Diabetes

geckoaz

Ok i have diabetes. If cruise directors can cruise with diabetes, will i be able to cruise. Whether i can cruise is an Issue hanging over my oct 2020 and may 2021 cruises. I really wish this would get resolved.  I know the stats about deaths but older diabetics have other health issues. I have been lucky so far to just have diabetes. I am platinum on carnival and no issues.  I think cruising should be my choice. Are there other diabetics in the same situation?

Maybe ask you doctor first what he thinks before the ones here who only play doctor??

You may think you only have Diabetes but studies show that there is silent heart disease, kidney disease and vascular disease in many who "only" have Diabetes. There are issues with obesity in Diabetics and then issues with medications that can cause things. (I play a doctor at work sometimes). So as you can see "only diabetes is relative.

But I am sure in general terms you are in cruise shape - 

Plus who knows what will be happening Oct 2020 and May 2021. 

38 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Ok i have diabetes. If cruise directors can cruise with diabetes, will i be able to cruise. Whether i can cruise is an Issue hanging over my oct 2020 and may 2021 cruises. I really wish this would get resolved.  I know the stats about deaths but older diabetics have other health issues. I have been lucky so far to just have diabetes. I am platinum on carnival and no issues.  I think cruising should be my choice. Are there other diabetics in the same situation?

I have T2 diabetes myself.   We have a cruise for August 15th....we are going.   I am healthy and not concerned.     

I have the same issue and worry. As you know a diabetic can have a heart attack or other medical situation at almost any time so cruising would not make that more likely. Your survival could be reduced on a cruise due to the lack of adequate care. In this current crisis the diabetic issue was related to the Wuhan infection. Hopefully this will be contained soon. I suspect Carnival will not want to forbid diabetics since it is a large percentages of potential passengers unless the CDC orders.  I have a cruise planned for July if it sails my family will have to make the decision if it worth the risk. Thankfully the price has gone down so much, we can walk away if we feel it is not safe. 

Rumor has it there is a health questionnaire and it asks about diabetes. Since carnival isnt cruising who knows if you have to answer the questions truthfully, but if there are sharps containers, it might not be allowed. I'd call carnival or ask john on his page.

From a different perspective I feel that a lot of these questions they were asking in the past aren't because condition x,y,z makes you in a higher risk group to cruise, but is a more medication related question. 

They are probably more worried about insulin dependent diabetics. Due to insulin stability, the fact you should never share pens/vials between patients and the amount of different insulin available the medical center cannot reasonably be expected to store/carry enough if something happens. 

If someone were to check that box, but then note I have X# (anything more than 1 in truth) vials/pens of my medication that will last for 28+ days if needed I cannot see a cruise line having a problem. The issue is probably more related to someone who takes 40 units at bedtime, and has brought 1 pen with them or 7.5 days worth. If something goes wrong on the cruise, then well that person is screwed. But if they brought a brand new box of pens of 35 days worth.. well that is a whole different ballgame IMO.

I could easily be wrong, but it isn't about WHAT condition someone has in boarding, it's more about making sure if someone has a medical condition that has a life sustaining medication that those passengers are prepared in case of emergencies. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rumor has it there is a health questionnaire and it asks about diabetes. Since carnival isnt cruising who knows if you have to answer the questions truthfully, but if there are sharps containers, it might not be allowed. I'd call carnival or ask john on his page.

not sure what you mean, Many diabetics cruise. there are sharps containers in all the restrooms. I think they will put one in your cabin, no problem. Before Covid, diabetes was a none issue. 

38 minutes ago, coevan said:

not sure what you mean, Many diabetics cruise. there are sharps containers in all the restrooms. I think they will put one in your cabin, no problem. Before Covid, diabetes was a none issue. 

Yes, but it’s no longer “before COVID-19.” Hence the question. 

Princess has an april 15 health advisory that states you cannot sail if you have a chronic underlying health condition. Diabetes is one such condition. So if it is an absolute why dont they list it on all carnival sailings and spare us the worry?

3 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

Princess has an april 15 health advisory that states you cannot sail if you have a chronic underlying health condition. Diabetes is one such condition. So if it is an absolute why dont they list it on all carnival sailings and spare us the worry?

then that may rule out a lot of people

Many people have underlying health problems   but just what ones will get you  banned from cruising  is another  thing 

Until the cruise lines  put something in writing   no one really knows  who will be able to sail

JMO

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

then that may rule out a lot of people

Many people have underlying health problems   but just what ones will get you  banned from cruising  is another  thing 

Until the cruise lines  put something in writing   no one really knows  who will be able to sail

JMO

I have 9 serious medical issues but so far none of them are on the list of health problems that would not allow me to cruise if I so desired.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have 9 serious medical issues but so far none of them are on the list of health problems that would not allow me to cruise if I so desired.

What list is that ??

So far I have not seen any list   for conditions   after Covid 19  that would not allow people to cruise

Stories about cruiseline restriction are out there

"Additionally, all guests, regardless of age, will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, such as chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Written health verification forms are available for download from Royal Caribbean’s website and Celebrity Cruises’ website. "

I do not know if it will change but would like to know before i put thousands down on cruises.

:

Royal now says

We know that our 70+ guests and those with chronic conditions are especially eager to understand what cruising will look like in the future. While subject to change, via the Cruise Lines International Association, we have confirmed that the previous restrictions were lifted in early April after cruise lines suspended service. Please know that every decision we make, and all of the fine-tuning we do, has your well-being in mind. We miss you – and can’t wait to welcome you back onboard.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We got a text this morning from a news service with a list.

Care to share ?

Was it from the cruise line  & if so what line ?

like I said I have not seen a list  for restriction for post COVID 19 sailings

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Care to share ?

Was it from the cruise line  & if so what line ?

like I said I have not seen a list  for restriction for post COVID 19 sailings

It was from a News service.I cannot recall which one because I get so many every day but it was the same diseases as mentioned 4 posts above this one.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 6:58 PM, geckoaz said:

Stories about cruiseline restriction are out there

"Additionally, all guests, regardless of age, will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, such as chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Written health verification forms are available for download from Royal Caribbean’s website and Celebrity Cruises’ website. "

I do not know if it will change but would like to know before i put thousands down on cruises.

:

This was reversed/removed/modified/eliminated or whatever you want to call it on April 7th by CLIA.  The individual cruise lines are a little slow removing.  I believe they have all now removed.  But if you read the passenger contract with any cruise line, there is a paragraph which states you may be denied boarding if you are determined not fit to cruise.  This has been there for many years.