Quarantine 15

INeedAMaiTai

Anyone else feel like they are putting weight on while being in quarantine?  I find when I have to work at home, I snack all day.  Luckily I keep having to go into my office.  I'm sad that my gym is closed, but I'm doing my best to do workouts in my garage.  Definitely not the same, but it's something.  And all of the cocktails...good grief!!!!  Ha ha ha.  Stay safe everyone!

Hi @INeedAMaiTai. It can be challenging when you have a schedule change. I've been homeschooling my kids for 6 years, and before that I had a corporate job where I could work from home a couple days a week. I had a harder time with my work from home days than I do now. I think because it was easier to get into a routine being home all the time instead of just a random day here and there. We have a weekly weigh in post every Thursday - feel free to join! It's helped me with accountability. 

41 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

We have a weekly weigh in post every Thursday - feel free to join! It's helped me with accountability. 

I have been a part of it off and on for a few years.  I just wanted to start a new thread for people who maybe felt like they were "walking in in the middle of a conversation" since the weekly weigh in is the only thing really going right now.  I think it's great, just want everyone to feel welcome and that if they didn't feel comfortable being a part of that to be a part of something new.  

Just me bored at work, trying to add a little something. 😉

• Like 2

Thanks for posting INeed 🙂 Sometimes it's nice to have a content specific thread too.

Any and all are welcome to join the weigh-in threads, but I do understand what you mean about "walking in on" a conversation since so many of us are regulars.  We all started somewhere though so I hope others don't feel too awkward jumping in.

I'm probably in the minority that I'm actually eating better and snacking less with everyone at home.  I am doing some "stress baking" and we are definitely doing more weekend drinking than before, but a lot less snacking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've gained an extra 4" around the middle despite never hiking so much. Time to own it and lose it. Thing is the kid is home (hopefully not for good) and he became a great cook at his college apartment.  Makes a gourmet lunch everyday. So I'm going to have to switch to dinner being a smaller meal. 

But please everyone is welcome to join the Thursday's Weigh-In's.  Might be new at first

but know we all will welcome you with open arms.  The weekly weigh's can help you lose

those's stay at home pounds.  The one's that are weighing now are keeping ourselves

from not gaining much, staying the same and even losing while we're staying at home.

Come One Come All

On 6/20/2020 at 5:20 AM, Ombud said:

Yes, I've gained an extra 4" around the middle despite never hiking so much. Time to own it and lose it. Thing is the kid is home (hopefully not for good) and he became a great cook at his college apartment.  Makes a gourmet lunch everyday. So I'm going to have to switch to dinner being a smaller meal. 

I love hiking!  But it also makes me super hungry.  Ah, isn't it great when kids do that sort of stuff?!  My oldest is always baking cookies or cake (and I want to encourage her to be in the kitchen and experiment).  Lunch is my big meal too, even though sometimes dinner is my big meal also!  That's my problem.  And the alcohol.  HAH!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm back. Tried to put on a dress for services and it was way too tight. Help me figure out whats wrong with my plan:

Breakfast: coffee / granola bar / cheese 

Lunch: oatmeal / fruit / water 

Mid day: raw veggies (as much as I want) 

Dinner: salad with lemon or lime drizzle / 600 calorie main dish

I think that's around 1500 calories ..... I have no idea how many calories are in fruit & veggies but I didn't gain bc I ate too many carrots!!

Ombud...It might be your eating to many carbs, Fruits and veggies are good for us but

have lots of carbs. (sugar) Some are better than others. Carrots, peas and corn have the

most carbs.  Oatmeal has lots of carbs too..  Granola bars are full of sugar.

Best fruits to eat are strawberries and other berries. Can eat fruits and veggies but less of them

to lose weight.

Just an idea stick to eggs for breakfast or snacks for awhile, don't eat as many veggies and see if that helps.

Hope we see you on Thursdays again.

I've never owned a scale but I follow that.... just don't post. Thank you for your suggestions. Will switch lunch or breakfast to eggs. That should also help up my protein grams 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:24 PM, Ombud said:

I'm back. Tried to put on a dress for services and it was way too tight. Help me figure out whats wrong with my plan:

Breakfast: coffee / granola bar / cheese 

Lunch: oatmeal / fruit / water 

Mid day: raw veggies (as much as I want) 

Dinner: salad with lemon or lime drizzle / 600 calorie main dish

I think that's around 1500 calories ..... I have no idea how many calories are in fruit & veggies but I didn't gain bc I ate too many carrots!!

Some possible culprits:

swelling from excess salt in cheese (and possibly granola)

bloat from veggies if a sudden increase

excess sugar/fat in granola and possibly fruit

hidden calories in salad toppings, other "accessories" that go on/in our foods.

What has been helping me lately is lots of water (1/2 ounce per 1# of weight, so 80 oz for 160# as an example) - I usually drink over a gallon a day and am under 200.  The water keeps you hydrated and more full feeling - dehydration can be perceived as hunger.

I try to keep my carbs to high fiber vs. high sugar (at least 1 gram fiber for every 10 grams total carb and less grams sugar than fiber).  Most vegetables are fine - especially if they grow above the ground.  Some are carb heavy though - especially if they grow below the ground like carrots, potatoes, beets, etc.  Carrots are right at the edge and probably you can't eat so many as to gain weight - unless you are using a high calorie dip.

Hope that helps some.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:27 PM, Belle said:

Best fruits to eat are strawberries and other berries. Can eat fruits and veggies but less of them to lose weight.

I thought berries were higher in calories!!! I thought wrong. What about nectarines & plucots? Those are free-to-me. Do to recent financial problems I need to primarily eat out of the yard. 

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

hidden calories in salad toppings, other "accessories" that go on/in our foods.

What has been helping me lately is lots of water (1/2 ounce per 1# of weight, so 80 oz for 160# as an example)

okay .... I'll try the 1/2 oz per lb water. But that's a lot for me. 

I have to find a lower caloric salad dressing. I had forgotten about that. And learn to eat without added salt. He's gone for 2 weeks so that gives me 2 weeks as a jump start. 

Thank you both!!

Edited by Ombud

I think berries are a lower glycemic index and possibly less calories per serving, but a serving can be tricky.  Stone fruits are generally higher sugar/higher calorie but I understand needing to balance finances and nutrition.  The nectarines and pluots are probably better than bananas, just recognize you don't need to eat a lot of them.

Homemade dressings often are cheaper and taste better: a little oil & vinegar with some seasonings, a splash of lemon or lime juice, greek yogurt thinned with water and add some seasonings for a ranch.

For the water, try gradually increasing.  I use an insulated tumbler with a straw that makes it very easy to sip throughout the day.  Increasing fluid will increase your step count too as you make more trips to the bathroom 😉 

A few more general thoughts about nutrition:

food should be fuel for your body, not something to fill an emotional void

nothing wrong with enjoying occasional treats, but be deliberate about them

3 major types of food/calorie sources - fat, carb, and protein.  I think it is 9 cal per fat gram and 4 cal for carbs & proteins, so all things being equal need to watch fat intake (Keto is an exception, but that is a whole other discussion)

carbs are your energy source and generally you don't wan't them before bed since you don't need much energy to sleep 🙂 

protein is for muscle building and repair, many plans aim for around 20 grams of protein per meal

fats and sugars help things taste good and are necessary in small amounts, but are also present in many ways we don't even realize

fiber and water will help get you full, protein will help keep you full

sugars will often stimulate hunger cues

• Thanks 1