

I’m sorry you were e-bullied by one of the MAIN (all caps for effect) reasons more posters don’t participate in this forum.  

Thanks for saying this, tascoa. I’ve been watching a very select few ruin these boards for years with their holier than though attitudes. It’s such a shame that you can’t make a harmless mistake without someone clamoring to be the first to jump down your throat. My guess is real life just isn’t fulfilling enough for some. 

Glad others notice what I notice. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, maaaaattt said:

Thanks for saying this, tascoa. I’ve been watching a very select few ruin these boards for years with their holier than though attitudes. It’s such a shame that you can’t make a harmless mistake without someone clamoring to be the first to jump down your throat. My guess is real life just isn’t fulfilling enough for some. 

Glad others notice what I notice. 

Well done great reply we’ve also noticed the same thing.

• Like 4