Kidney Dialysis and Cruising

rstackjd

I am very close to having to start dialysis.   I am still debating between HD and PD.    There are pros and cons to each.   We typically cruise at least once per year.   With PD we can take the machine and supplies with us, but It will severely limit our Night times.    I’ve been told that many ships have on board HD facilities.   

Has anyone cruised with either PD or HD.   Are you willing to share your experiences?   I’m really torn at the moment which way to go but will have to decide soon.   FYI I’m 61 and aside from having ***** kidneys am in pretty good shape and very active.  

if you’re not comfortable sharing here, my email is rstackjd@gmail.com 

Thank you 

Bob Stack

You might want to check with the Disabled Cruising forum.  You're more likely to find another dialysis patient there. 

In general, anybody who depends on land-based hemodialysis cannot sail unless it's on one of the Dialysis at Sea cruises.  There is too much risk that the ship has to miss a port where a passenger had scheduled dialysis especially if it is a tender port.  If one has their own dialysis machine or is on peritoneal dialysis it varies by cruise line and itinerary.  One would have to arrange all of the necessary supplies. 

Bob

Before I would book at this time, I would check with the cruise line I'm interested in to see if they would let me onboard given all the new health restrictions that seem to be being put in place. 

I know it's a bummer. Kidney disease became a real presence when planning vacations and even day outings during my marriage.

2 hours ago, rstackjd said:

I am very close to having to start dialysis.   I am still debating between HD and PD.    There are pros and cons to each.   We typically cruise at least once per year.   With PD we can take the machine and supplies with us, but It will severely limit our Night times.    I’ve been told that many ships have on board HD facilities.   

Has anyone cruised with either PD or HD.   Are you willing to share your experiences?   I’m really torn at the moment which way to go but will have to decide soon.   FYI I’m 61 and aside from having ***** kidneys am in pretty good shape and very active.  

if you’re not comfortable sharing here, my email is rstackjd@gmail.com 

Thank you 

Bob Stack

A few ships offer  dialysis   with supervision of a nurse/doctor

Check Dialysis At Sea  program

one of our friends did this  & was pleased that she  got to still cruise  even though a bit more $  than just booking your own cruise

She felt she was in good hands

No ships have dialysis of any kind.  If you're on hemo-dialysis, there is "Dialysis at sea"...where they provide what you need, and do the treatments for you.

With PD, you can certainly have your supplies shipped (it's A LOT of stuff!)...and you will be responsible for bringing the other, smaller items...

Hubby is on "home hemo".....but when we're out of town, he utilizes a dialysis center....just way too much stuff to either bring along or store in a hotel room or small condo.

2 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Hubby is on "home hemo".....but when we're out of town, he utilizes a dialysis center....just way too much stuff to either bring along or store in a hotel room or small condo.

I would be interested in his experiece with home Hemo.   It sounds like a lot less time hooked up to the machine and fewer days a week than PD.   if he can share some thoughts I'd be grateful for an e-mail   rstackjd@gmail.com

thanks