Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sissy2000

Overnight in Quebec

Recommended Posts

We are doing a Canada/New England cruise that starts in Quebec and is there overnight.  I am having a hard time finding out what time we need to be on the ship the first night.  We are wanting to do some sightseeing that day and are not sure when we need to get back.  Also, can we drop our luggage off that morning but not board till later?  I appreciate any information someone who has done this cruise could give me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sissy2000 said:

We are doing a Canada/New England cruise that starts in Quebec and is there overnight.  I am having a hard time finding out what time we need to be on the ship the first night.  We are wanting to do some sightseeing that day and are not sure when we need to get back.  Also, can we drop our luggage off that morning but not board till later?  I appreciate any information someone who has done this cruise could give me.

Where are you flying in from and what time do you land? We did this trip YQB to FLL last October. Flew out of  IAH at 6am (left house at 3:30 am, landed in EWR at 10:30, left EWR at 1:25 pm, landed in YQB @ 3:15. After immigrations and customs boarded PCL transfer to ship, finally arrived around 5:30. We were too pooped to do anything the first night. The next day (sail away day) we did an excursion which encompassed most of the day. After we cleared customs we passed the luggage off to PCL transfer and it was delivered to our room later that evening. 

Hope you enjoy, we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In August 2019 we arrived at the pier around 10:30 on day one, dropped our luggage and then waited to board. It wasn't long before we were on board the Caribbean Princess. With the medallion ship boarding went fairly quickly. We were able to drop our carry on in the cabin. After some lunch we exited the ship for some sightseeing of the lower town. Passengers were boarding all day and evening on day one and some even boarded on day two. The gangplank was open all night between day one and two.

If you are scheduled to sail in 2020, and the ship actually sails, post COVID-19 procedures probably will alter the above timing, boarding, exit and re-entry processes. If you are booked on a 2021 sailing, post the hopeful vaccine, procedures could change again.

Edited by skynight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sissy2000,

 

You are right, that information is nowhere to be found online.  We were also scheduled to do this trip (before the virus) and were able to contact Princess for an answer.  We were told that we could arrive at the ship as late as 11 p.m.  

 

Not sure what your travel plans are but this is what we did a few years ago.  A flight into Montreal was significantly less than flying into Quebec, so we flew into Montreal and picked up a Hertz rental car.  We spent the night on the east side of Montreal as our flight arrived early evening.  The drive to Quebec was pretty and only took us about 2.5 hours.  Having a rental car allowed us to go out to the Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and Montmorency Waterfalls on the day of our arrival.  There is a Hertz rental car office in the city, not far from the cruise port. We planned to turn the car in there and catch a cab but the office manager took us down and even gave us a little tour on the way.

 

If we do make the cruise this year (22 Oct) we will fly into Portland, ME, and drive up to Quebec.  The plan is to visit the old Limestone, ME Air Force Base where my wife lived for a time as a child on the way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for the information--that is exactly what I was looking for!  Now just keeping our fingers crossed that things settle down enough that we are comfortable going on this cruise.  I realize that procedures may change (probably will) but this gives me something to start with.  Retired_Army, you have also given me some ideas about sightseeing along the way.  My husband and I retire in June and I am not used to having the leisure to "add on" to a trip yet 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sissy2000 said:

Thank you so much for the information--that is exactly what I was looking for!  Now just keeping our fingers crossed that things settle down enough that we are comfortable going on this cruise.  I realize that procedures may change (probably will) but this gives me something to start with.  Retired_Army, you have also given me some ideas about sightseeing along the way.  My husband and I retire in June and I am not used to having the leisure to "add on" to a trip yet 🙂 

FYI, the places Retired_Army mentioned (Ste. Anne de Beaupre) and Montmorency Falls are about 15 min. east of Quebec City so not on the way from Montreal to QC.  We visited them when our cruise ship did an overnite stop at QC a few years ago.  Well worth a visit if it works out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We are booked on Sep 2 2020 from New York to Quebec. The Oct 2 Quebec to New York would allow a month for Covid-19 to settle down, so this is an interesting thread.  Any suggestions for hotel in Quebec, we might prefer to arrive on Oct 1 since flights  to Quebec would be red eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we did an overnight in Quebec, we flew in the day before and spent one night in a hotel. We had a beautiful afternoon and evening exploring the upper part of the old city. The next morning right before lunch, we boarded the ship. It was a rainy day, and we did not go back out that day. The next morning, we had plenty of time to explore the lower part of the old city. We still made it back to the ship for lunch and sailaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I asked the same question since i considered flying in the day the cruise started. They also said I had to arrive the first day.

 

When i did Quebec to NY I flew in the night before and spent the night in a hotel. The next day before boarding I spent the day in a national or provincial park north of the city. Great day. Dropped rental car off in the city and they also transferred me to the port.

 

I am never in a rush to board the ship the first day. Usually so much to see in the port city.

 

Edited by frugaltravel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Not being a pessimist, but being realistic.

If these cruises are sailing between Quebec and

NYC, do you think that they will actually happen ?

     NYC continues to report cases of Covid-19 and deaths due to the virus on a daily basis. While the numbers have begun to decrease it is due to social distancing,wearing masks in public and stay at home order. No one knows when these protocols will be lifted.

