Refund will be forthcoming...

Jared Purdy

Typical of PG to deny refunds and come up with some lame excuse why you are only entitled to a future cruise credit even when THEY cancel the cruise. This is in direct contradiction to their own terms of service but they generally tell you to "marteler du sable" (pound sand).

After they cancelled our cruise last year we argued with them for a couple months before finally resorting to a credit card dispute which promptly refunded our full cruise purchase price. It is such a shame what Ponant's "customer last" policy has done to the PG's reputation and I feel sad for the ship's wonderful crew and staff. It's not their fault but they are the one's suffering the most. Sadly, because of Ponant's attitude I will never sail on any of their ships again.

Given the the current travel bans are lifted by this Fall, my wife and I will once again attempt to celebrate our 50th Anniversary (albeit a year later) in FP, but this time from the comfort of land resorts only which have been MORE than willing to bend over backwards to earn our business, unlike PG.

For those of you still intent on cruising with PG, I'm sure you'll have a marvelous time and I wish you (and your money) well. :) 

25 minutes ago, Supertuscan99 said:

Hi hutch..we would of had a great time on the oct 2020 cruise ...dang...land vacation is great also..get on the lagoon as much as you can and take care..I hope you get there this year ! 🙏🏻

Thanks! So glad you had a great time. It had to be magical. We can't wait for our FP anniversary trip!

Does anyone have a copy of the cruise contract from 2019 (before Ponant bought PGC)??

Or can someone provide the verbiage pertaining to the part if they cancel the cruise?

Edited by dk34

23 minutes ago, dk34 said:

Does anyone have a copy of the cruise contract from 2019 (before Ponant bought PGC)??

Or can someone provide the verbiage pertaining to the part if they cancel the cruise?

9. ITINERARY; COMPANY RIGHT TO CHANGE ITINERARY; DETENTION OF PASSENGER:

b.     [...]    Company may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing or terminate the Ticket/Contract at any time before departure of the Ship, and in such event, Company’s only liability will be to refund to the Passenger the amount it has received for the Ticket/Contract.

(this is what I had on file from my cc dispute. not sure if this is the latest version)

PG's cancellation policy seems really strange to me. Last year when Viking cancelled our spring cruise, we were offered a full refund or a future credit plus 25%. Since we didn't expect the COVID problems to go on this long, we took the future credit. When Holland America cancelled our fall cruise, we were offered a refund or future credit plus 10%. We requested a refund and received it in a couple weeks. 

My husband and I have only taken one previous cruise with PG so we don't have much clout with them. This cruise was supposed to be a 50th birthday for my husband.

I don't have a copy of the T&Cs from when I booked so I can't verify whether it stated that I would get a future cruise credit for a cancellation, regardless of whether I canceled or them. Also, I was very stupid with my payments. I didn't want to have a large final payment due so I have been paying a little each month. I realize now I should have put the money in a savings account and waited until final payment was due to send it to PG. Now they have about 80% of the cruise price, not just the deposit amount, and said none of it is refundable. I can only have it as a future cruise credit unless a vice president will approve a refund. I am hoping the vice president will be understanding about the situation and refund the full amount I have paid. If not, I would at least like the extra amount I paid refunded. 

On 2/18/2021 at 3:08 PM, Hutchinj said:

9. ITINERARY; COMPANY RIGHT TO CHANGE ITINERARY; DETENTION OF PASSENGER:

b.     [...]    Company may for any reason whatsoever cancel any sailing or terminate the Ticket/Contract at any time before departure of the Ship, and in such event, Company’s only liability will be to refund to the Passenger the amount it has received for the Ticket/Contract.

(this is what I had on file from my cc dispute. not sure if this is the latest version)

I don't see anything that says the refund will be in cash rather than a Future Cruise Credit. We're still dealing with this with both PG and Viking. Both cruises were cancelled and no cash refund was offered. Having paid for insurance on both cruises (Allianz for PG and Viking's highly touted "cancel for any reason") we found that neither covered their cancellation of our cruise for a pandemic.

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

I don't see anything that says the refund will be in cash rather than a Future Cruise Credit. We're still dealing with this with both PG and Viking. Both cruises were cancelled and no cash refund was offered. Having paid for insurance on both cruises (Allianz for PG and Viking's highly touted "cancel for any reason") we found that neither covered their cancellation of our cruise for a pandemic.

The T&C says PG will 'refund to the passenger the amount it has received.'  If you paid that amount in money [as opposed to FCC or coconuts], it seems to me they need to refund it in the same currency.  

• Like 1

Kyriecat- regarding your comment regarding clout, with 9 prior cruises PG treated us same as you. Resolved through credit card dispute. Feel sympathy for those still out money from Ponant. They have taken a line with exceptional reputation for customer service and crushed it.

• 2 weeks later...

As of 3/4/2021, Tahiti authorities have decided to temporarily suspend travel to French Polynesia including for tourists from all origins until further notice.

PG Cruises has no update to their Travel Advisory - no cruises thru 6/5/2021.

Still hoping that their 6/15 cruise will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to report that I had several credits show up this morning, totalling the full amount I had paid towards my canceled cruise. It took much less time than the 120 days that Gauguin originally told me for a refund.

9 hours ago, dk34 said:

kyriecat,

please tell how you contacted PGC and what did you tell them?

Thanks

dk34 - Was your cruise cancelled by PG? I received an email last month that they cancelled my June 5 cruise. The email only offered two options - transfer booking to either Sept. 24 or Oct. 8 cruise  or receive a future cruise certificate that was only valid for 24 months.

Since I already had a travel commitment for Oct. 7 - 10 to attend my sister-in-law's wedding, neither rebooking option would work and due to uncertainty regarding future travel, I did not want a future cruise certificate either. I called PG (1-800-848-6172) and explained my situation and concerns. I was told that the terms when I booked was to receive a future certificate for a cancellation, regardless of whether the cruise was canceled by me or PG.  I was also told that I could send a refund request in writing, but it would need approved by a VP before they would issue a refund. 

I emailed PG (customerservice@pgcruises.com) on Feb. 17th with my booking number and reasons for requesting a refund instead of rebooking or receiving a future certificate. I got a reply the same day that they had received my request and it would take at least 120 days to evaluate and process. 

Since I had not received any further correspondence from PG, I was not expecting to receive any refund for a few more months. 

• 4 weeks later...

PGC has cancelled our 6/16 cruise AND the following cruises:

·       June 26, 2021

·       July 03, 2021

·       July 10, 2021

·       July 17, 2021

·       July 28, 2021

·       August 07, 2021

·       August 14, 2021

·       August 21, 2021

"... We sincerely apologize that your sailing is no longer available and would like to offer you a Future Cruise Credit for the payment we have on file, plus an additional goodwill gesture of a 20% discount calculated against the payment on file.  This offer is valid for 24 months from the date of your canceled departure.  If you have an existing Future Cruise Credit from a previously canceled sailing, we will extend the validity date of that FCC to be valid for 24 months from your most recently canceled departure."

I will try to get a refund from PGC.

• 3 weeks later...