Newbie ? - Best night-before Miami hotel?

EJanss

I'm currently looking at early possibilities for a WTIAO'21 (When This Is All Over '21) cruise, and most of my early picks seem to be departing Miami's port.

I've only had one cruise so far, a Disney departing Port Canaveral, and I've been spoiled by their private MCO -> Canaveral shuttle/luggage service.  

What's the favorite recommendation for a pre-overnight Miami hotel stay with easy access from the airport and/or to the terminal, for those who don't get around much (wheelchair passenger) and would have to rely on public transportation?  Or UberX, if it came to that.

If I end up settling on a departure out of San Diego or New Orleans, I'll save those questions for another post.

There is a board here called North American Homeports.  Under that you will find a very active board, Florida Departures:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

Browse some there, and if you don't see what you want, ask.  If you do change departure ports, there is a section for Gulf Coast Ports, and West Coast Departures.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EJanss said:

Step in the right direction - Thanx.  🙂

Not sure what are your financial means but, in either Miami or San Diego, I'd do the Intercontinental Hotel. It's our default property worldwide because of the value blend of quality, location, service and cost (the last item being true if it's not a holiday and/or convention or local special event time period.

In Miami, the ICH is very close to the port and in San Diego, it's right across the street. Again depending on time and place, we've found ICH rates between $150-200/night (though the same room on the "wrong" day could easily be $700).

On 4/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, EJanss said:

I'm currently looking at early possibilities for a WTIAO'21 (When This Is All Over '21) cruise, and most of my early picks seem to be departing Miami's port.

I've only had one cruise so far, a Disney departing Port Canaveral, and I've been spoiled by their private MCO -> Canaveral shuttle/luggage service.  

What's the favorite recommendation for a pre-overnight Miami hotel stay with easy access from the airport and/or to the terminal, for those who don't get around much (wheelchair passenger) and would have to rely on public transportation?  Or UberX, if it came to that.

If I end up settling on a departure out of San Diego or New Orleans, I'll save those questions for another post.

The closest hotels to the port are the Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, YVR( an older building with small rooms) the Doubletree, and Hilton. The first 3 are almost next to each other on a Biscayne Blvd. The Doubletree and Hilton are just north of Dodge Island on the bay. Bayside Market Place is a short walk from the first three hotels. My preference would be the Intercontinental. All have rooms with views of the port. Prices vary throughout the year. All are a 10 minute drive to the port.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami, which was directly across the street from Bayside Marketplace.  It is a little older hotel but you cannot beat the location if you have a short amount of time.  We arrived on Friday evening so knew that if we had any chance of doing/seeing anything at all we would need to be nearby.  You could walk across the street to Bayside Marketplace and Bayside Park. There are shops, restaurants, and numerous tour boats that can take you on a tour of the little islands with all the millionaire's homes.  The boat we were on had a ramp onto it so they should be able to accommodate a wheelchair.  Check the website's first.  On Saturday morning before the cruise, we walked across the street, bought or boat tickets, ate a quick breakfast, went on the 1.5 hour tour, did a little shopping, before walking back to the hotel and checking out and calling an uber to the port.  You can literally see the cruise ships from the hotel it is that close.  The room we had was a little on the small side, but had a great view and we were only there for 12 hours. I imagine the handicapped accessible rooms would be larger. There are nicer hotels, I'm sure, but it was perfect for a pre-cruise night.  Here is the view from the room first thing in the morning.

20200125_081934.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 9:59 PM, skrufy said:

The closest hotels to the port are the Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, YVR( an older building with small rooms) the Doubletree, and Hilton. The first 3 are almost next to each other on a Biscayne Blvd. The Doubletree and Hilton are just north of Dodge Island on the bay. Bayside Market Place is a short walk from the first three hotels. My preference would be the Intercontinental. All have rooms with views of the port. Prices vary throughout the year. All are a 10 minute drive to the port.

The Guild and Leamington are closer than the Intercontinental.  I think a couple more may be closer.

My preference is The W Hotel at the Icon.  

Lots of posters like Hampton Inn downtown.

Whatever you do, I would not stay out by the airport.

For cruises from Miami it is easy to fly into either MIA or FLL. 

From MIA it is a 15+ minute Uber/Lyft or taxi ride to downtown hotels. In addition to the hotels suggested above there is a new Hyatt in the Mary Brickell area that gets great reviews. All downtown hotels will be about a 10 minute ride to POM.

If you fly into FLL you can UberX to downtown Miami for about $35, or choose to stay in Fort Lauderdale. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info. Uber or Lyft to POM the morning of your cruise will run about $35+ or there are several shared shuttles for about $15 per person.Dr

Good luck with your planning.