    Canada has closed borders. I am not certain when they will reopen.

     It seems that posters here are optimistically planning for such a cruise this Fall. That is understandable, but if it was me, I would make a contingency plan if these Canada/New England cruises are cancelled.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MJSailors said:

        It seems that posters here are optimistically planning for such a cruise this Fall. That is understandable, but if it was me, I would make a contingency plan if these Canada/New England cruises are cancelled.

 

Agree and looking at contingencies. Final Payment is July 4 for Sep 02, Not hopeful. Oct 2 gives a further month, so nothing to lose by considering that date. Two months to Final Payment and if things are greatly improved then a further month delay might be viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You can arrive anytime before the ships sails but allow for the muster drill. We have done this cruise six  times and are scheduled to go in Oct next year. My husband writes port guides as a hobby and has extensive info about all the ports  from Quebec to New York. For people wondering about weather,  I strongly advise that you include some warm cl thing with a head covering and gloves. The weather can be anywhere from hot to snowy at this time of year.  We have also missed ports because of hurricanes twice. This time we are sailing all the way to Ft Lauderdale. Charleston and Sete Iles will be new. We go for the chowder not the fall color as we live in a forest and Tom is still trying to get rid of leaves from last year. Another hint - plan to get out of Sydney. The Bra dor area and the Cabot Trail are gorgeous. His blog is www.Tomsportguides.com. They are very highly detailed and are FREE.

 

Edited by r2d2inltd2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, r2d2inltd2 said:

You can arrive anytime before the ships sails but allow for the muster drill. We have done this cruise six  times and are scheduled to go in Oct next year. My husband writes port guides as a hobby and has extensive info about all the ports  from Quebec to New York. For people wondering about weather,  I strongly advise that you include some warm cl thing with a head covering and gloves. The weather can be anywhere from hot to snowy at this time of year.  We have also missed ports because of hurricanes twice. This time we are sailing all the way to Ft Lauderdale. Charleston and Sete Iles will be new. We go for the chowder not the fall color as we live in a forest and Tom is still trying to get rid of leaves from last year. Another hint - plan to get out of Sydney. The Bra dor area and the Cabot Trail are gorgeous. His blog is www.Tomsportguides.com. They are very highly detailed and are FREE.

 

W e have used Tom's Guides many times and actually met you,  I think on Panama cruise. Do you repeat this itinerary because it is close to home or because it is so great ? I have wondered about Hurricanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having done this cruise however I have been to Quebec City as part of vacations and road trips several times. Quebec City is so charming and it is a location that is definitely worth your time to explore. Several of the destinations mentioned above, the church St Anne de Beupre and Montmorency Falls are east of the city. Not sure how you would get there without a car. There is also a park with walkways and gorges although fairly steep climbs that is not far past the church. Cannot come up with the name beyond Chutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 4:50 AM, Retired_Army said:

sissy2000,

 

You are right, that information is nowhere to be found online.  We were also scheduled to do this trip (before the virus) and were able to contact Princess for an answer.  We were told that we could arrive at the ship as late as 11 p.m.  

 

Not sure what your travel plans are but this is what we did a few years ago.  A flight into Montreal was significantly less than flying into Quebec, so we flew into Montreal and picked up a Hertz rental car.  We spent the night on the east side of Montreal as our flight arrived early evening.  The drive to Quebec was pretty and only took us about 2.5 hours.  Having a rental car allowed us to go out to the Basilica of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré and Montmorency Waterfalls on the day of our arrival.  There is a Hertz rental car office in the city, not far from the cruise port. We planned to turn the car in there and catch a cab but the office manager took us down and even gave us a little tour on the way.

 

If we do make the cruise this year (22 Oct) we will fly into Portland, ME, and drive up to Quebec.  The plan is to visit the old Limestone, ME Air Force Base where my wife lived for a time as a child on the way 

That is a lot of driving.  I grew up in Portland and went to school in Orono which is 2 1/2 hours north of Portland, Limestone I think is another 3-4 hours north and then it is quite a hike to Quebec City, which happens to be one of my favorite cities in North America

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, r2d2inltd2 said:

You can arrive anytime before the ships sails but allow for the muster drill. We have done this cruise six  times and are scheduled to go in Oct next year. My husband writes port guides as a hobby and has extensive info about all the ports  from Quebec to New York.

 

 

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

W e have used Tom's Guides many times

 

And we also appreciate the port guides that Tom has written and made available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

 Several of the destinations mentioned above, the church St Anne de Beupre and Montmorency Falls are east of the city. Not sure how you would get there without a car. 

My first cruise from Quebec we visited the falls using public transportation. Very easy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frugaltravel said:

My first cruise from Quebec we visited the falls using public transportation. Very easy.

 

Post cruise, we did the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did this a few years ago, we flew into Montreal the day before and stayed there, we got the train from Montreal to Quebec and it was a very relaxing trip with some lovely views.

 

We got to the ship, checked in and then went straight back out, the muster drill was the following day before we sailed, we did speak with a couple who had just come on that day which they had agreed with the cruiseline in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to fly into Montreal for two nights then take train to Quebec City on boarding day.  Seems easier than dealing with rental car.   Assuming of course the cruise actually sails on Sept 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...