Unused FCC

cltnccruisers

We rebooked our cancelled April family cruise to December.  The 150% FCC will more than cover the cruise fare, leaving each of the 6 of us with excess FCC.  The Princess FAQ indicates that it can be used only for future cruise fare.  I've heard that for this situation we're in it can be used for onboard purchase, excursions, etc.  I've not been able to find anything supporting that on their website and have emailed Princess but no response yet.  Does anyone have anything definitive on this?

The only truly definitive answer will come after people start cruising again and attempt to use FCC as something else.

As for past allowable usage: just towards cruise fare only. No taxes, fees, OBC, cash etc. I do not see any verbiage from Princess indicating that this may change for the current FCCs, but hey, things change all the time.

• Thanks 1

Princess has granted you a clearly defined "benefit".  This is a case of "caveat emptor". There is no way I would have taken their inflated FCC over a cash refund. A full cash refund - plus anything or even plus nothing - is far more valuable than an inflated FCC.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Princess has granted you a clearly defined "benefit".  This is a case of "caveat emptor". There is no way I would have taken their inflated FCC over a cash refund. A full cash refund - plus anything or even plus nothing - is far more valuable than an inflated FCC.

Had it only been my decision I'd have taken the refund.  But it wasn't so we'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, Tak8 said:

Is there enough to upgrade your cabin?  If you think you might lose it, why not upgrade yourself if possible.

That is certainly something we have discussed.   We are going from 2 minisuites with 3 each to 3 balconies with 7 split across.  The original 6 will all have extra FCC while the boyfriend we picked up is on his own dime.  We may end up going the upgrade route but I think we'll wait until August to give this mess time to settle down.

5 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I can not definitively answer the question, but did ask it to a princess rep and she said that I could not use it against onboard expenses.

Here is a link that says that you can apply the unused FCC against a second cruise.  Sorry, that is all I can find.

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

Thanks.  That matches what I knew.  I'm beginning to think either the commenter who claimed it could be done or the Princess rep who told him it was is full of.........

It must be the rep because I don't think I'm full of... I shared what I had been told by the rep I spoke to that day because I specifically asked about using my FCC. I also said I hadn't tried to use it yet. This might be why a lot of people browse these forums and don't comment. It's rather a rude comment, IMO. Best of luck to you.

23 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Thanks.  That matches what I knew.  I'm beginning to think either the commenter who claimed it could be done or the Princess rep who told him it was is full of.........

3 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

It must be the rep because I don't think I'm full of... I shared what I had been told by the rep I spoke to that day because I specifically asked about using my FCC. I also said I hadn't tried to use it yet. This might be why a lot of people browse these forums and don't comment. It's rather a rude comment, IMO. Best of luck to you.

It was and I apologize.  It was really out of character.

I spoke with a rep a few days ago and was told FCC could be used for cruise fare, port taxes and fees, but  NOT for any onboard expenses, excursions and such. I was told that in the past the FCC could not be used for port taxes and fees but if you have FCC secondary to cancelations from Covid 19 you could use for port taxes and fees. I hope this help, but I have had more than 1 experience where a rep from Princess told me one thing only to find out that this is not in fact the case. Hoping the info is correct. 

The real question is not where we can use the FCC or use the balance in the FCC but rather will we want to take a cruise, have the itineraries changed, and will we want to even book or take a second cruise is we have left over FCC.  Plus....will there be better offers from other similar cruise lines/ships that we would take IF our choice was not limited to this one cruise line?  And in the given time line restrictions of the FCC.

4 hours ago, iancal said:

The real question is not where we can use the FCC or use the balance in the FCC but rather will we want to take a cruise, have the itineraries changed, and will we want to even book or take a second cruise is we have left over FCC.  Plus....will there be better offers from other similar cruise lines/ships that we would take IF our choice was not limited to this one cruise line?  And in the given time line restrictions of the FCC.

We don't normally use Princess.  We booked our original April cruise as a present for our daughters and granddaughters.  It was the first cruise for all but one.  My wife and I cruise often enough but the others may never go again.  So the 150% was incentive enough to give a rebook a try.  After adding a boyfriend we were able to shift everyone to 3 mini-suites with Princess Plus.  This used about 90% of the FCC that had been spread across 6 of us.  What's left will likely never get used.  Were it just up to me back in March I'd have taken Option 2 for the refund.  But it wasn't and as long as we actually sail in December we're fine with what we have.

BTW, as I mentioned on another thread the Princess Reps have been head and shoulders above any others we have used.  Enough so that we may use Princess again because of them.

I have to agree.  We had a move over offer from Princess several years ago.  Our on line TA arranged a concal between us, her, and Princess.  Princess laid out the offer for us on that call and followed up with a written offer within an hour.   Refund happened as promised, compensation for cancelled air expense happened with 14 days of submission, and the rebooking of the free cruise, with upgrade, happened without a hitch.  

Each time we had a question, the reps had an answer and the answers always proved to be correct.  We are not loyal to any one cruise line and we have cruised on numerous lines.  So far, Princess reps and Princess back office service would rank at the very top of our interactions with cruise lines.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, tert333 said:

I can not definitively answer the question, but did ask it to a princess rep and she said that I could not use it against onboard expenses.

Here is a link that says that you can apply the unused FCC against a second cruise.  Sorry, that is all I can find.

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

That's what I was also told by the Princess rep that I talked to.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, cltnccruisers said:

Thank you cltnccruisers. I appreciate your apology. I would never have said anything in "real life".  I'm sure after seeing all these responses that the rep I talked to told me wrong, but I will still try booking excursions and see what happens. I took her name, time, date, etc. We had a 28 day cruise and have rescheduled a similar/better cruise for September.... I think the chances of us going on that cruise may be slim at this time, but there are tons of excursions I want to do and if Princess won't let me use FCC I will probably book with a local tour instead, whatever the best deal is. If I can use FCC most excursions will be with the cruise line. Otherwise there are other cruises I'd like to do so I guess it will apply there. I do hope your cruise goes well.

Edited by back to the islands

48 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

Thank you cltnccruisers. I appreciate your apology. I would never have said anything in "real life".  I'm sure after seeing all these responses that the rep I talked to told me wrong, but I will still try booking excursions and see what happens. I took her name, time, date, etc. We had a 28 day cruise and have rescheduled a similar/better cruise for September.... I think the chances of us going on that cruise may be slim at this time, but there are tons of excursions I want to do and if Princess won't let me use FCC I will probably book with a local tour instead, whatever the best deal is. If I can use FCC most excursions will be with the cruise line. Otherwise there are other cruises I'd like to do so I guess it will apply there. I do hope your cruise goes well.

🙂This is still a pretty fluid situation so miscommunication and misunderstandings are bound to happen.  We were able to use about 90% of the FCC for the 6 of us.  Wasn't easy as we added a boyfriend as a 7th and had to upgrade to mini-suites, keeping them as close together as we could.  We've sailed with Princess, NCL, RCCL and X and I have to say the Princess Reps we worked with on this have been head and shoulders above the rest.  Not to mention that we never waited on hold more that a couple of minutes.  That might have been dumb luck but Princess should be proud of their Reps IMHO.

Good luck with your excursions and please let us know how it works out.  For our part, one daughter and one granddaughter have a few hundred in FCC left.  We'll try to use it onboard for dinners if we can but if we can't it's not a huge hit.🙂

Edited by cltnccruisers
I hate incomplete sentences.