Cruise Critic Community
Old Sea Dog

June cruises cancelled

For those affected this morning in the early hours Crystal cancelled all June Sailings

Presumably therefore, in a months time they will be cancelling all of the Med. July sailings ... some of which are shown as ‘Call for Availability’?

Our cruise is due late September and our TA has spoken to Crystal who intimate that as of two days ago, our optimal cancellation date is before 15 June. Since that conversation they have cancelled those June sailings. 
I will be speaking again in June to see if the cancellation options have changed.

35 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Our cruise is due late September and our TA has spoken to Crystal who intimate that as of two days ago, our optimal cancellation date is before 15 June

Yes - it looks like they are cancelling a month at a time - which allows them to manage the flow of processing credits an refunds - but is a bit tough on those waiting for the cancellation by Crystal to request a refund or gain a 125% FCC - but I can't see that changing going forward unless Crystal find funds become available to fund the process at a greater rate

Looks like whoever is advising you is referring to the Crystal Confidence policy

Details are at https://www.crystalcruises.com.au/corona-virus-health-advisory/crystal-confidence-policy

Basically if you choose to cancel as opposed to Crystal and you do so with more than 90 days notice you are entitled to 100% back in cash less the non refundable deposit component which is outlined on your booking confirmation which will be applied as a FCC (the refund will take up to 90 days from the date you cancel)

1 hour ago, Old Sea Dog said:

For those affected this morning in the early hours Crystal cancelled all June Sailings

Interesting there is nothing about this on the announcements section of the Crystal website yet

I don't doubt you as its a day or two overdue given it's almost June

I assume you have been notified of the formal cancellation by your TA - I assume Crystal will formalise it with an announcement on their website in the next 24 hours

31 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Interesting there is nothing about this on the announcements section of the Crystal website yet

I don't doubt you as its a day or two overdue given it's almost June

I assume you have been notified of the formal cancellation by your TA - I assume Crystal will formalise it with an announcement on their website in the next 24 hours

Had an email from Crystal this morning announcing the cancellation. I didn't even look at the time it was sent. Have sent an email to my travel agent as I assume she got notice too. She's on Pacific time, so not yet 6 AM there, so I'll hear in a number of hours. OK, looks like July 27th is the drop dead 90 day time frame!! 😜

Patty

The June cancellations have been on the Crystal site under their Advisory updates since April 22.

1 minute ago, Benita said:

The June cancellations have been on the Crystal site under their Advisory updates since April 22.

Yes - that’s correct for the River cruises - but there’s nothing there on the June Ocean cruises at this point  

Just now, Stickman1990 said:

Yes - that’s correct for the River cruises - but there’s nothing there on the June Ocean cruises at this point  

Hi Stickman1990 & Benita

Formal notification was issued for Ocean Cruises in the early hours of this morning UK time direct from Crystal for those of us booked on June departures 

Roy

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Presumably therefore, in a months time they will be cancelling all of the Med. July sailings ... some of which are shown as ‘Call for Availability’?

Our cruise is due late September and our TA has spoken to Crystal who intimate that as of two days ago, our optimal cancellation date is before 15 June. Since that conversation they have cancelled those June sailings. 
I will be speaking again in June to see if the cancellation options have changed.

I think your assumption is correct. I MHO the European Season will be completely cancelled as I said some time ago.

I also think at some point a supplementary brochure may be produced for 2021.

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Yes - it looks like they are cancelling a month at a time - which allows them to manage the flow of processing credits an refunds - but is a bit tough on those waiting for the cancellation by Crystal to request a refund or gain a 125% FCC - but I can't see that changing going forward unless Crystal find funds become available to fund the process at a greater rate

Looks like whoever is advising you is referring to the Crystal Confidence policy

Details are at https://www.crystalcruises.com.au/corona-virus-health-advisory/crystal-confidence-policy

Basically if you choose to cancel as opposed to Crystal and you do so with more than 90 days notice you are entitled to 100% back in cash less the non refundable deposit component which is outlined on your booking confirmation which will be applied as a FCC (the refund will take up to 90 days from the date you cancel)

Yes is Crystal playing it straight.

