After Symphony...Oasis or Freedom?

Booking our next cruise for spring break 2022. Looking at Oasis vs. Freedom. We just got off of Symphony in February. Is Oasis basically the same ship? How much smaller is Freedom (or how much smaller does it feel?) My family loved Symphony! We have four kids who will be 7-14 at the time. Is Freedom a "disappointment" after Oasis class ships? 

Lots of people will say that Freedom class is their favorite class of ship, and even that Freedom is their favorite ship.  I've sailed Freedom twice and Liberty once and loved both ships.  It wasn't THAT long ago that Freedom Class was the largest cruise ship in the world, so it's not small.  Freedom has many of the bells and whistles....Flowrider, rock climbing wall, ice rink, miniature golf, basketball court, kids areas, etc.  If Freedom was your first cruise ship, you and your family would be thoroughly impressed.

However, nothing compares to Oasis Class (Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony).  The Royal Promenade is much bigger and it's the only class with the neighborhood concept (e.g. Boardwalk and Central Park).  Entertainment is better (Ice show, Broadway theater shows, Aquatheater).  If you enjoyed Symphony, and especially if your kids enjoyed Symphony, I'd go with Oasis.  Oasis and Symphony are basically the same ship...just with some differences in stores/restaurants/shows.  Oasis was recently "amped" so it has many of the same features as Symphony. 

Either way, you can't go wrong.  Cost may be the tiebreaker.  If it's about the same price, it's a no-brainer for me...choose Oasis.  If Freedom is cheaper, you can either save some money or invest that savings into nice excursions, specialty dining, or something else that you might otherwise not do on Oasis.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Funny you should mention price- it is actually cheaper to book Oasis and we get a better cabin for the kids- Central Park balcony on Oasis vs interior on Freedom. Thanks for the feedback- think we book Oasis this time! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HMY624 said:

Funny you should mention price- it is actually cheaper to book Oasis and we get a better cabin for the kids- Central Park balcony on Oasis vs interior on Freedom. Thanks for the feedback- think we book Oasis this time! 

Given that, I would say you are making the right choice. Of course, the S. Caribbean routes are so much less crowded if you like ports. 

We have done all 3 ships. There is nothing like an Oasis class ship - it is the destination. We absolutely loved our last symphony cruise.  However, we opted for the Freedom in February for the ports and weather. Leaving SW Ontario winter, I wanted as warm as I can get! We’ll be doing a beach day or an excursion everyday and viewing the ship as a hotel base more than anything else.  If we were traveling with kids and wanted entertainment and activities on-board, Oasis is the way to go.

4 hours ago, HMY624 said:

Booking our next cruise for spring break 2022. Looking at Oasis vs. Freedom. We just got off of Symphony in February. Is Oasis basically the same ship? How much smaller is Freedom (or how much smaller does it feel?) My family loved Symphony! We have four kids who will be 7-14 at the time. Is Freedom a "disappointment" after Oasis class ships? 

For the kids I would expect a big disappointment, for you not so much. We did a Oasis TA, then A Allure TA, then 7 nights on Oasis.  We then booked a 15 night westbound TA on Independence as we found a great deal. Had second thoughts for the next 6 months thinking Indy would be way too small, Indy is 154000 tons and Symphony is 228000.  Indy has far fewer shows and specialty restaurants.  Once we made final payment I was sure we made a mistake, only reason for Indy was my wife wanted a week in the UK.  Left Southampton on a rainy afternoon. Next day was warm sunny and glasslike crossing the Bay of Biscay.  Next 14 days were fantastic. Never without something to do. Our roll call had things set up for almost every day.  Every night in the DL with a group of friends we made on night one. Still prefer the Oasis class and I am hoping our Allure TA in Oct. is a go. 

Part of me wants to say Oasis, because that is our favorite RCL class... Part of me wants to say Freedom, because the  you will know which class YOU like best.  Many People prefer Freedom.  We find Freedom much more crowded.

For kids, Oasis!  🙂

We have been on Freedom and loved it, but if I had to choose right now, I would go with Oasis or any in that class. Those ships look amazing. I can not wait to get on it some day myself. Freedom is still an awesome ship with plenty to do and we had a great time, you will have fun either way.

Def the Oasis of the Seas- our favorite class- the ships have all of the bells and whistles-  However, if the fare is much lower, the Freedom class is still great.  Consider your budget.  Enjoy

Edited by Cruise a holic