Are you watching any cruise\travel shows.

dolittle

We are it seems like some channels have more (or maybe I am looking more)and I have come across a few good ones .The Create channel has a good river cruise show with Samantha Brown. It goes along the border of Germany and France was not aware of this cruise it looked great. Please tip me off if I am missing any. B.T.W. the Travel channel tonight has a block of shows ''Ghost Nation'' hey thanks for nothing.

We watch a lot of stuff (have to keep busy somehow) - just watched a “travel show” I recorded a while back - “The Lady Vanishes” - Alfred Hitchcock , circa 1935.  Not really cruise related, but travel based.   We also play a lot of backgammon - getting pretty good at it.  Best of all:  we find we really like each other and find hanging out to be not so bad.

• Like 1

Tons of contents on YouTube. Cruise ship walk throughs and reviews, travel blogs, and vacation videos. Not a bad way to live vicariously through other people’s vacations.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Travel shows appear on all sorts of channels. I have been watching the new Samantha Brown series on PBS channels. Rick Steves in only on PBS, I think. Just watched a travel show on Switzerland on a PBS channel. 

I enjoy watching both shows.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dolittle said:

We are it seems like some channels have more (or maybe I am looking more)and I have come across a few good ones .The Create channel has a good river cruise show with Samantha Brown. It goes along the border of Germany and France was not aware of this cruise it looked great. Please tip me off if I am missing any. B.T.W. the Travel channel tonight has a block of shows ''Ghost Nation'' hey thanks for nothing.

Great thread - thanks!   I definitely want to look up the S. Brown river cruise.   

Yeah, the Travel Channels programming seems not to ever have anything to do with travel.  🤔

There are not many dedicated travel shows around. It would be nice to have a great series, rather than having to search constantly for one-offs -- a documentary covering a single cruise itinerary on a specific ship might appear on one night on one channel; a show about train travel in Switzerland on a different night/different channel....

I also have some issues with many of the travel hosts -- some focus almost exclusively on food (which I like but it is not a main focus of my TRAVEL), some get too much into the political angle to be entertaining (I'm thinking Anthony Bourdain's approach in his last series -- thought provoking, but not necessarily something that would entice me to visit the destinations featured). Samantha Brown does a pretty good job but can be a little bland...  Okay I guess I am picky!

My approach is kind of esoteric, since history for me is a major reason for travel -- I will look for history shows on channels like Smithsonian or Nat Geo that cover places that interest me -- particularly the Roman empire.  Every so often I'll see a new place featured on one of these shows, even if it is a minor focus, and it'll give me the bug to go there and experience it.  That's how I found out about a villa near Vesuvius that I'm still trying to figure out how to access, or the ruined site of Aphrodisias in Turkey, which is spectacular.

9 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

If you have Directv/AT&T...

Channel 387, AWE, A Wealth of Entertainment.  Numerous travel shows including "Dream Cruises".

Sounds good.  Sadly, we don't get that channel.  We have watched a lot of travel shows on Prime too.  Quality is across the board -- a lot of not so good stuff.  

There's been 5 series of Cruising with Jane McDonald on UK TV, where she tries a different ship and line each week- she became famous when she was a singer on Celebrity ships, years ago, which a UK station filmed, and is a natural for delivering these programmes.

I know MicCanberra has watched them in Australia, and they're repeated all the time with the lesser satellite  TV companies.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Anything you've particularly liked and can recommend?

Oh boy, nothing really outstanding that I can recall.  There are a lot of cruise related clips.  One guy had a handful.  Talked about difference between Oceania and Celebrity, things not to do on a cruise ship, etc.   We watched several videos about places in Spain in anticipation of the trip that is likely not to happen now.  Sorry I can't offer anything beyond there are a lot of them.  

I did just start watching a series on Prime called Travels By Narrowboat.  It is about a guy who buys one of those skinny canal boats and leaves the rat race to cruise the UK's canal system.  I'm enjoying it but not exactly action packed.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 7:07 AM, MCC retired said:

I wish that the Travel Channel would return to shows on travel rather than endless Ghost Shows .

So true.  It seems the one place you can count on NOT to have travel shows is The Travel Channel. It's really bizarre. 

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

I did just start watching a series on Prime called Travels By Narrowboat.  It is about a guy who buys one of those skinny canal boats and leaves the rat race to cruise the UK's canal system.  I'm enjoying it but not exactly action packed.  

Look for Great Canal Journeys, where actors Tim West and Prunella Scales, who've always owned a narrow boat, go on canal journeys not just in the UK, but France, India...there's at least 6 series.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, jocap said:

There's been 5 series of Cruising with Jane McDonald on UK TV, where she tries a different ship and line each week- she became famous when she was a singer on Celebrity ships, years ago, which a UK station filmed, and is a natural for delivering these programmes.

I know MicCanberra has watched them in Australia, and they're repeated all the time with the lesser satellite  TV companies.

Have heard of her, wish some channel would pick it up in the U.S.

1 hour ago, jocap said:

Look for Great Canal Journeys, where actors Tim West and Prunella Scales, who've always owned a narrow boat, go on canal journeys not just in the UK, but France, India...there's at least 6 series.

Sounds good I would think Ms. Scales is getting up there in years.

Watch a interesting one a while ago..... it was Slow Tv  ( 3 hours long)

showing a cruise round the north west corner of Australia

The Kimberley Cruise  From Broome to Darwin   on the Coral Explorer

It was very interesting and gave you a real feel for the 7 night cruise  without the cost.

there was also another one about train trip on the Indian Pacific Perth to Sydney ...

which was good too..... since we have done this trip some years ago. 

Cheers Don

19 hours ago, dolittle said:

Sounds good I would think Ms. Scales is getting up there in years.

Yes, they are... unfortunately she has memory loss now, which is explained during the various programmes.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, MCC retired said:

I wish that the Travel Channel would return to shows on travel rather than endless Ghost Shows .

And the History Channel used to be about....gasp...History related stuff.   Plus the ultimate one...MTV used to actually play music at one time. 

I have just finished watching Season 6 of The Cruise on You Tube.   There are 6 episodes about the Majestic Princess on her first visit to  Australia and NZ.   There are 5 previous seasons based on Princess ships to varying destinations.