Trans Tasman Bubble ?

2 hours ago, NumnuT said:

Fly to Fiji & sit on a stunning Fiji Island for 2 weeks, then fly home!

If we all cross everything together it just might happen!

Cheers
Craig

It is unlikely there will be flights to Fiji and the other island countries for some time, possibly not to next year. 

Leigh

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

It is unlikely there will be flights to Fiji and the other island countries for some time, possibly not to next year. 

Leigh

The only flights I can foresee are possible Australia --- New Zealand   but not even those in the near future

Regards

John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

It's possible that the Trans-Tasman Bubble may be extended to the South Pacific countries, including Fiji.  These countries have a difficult decision to make.  The loss of tourism dollars has crippled their economy, but they also want to minimise the risk of CV-19 getting into their countries.

We certainly won't be cruising there this year, but flying may be a possibility later in the year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From The Age, similar timeline to the NZ report linked by Kiwi Kruzer. 

I have the feeling that the travel mag one is a wishlist  as several specs do not align with stated policies.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/travel-group-says-australia-new-zealand-bubble-could-open-in-september-20200527-p54x16.html

On 5/1/2020 at 2:14 PM, MMDown Under said:

Kiwis are lucky they can fly direct from NZ to Gold Coast.  Do you think they will open all state borders first?

Were they will still have to mandatory 14 day quarantine: you are talking about Queensland after all:

https://www.bne.com.au/passenger/passenger-information/covid-19-coronavirus

Advice for arriving International travellers

All travellers arriving into Australia are now required to undertake the mandatory 14-day self-isolation at designated facilities (for example, a hotel).  All travellers arriving at Brisbane Airport's International Terminal will be transported directly to designated facilities after appropriate immigration, customs and enhanced health checks.

There won’t be any bubble until the quarantine is lifted . NZ is the same . A guy was arrested last week as he would not stay in the Hotel allocated to him .

No one is going to go on holiday if they have to spend 14 days locked up before they can enjoy their stay .

In the meantime small businesses go under and thousands of jobs are lost.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

There won’t be any bubble until the quarantine is lifted . NZ is the same . A guy was arrested last week as he would not stay in the Hotel allocated to him .

No one is going to go on holiday if they have to spend 14 days locked up before they can enjoy their stay .

In the meantime small businesses go under and thousands of jobs are lost.

Lots of Kiwis have holiday houses/units on the Coast, where they spend the winter.  They may be prepared to spend 14 days in quarantine, so they can continue to spend the winter on the Coast. 

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Lots of Kiwis have holiday houses/units on the Coast, where they spend the winter.  They may be prepared to spend 14 days in quarantine, so they can continue to spend the winter on the Coast. 

Most head over and rent or lease one , then they can try somewhere different each year without the expense or hassle of upkeep and maintenance .At the moment they would be ensconced in a hotel before heading off .

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Most head over and rent or lease one , then they can try somewhere different each year without the expense or hassle of upkeep and maintenance .At the moment they would be ensconced in a hotel before heading off .

Kiwis used to be the largest group of foreign land owners on the Coast.  The ones I've met lived in resort style units, where they kept their clothes, etc. here, and lived part of the year in NZ, part of the year on the Coast.  

On one of our UK canal holidays we met a NZ couple that owned their own narrowboat. They had been going to the UK during northern summer for the past 7 years, spending 6 months cruising the canals. When we met them they had still not cruised all the canals in UK of which there are over 2000 miles.

34 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

On one of our UK canal holidays we met a NZ couple that owned their own narrowboat. They had been going to the UK during northern summer for the past 7 years, spending 6 months cruising the canals. When we met them they had still not cruised all the canals in UK of which there are over 2000 miles.

David and Sally Abel, who did the Diamond Princess quarantine blog, have just bought a narrowboat.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

David and Sally Abel, who did the Diamond Princess quarantine blog, have just bought a narrowboat.

Colour me green. I want to go back again, as soon as UK is safe enough, and spend some more time canal cruising.

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

It seems Australians are already planning their domestic trips😀

Most popular holiday destinations for Australians during coronavirus outbreak revealed

They all wish 🙏 nothings happening in Qld until our crazy Premier opens our borders!!!! We can’t even get out unless we get “permission” 🙄

That’s what I thought . How can people be holidaying  on the GoldCoast when the borders are closed and Australians themselves can’t get there ?