Are you playing it straight.........which allows them to manage the flow of processing credits an refunds...….

Nothing to do with conserving cash?

In Maine - yesterday the governor announced no cruise ships this summer and they would revisit future in September.  I think first Crystal cruise which stops in Maine is late September - so if no update until September is would make it difficult for any cruise line to assume Maine (Bar Harbor - principally and Portland) would be open in September and October.   Those 2 are the main months for cruises up here but there are ships here all summer. 

Going to be a difficult year for cruise lines to plan and for passengers to book

8 minutes ago, datolim said:

Yes is Crystal playing it straight.

Are you playing it straight.........which allows them to manage the flow of processing credits an refunds...….

Nothing to do with conserving cash?

You’d have to ask Crystal what their strategy is 

I’m playing it straight - I didn’t state the obvious consequence of spreading out the announcements of the cancellations as most can work that out for themselves - cash flow is definitely impacted if the flow of refunds is managed 

My observation would be that Crystal is handling this in exactly the same way that pretty much every other cruise lines is handling the cancellation and refund process - refunds taking up to 90 days seems to be the norm for cruise lines these days 

7 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

You’d have to ask Crystal what their strategy is 

I’m playing it straight - I didn’t state the obvious consequence of spreading out the announcements of the cancellations as most can work that out for themselves - cash flow is definitely impacted if the flow of refunds is managed 

My observation would be that Crystal is handling this in exactly the same way that pretty much every other cruise lines is handling the cancellation and refund process - refunds taking up to 90 days seems to be the norm for cruise lines these days 

I don't want to belabour this thread as I don't have any money tight up in Crystal.

Others with money in Crystal may want to take it from here.

The 90 day formula - final payment required 90 days before departure; 90 day cancellation window; 90 days for Crystal to process refunds.

Several people posted on the Face Book Crystal Society site about the cancellations.

This time they notified the guests on those bookings and their TA's first which to me is an appropriate way for the communications.  I am sure they will update the website too.

We've had this discussion a few times.  Most of the other luxury lines are taking the same approach.  Advising a month at a time.  Remember the choice is still yours.  You could cancel the cruise and not wait for Crystal to cancel.  Honestly if the cruise was going in June or July would you all go?  As much as I love Crystal and as much as I love travel you will not get me on an airplane over to Europe now, nor in a Hotel nor out and about forgetting just the cruise. So you all can cancel without waiting.  At the same time by avoiding cancelling a cruise in its entirety it allows Crystal to keep assessing the situation and also allows all cancellations to hit the system at the same time.

Keith

20 minutes ago, datolim said:

I don't want to belabour this thread as I don't have any money tight up in Crystal.

Others with money in Crystal may want to take it from here.

I do have money with Crystal that is to be refunded so I’ve got skin on the game and have been watching this

Whilst this thread is new this topic has been discussed many times on various threads over the last month - some will argue the refund process takes 60-90 days while others will say it’s a cash flow management issue that is being pushed out for that reason by Crystal

Who is correct? Who knows? And some might add Who cares? But the net outcome is the same - refunds will take up to 90 days as per Crystals statement. I don’t believe they have yet reached the 90 day deadline for any payments so we just need to wait and see what happens

18 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Remember the choice is still yours.  You could cancel the cruise and not wait for Crystal to cancel.

But to get 100% back you need to give 90 days notice under Crystals policy - so June and July cruises wouldn’t fit in that timeframe now. So if a guest were to initiate a cancelation now some of the fare would be returned as a FCC, which some may not be keen to have sitting with Crystal 

3 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

But to get 100% back you need to give 90 days notice under Crystals policy - so June and July cruises wouldn’t fit in that timeframe now. So if a guest were to initiate a cancelation now some of the fare would be returned as a FCC, which some may not be keen to have sitting with Crystal 

Good point.  I had forgotten about that as I cancelled two cruises before the 90 days but did role some of it to a future cruise.  So I guess people have the choice to cancel now take what they can in a refund and the rest in FCC or wait. 

