Should I cancel or wait

Good morning. I’m asking for the help of others without judgment please. We currently have a cruise booked leaving November 1. I did purchase the travel insurance that allows me to cancel for any reason and get 75% refunded. At this point I have only paid the non refundable deposit. If we know we do not want to go (I am a cancer patient so high risk with weak immune system) should we go ahead and cancel and get the 75% refunded or hold off and see if Royal cancels? Please don’t comment that I’m being greedy or please don’t comment that this is a small amount of money compared to what others are losing because you don’t know people situations. I’m just asking for opinions on my question. I sincerely appreciate anyone that’s willing to help. We had 3 vacations booked this year and we’ve had several things canceled by the vendors that we are trying to get refunded at this point. I know this is exhausting for everyone. 

You are before final payment by a long ways.  At this point it’s only your deposit.  You can move that to another date and face a $100pp fee or wait until Roysl extends the Cruise with confidence and move the whole deposit for no charge. 

you would end up having to make final payment in order to take advantage of Royal cancelling.

if you have paid in full and decide to cancel then 100% will be refunded to you except the deposit. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Threedragons said:

If we know we do not want to go should we go ahead and cancel and get the 75% refunded or hold off and see if Royal cancels?

You'd have to make final payment and hope RCI cancels to get all your money back - cancel now.

• Like 3

I have a 11/15 cruise booked on Oasis with a NR deposit and 3rd party insurance.  The deposit was $450 each and since I figured I had just about anything covered with the insurance I wasn't worried that it was NR.

I got a rock bottom,(at the time- last November), price on a guaranteed balcony - $560, so I have very little extra I have to pay when final payment is due in August.  That is a long way off, so for now I will just sit an wait to see what happens over the summer.

I personally don't think cruises are going out this year, so I'm willing to take a chance, have the cruise canceled, and opt for a refund.

So many things could happen and unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball.

I guess it really depends on how much you have invested in deposits and the final payment amount - and only you can determine if you are willing to gamble or not.

Where does your cruise sail?  I think cruises in Europe are more likely to get cancelled than those to the Bahamas or Caribbean. If you would have to make a large final payment in order to take the chance on RCI cancelling, then you're probably wise to cancel now and take 75%.

We have a Transatlantic cruise in November that I’m expecting RCI will cancel, so we’ll hold out until then. (We want a refund and not a future cruise credit.) However, it’s an  inexpensive cruise, and the final payment amount that is due is minimal. 

44 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You are before final payment by a long ways.  At this point it’s only your deposit.  You can move that to another date and face a $100pp fee or wait until Roysl extends the Cruise with confidence and move the whole deposit for no charge. 

you would end up having to make final payment in order to take advantage of Royal cancelling.

if you have paid in full and decide to cancel then 100% will be refunded to you except the deposit. 

So if they extend the cruise with confidence before my final payment is due could I change the date to sometime in 2021, move the deposit to the new date and then not have to pay the final payment until 90 days before the new cruise date? 

26 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Where does your cruise sail?  I think cruises in Europe are more likely to get cancelled than those to the Bahamas or Caribbean. If you would have to make a large final payment in order to take the chance on RCI cancelling, then you're probably wise to cancel now and take 75%.

We have a Transatlantic cruise in November that I’m expecting RCI will cancel, so we’ll hold out until then. (We want a refund and not a future cruise credit.) However, it’s an  inexpensive cruise, and the final payment amount that is due is minimal. 

Our cruise leaves from Orlando and goes to the western Caribbean. My worst fear is a fall relapse of covid and being stranded somewhere. 

31 minutes ago, mek said:

I have a 11/15 cruise booked on Oasis with a NR deposit and 3rd party insurance.  The deposit was $450 each and since I figured I had just about anything covered with the insurance I wasn't worried that it was NR.

I got a rock bottom,(at the time- last November), price on a guaranteed balcony - $560, so I have very little extra I have to pay when final payment is due in August.  That is a long way off, so for now I will just sit an wait to see what happens over the summer.

I personally don't think cruises are going out this year, so I'm willing to take a chance, have the cruise canceled, and opt for a refund.

So many things could happen and unfortunately I don't have a crystal ball.

I guess it really depends on how much you have invested in deposits and the final payment amount - and only you can determine if you are willing to gamble or not.

Wow you got a great deal! Our final payment will still be over $1600. There’s just so much unknown right now and I feel for these companies but I also understand from the consumer side that we need clarification too. 

8 minutes ago, Threedragons said:

So if they extend the cruise with confidence before my final payment is due could I change the date to sometime in 2021, move the deposit to the new date and then not have to pay the final payment until 90 days before the new cruise date? 

Correct

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Have you made final payment or just paid the deposit.  If you have only made the deposit but the insurance has only been added to the reservation and not specifically paid for then you don’t have the insurance (assuming you are talking about Royals insurance)

At this point just the deposit and the insurance have been paid for. Are elected to pay for the insurance upfront due to the fact that I never had health concerns. The insurance is through Aon but I did purchase through Royal. I have now asked the question three times if the nonrefundable deposit is covered and was told yes so I’m hoping that is correct.

5 minutes ago, Threedragons said:

At this point just the deposit and the insurance have been paid for. Are elected to pay for the insurance upfront due to the fact that I never had health concerns. The insurance is through Aon but I did purchase through Royal. I have now asked the question three times if the nonrefundable deposit is covered and was told yes so I’m hoping that is correct.

Yes it would be covered under cancel for any reason.

If you wait until Royal extends their CWC policy you will be able to move the insurance to the new sailing

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes it would be covered under cancel for any reason.

If you wait until Royal extends their CWC policy you will be able to move the insurance to the new sailing

I assume you think it will get extended?  I'm guessing it may end up getting extended throughout the rest of the year, but not all at once

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I assume you think it will get extended?  I'm guessing it may end up getting extended throughout the rest of the year, but not all at once

I would think so.  I think that the next extension might take it to the end of the year.  They extended the last time for 2 months.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would think so.  I think that the next extension might take it to the end of the year.  They extended the last time for 2 months.

Any crystal ball idea when it might be extended beyond Sept 1.  I cruise Sept 6.

1 hour ago, Threedragons said:

Wow you got a great deal! Our final payment will still be over $1600. There’s just so much unknown right now and I feel for these companies but I also understand from the consumer side that we need clarification too. 

How much was your deposit?

Just now, Threedragons said:

It was $500 for 2 of us. 

So you have less to lose than I do, but still who wants to lose anything?  Keeping my fingers crossed that something may change by August, (which for me is an effective treatment),  but it's totally out of my hands so I'm not going to worry about it. because that won't change anything.

3 hours ago, Threedragons said:

Our cruise leaves from Orlando and goes to the western Caribbean. My worst fear is a fall relapse of covid and being stranded somewhere. 

I think we're on your cruise also if it's the Harmony.  I'm going to wait until closer to final payment  to decide.  By the final payment time, if the ships still aren't sailing, they likely/hopefully will have the cruise with confidence policy extended for Nov so we can just move it to late 21 or even 22.  Wondering about another outbreak in the fall also.. ugh.

We're ready to cancel any cruise and lose our deposit if we aren't comfortable with the situation.  

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 1