Is it only the road borders that are closed? Can you fly in from other States ?

56 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Can you fly in from other States ?

There's currently a 14 day quarantine after flying into Queensland.  My daughter's best friend has just finished 2 weeks quarantined in a hotel in Brisbane after flying in from Port Headland (WA).  She starts work at her new job in Gladstone on Sunday.

SA is the same. You can get out ok but have to iso in return. What annoys me most is that our state premier is using statistics from Vic as evidence that the disease is still active. However, he refuses to qualify that half of those cases are from people in quarantine after overseas travel. And of course the tin hit brigade are lapping it up and the Premiers popularity continues to rise. 

We are making a quick trip over to Yorke Peninsula but I'm weary of all the visit SA ads because when we were younger, those were the only trips we could afford with the family so we have pretty much toured the state many times over. This was the time we can afford to travel overseas and interstate and now can't. 

Edited by Pushka

It really feels like the places that have done well at flattening the curve are the ones that have managed to get their population on board with the mitigation measures. In British Columbia we have Dr. Bonnie Henry and she has worked so hard to get and keep the good will of British Columbians. That being said, as we open things up a little there are few things falling through the cracks and people are wondering why they can go for a haircut but they can't get their driver's licence renewed for professional reasons. Why are the vehicle insurance offices closed? Why can't my wife visit her mother who suffered a stroke a month ago and is in hospital. My wife works in health care, she can go to work but she can't visit her mother. Patience is one thing but when the restrictions seem unreasonable people will become less inclined to listen.

7 hours ago, Porky55 said:

nothings happening in Qld until our crazy Premier opens our borders!!!!

I don't see how keeping the virus out of Queensland makes her crazy.

Currently travel restrictions are due to be lifted on 10th July, but they are subject to review each week.

All NSW has to do is keep their numbers down. I don't particularly want to see the borders open just as there is a resurgent spike in Sydney. Let them open up and prove they are handling it before we let them in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

SA is the same. You can get out ok but have to iso in return. What annoys me most is that our state premier is using statistics from Vic as evidence that the disease is still active. However, he refuses to qualify that half of those cases are from people in quarantine after overseas travel. And of course the tin hit brigade are lapping it up and the Premiers popularity continues to rise.

This mornings paper reports a disagreement between SA and Vic health depts.  5 of those returning international travellers who came back positive are lumped in with Victoria's number when in fact they were returning South Australians and did quarantine in Melbourne first.

NSW and Vic are the states taking the people returning from overseas and putting them up in hotels so they are reported in our numbers.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

All NSW has to do is keep their numbers down. I don't particularly want to see the borders open just as there is a resurgent spike in Sydney.

We have had an amazing run in Australia with this virus, thanks to first our PM and then us (the people). Yes, 103 people have lost their lives, but over 400 lost their lives in the bush fires too - all so very sad and my heart goes out to all the families.

But, do you really think that Australia will spike up like the UK or US because the borders open up?? 

Just my personal opinion of course. 🙄

Edited by Porky55

21 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

We have had an amazing run in Australia with this virus, thanks to first our PM and then us (the people)

What I saw was a PM that had to be dragged into action by the Premiers (including NSW). One who preferred to head off to a football game rather than take the virus seriously. Well done Premiers. I will say that once on board he did step up, unlike during the bushfires. It's a great pity that some of his Federal colleagues now think it's OK to take potshots at Premiers who have been doing the heavy lifting.

24 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Yes, 103 people have lost their lives, but over 400 lost their lives in the bush fires too

Bushfires spread, but they are not contagious. Viruses spread exponentially. There is a reason we've only lost 103 so far, and that was the prompt action taken by officials and the responsible attitude of (most) people. It could easily have been 10,000 or more.

The virus has not gone, it's bubbling away in Sydney and Melbourne especially. We've manged to get the epidemic back to the situation in early March, not to last year. It's here and if it's allowed to spread then it will and we've seen how fast it can spread in Italy and the US. As I understand it, the plan now is to test, test, test, and if an outbreak is found, to isolate everyone involved until it goes away. Good plan if it's implemented correctly.

Let NSW prove they've got it under control, then open the borders.