Keith

I can shed a little light here on one of the factors that hasn't been mentioned because it's been my entire life for the last two months -- force majeure.  The passengers are just a piece of the puzzle in cancelling a voyage, Crystal has all kinds of  contracts for all kinds of services, and also likely insurance implications.  If Crystal can't operate a sailing for specific reasons, the penalty implications in those contracts and policies is different than if Crystal opts to cancel the voyage on their own. 

Unfortunately, those specific conditions have to be met first -- a company can't just cancel in anticipation of what's probably going to happen.  Individual port closures and travel advisories aren't usually qualifying conditions, but they vary as contract as mentioned in an earier discussion of force majeure in another thread.

To give you an example from an adjacent industry...  All of my clients intended to cancel their June events, but couldn't do it until two days ago when they all -- through no coincidence despite being spread out throughout the country and unaffiliated -- received word from their venues and hotels that they wouldn't be available for their June events.  The cancellations had no impact on the money received from guests, it was all about the supplier contracts.  Now my clients have proceeded with the cancellations that they all had to wait for in order to limit liability.  Now the process begins for July .  None of my particular clients intend to operate their July events either, but they can't cancel until they get legal cover for those as well, which in these specific cases they know will come next month.

That said, that's just one of the reasons.  Cash preservation is of course a factor as well, but it's far from the only financial implication.

Vince

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don't know what it was like 5 hours ago, but now the home page banner shows only the April 22 announcement, but when I click on that, the April 29 announcement is both in the list on the left and in the banner on that page.  It may be they posted it but forgot to update the banner on the home page.

4 hours ago, crickette said:

The 90 day formula - final payment required 90 days before departure; 90 day cancellation window; 90 days for Crystal to process refunds.

90 days is the exact number of days that you will have to wait before the refund will be issued to you. Unfortunately, the companies will have to hold on to your money to pay the salaries to the crew and to pay taxes and cover all the docking fees while the ship is not being operated. But everyone, certainly, will receive their money  

The (optimal) cancellation date given to me, by Crystal, is 105 days before the cruise. 
Not that 15 days will make a great deal of difference in the long term 🙄

Today's announcement has new language and new terms for guests who choose 125% credit rather than 100% refund: introducing Future Cruise Payment (FCP)

*Credits may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings along with most other savings offered. Guests who chose the 125% Credit option will be provided a 100% Future Cruise Payment Credit (FCP) coupon and an additional 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) coupon. Each coupon can be used on a single, non-fully paid, future booking or coupons can be combined on a single booking. The Future Cruise Credit (FCC) is not available to incentive groups or guests under charter contracts, not combinable with certain promotions like “Best Available” and “Flex Fares,” it is non-transferable, non-refundable once applied, and cannot be used in lieu of the deposit requirement on your new booking. The 100% Future Cruise Payment Credit (FCP) may be used towards deposit. Third party air, hotel and insurance reimbursements will be based on their individual policies.

Does this mean that the FCP will be applied "below the line," i.e. after the Crystal Society Discount, multi-segment discount, etc.?  If "below the line" it would be insurable, and required to be insured to maintain the insurance company's waiver of pre-existing conditions.

20 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Does this mean that the FCP will be applied "below the line," i.e. after the Crystal Society Discount, multi-segment discount, etc.?  If "below the line" it would be insurable, and required to be insured to maintain the insurance company's waiver of pre-existing conditions.

Interesting question, and one that probably cannot be answered until we start to see the FCCs being used. Normally an FCC is non-commissionable to the TA and is applied in the same way as, for instance, the CS Discount, as a price reduction. In the current situation, all of the cruise lines are "protecting" TA commissions on both the old (cancelled) and new (FCC) bookings, which would mean, and I am speculating, that the FCC would be applied as a payment against the booking rather than as a reduction of the price.