Both ships in Lisbon

Jim Avery

I have managed to squeeze  keeping up with SD into my busy schedule....  Both SD ships are still showing alongside in Lisbon, neither showing a departure or next port.  SD II is alongside at a shipyard but I have not seen her actually in the dry dock.  It will be interesting to see if they both complete dry dock while laying up in Lisbon.  Not really news, just an observation.  Hope all fellow SD fans are doing well.  🍸😎

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I have managed to squeeze  keeping up with SD into my busy schedule....  Both SD ships are still showing alongside in Lisbon, neither showing a departure or next port.  SD II is alongside at a shipyard but I have not seen her actually in the dry dock.  It will be interesting to see if they both complete dry dock while laying up in Lisbon.  Not really news, just an observation.  Hope all fellow SD fans are doing well.  🍸😎

Jim - thanks for starting a new thread.  Hope you and all others in the extended SeaDream family from crew to past regulars are safe, healthy and coping with this uncertain situation.

From what I can tell and glean from whatever tea leaves there are to read, there are no plans for a dry dock for either vessel at this time while each is in Lisbon.  I think the shipyard location for SD2 is just convenient for a long term stay.  There had been “intel chatter” that SD1 would leave the shoreside location where many of us have embarked/disembarked by the train station but so far like you I’ve seen her there since arriving in Lisbon.

The SD website now shows a pause in operations - whatever that means beyond no voyages -  does the pause include shoreside offices too? - until May 15.  As someone else here pointed out in another thread, no voyages show until later in May.  That seems impossible given the air travel restrictions into anywhere in Europe including those not allowing connecting flights to non citizens of hub airport countries.  In short, can’t get there even if anyone of us wanted to go.  While SeaDream posted a Facebook picture of the crew stuck aboard SD2 in Lisbon, there have been no other communications to SD’s many enthusiasts despite every other hotel, airline and restaurant doing multiple helpful emails by now.  Needless to say no refunds either.

All very sad but what can we do about it?  I’m looking out to the Atlantic Ocean from our South Florida condo on a spectacularly beautiful, sunny, mild, low humidity day wishing we could plan a trip.  While typing this I saw the Norwegian Sun “ghost ship” on the horizon slowly sailing north from the Bahamas to Cape Canaveral.  I suspect she will be allowed to refuel and resupply in a few days but not allowed to let crew on or off (assume passengers are long gone).

Thanks, again, Jim for the new thread.  Hope others chime in!  TGIF.  Another virtual HH but with “live” beverages in only a few hours!!!

Chatting with some of the skeleton and furloughed crew on FB, they confirm there are no plans to bring the rest of crew back in the next 2 months.  So they are as confused as the rest of us as to why the upcoming late May and June voyages haven't cancelled yet.  There is no way the yachts could staff up even if the ports were to open, and all  summer Med charters have already cancelled. They also confirmed there is no dry dock planned for the rest of the year.  Checking cruisemapper.com and sure enough both I and II are still both "wet docked" in Lisbon, so the above information would appear to be accurate.

Some other things she mentioned are that no refunds have been paid out since late February, that the entire global sales teams are gone and the club directors didn't get their Q1 payouts. The Miami office stopped paying rent and are locked out by landlord. And that the Owner's other businesses in Norway are getting what little cash flow they can scrape together. She even cited a news story (in Norwegian) that confirmed how grim their liquidity is. Also that there has been a huge spike in credit card companies refunding customers and charging back to SD. 

All these  certainly explain why SD won't pay refunds, instead making crazy offers on future voyages that will never happen. Anyone else confirm any of these or heard anything else?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ExoticDestinations said:

Chatting with some of the skeleton and furloughed crew on FB, they confirm there are no plans to bring the rest of crew back in the next 2 months.  So they are as confused as the rest of us as to why the upcoming late May and June voyages haven't cancelled yet.  There is no way the yachts could staff up even if the ports were to open, and all  summer Med charters have already cancelled. They also confirmed there is no dry dock planned for the rest of the year.  Checking cruisemapper.com and sure enough both I and II are still both "wet docked" in Lisbon, so the above information would appear to be accurate.

Some other things she mentioned are that no refunds have been paid out since late February, that the entire global sales teams are gone and the club directors didn't get their Q1 payouts. The Miami office stopped paying rent and are locked out by landlord. And that the Owner's other businesses in Norway are getting what little cash flow they can scrape together. She even cited a news story (in Norwegian) that confirmed how grim their liquidity is. Also that there has been a huge spike in credit card companies refunding customers and charging back to SD. 

All these  certainly explain why SD won't pay refunds, instead making crazy offers on future voyages that will never happen. Anyone else confirm any of these or heard anything else?

This is really strange because I am not able to locate any newspapers/sources that claim this. I live in Norway and there have been no news on Mr. Brynestad's liquidity. 

And in regards to ports, if you read cruisemapper.com you would see that several French ports are opening, same with Norwegian ports. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/7041-european-ports-beginning-to-open-giving-hope-recovery-amid-coronavirus-crisis

France has opened for travel from EU and Schengen without quarantine. 

If you are out to spread fake news, make sure you can not be caught. 

4 hours ago, Scspartan76 said:

This is really strange because I am not able to locate any newspapers/sources that claim this. I live in Norway and there have been no news on Mr. Brynestad's liquidity. 

And in regards to ports, if you read cruisemapper.com you would see that several French ports are opening, same with Norwegian ports. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/news/7041-european-ports-beginning-to-open-giving-hope-recovery-amid-coronavirus-crisis

Based on what latest intel I could glean after reading the posts above, look for one or both ships to depart Lisbon soon and head home to Norway.

8 hours ago, ExoticDestinations said:

I had a booking that I cancelled in March, well before the 120 days. I was told my refund would arrive in 10-14 days but that never happened. There was no communication from seadream until I emailed them and even then they just sent me an impersonal email saying it would now take 90 days. After making multiple calls and being told someone would call me back, I never did get a return call.  I sent emails to seadream and cc'd some individuals from the executive team and the owner  ( interestingly some of those bounced back as undeliverable ) but never got a reply other than a cut-and-paste standard email from info@seadream.com empathizing and asking for patience but not addressing my specific concerns.  Finally, my credit card company solved the problem for me and I now have my deposit returned.  I know where it won’t be spent.  

Edited by Christi209

4 hours ago, JES4845 said:

Based on what latest intel I could glean after reading the posts above, look for one or both ships to depart Lisbon soon and head home to Norway.

Why should they do that if France is opening up? Port costs are proably higher in Norway.

And that is far away if Europe opens up propper

Marine Traffic indicates that SD1 is enroute to Rotterdam?  I do know of at least one sales director in the US who has been brought back to work this week.  Don’t have any other intel!  Also know Capt Swein is no longer listed on the website....

vandrefalk

1 hour ago, vandrefalk said:

Marine Traffic indicates that SD1 is enroute to Rotterdam?  I do know of at least one sales director in the US who has been brought back to work this week.  Don’t have any other intel!  Also know Capt Swein is no longer listed on the website....

vandrefalk

I’m led to believe that Rotterdam is a fuel/bunkering supply stop en route to Norway.  Not sure what happens to SD2 now.

Edited by JES4845
misspelling

On 5/6/2020 at 2:22 AM, Scspartan76 said:

I was not "spreading fake news".  I was sharing what I heard, then asking what others might have heard.  Please excuse any impression to the contrary. 

Anyway, here is story she was referencing: https://e24.no/naeringsliv/i/g7Aov9/brynestad-har-opplevd-upassende-motstand-fra-gaardeiere-etter-stenging  

And here are some links regarding the published SD1&2 ports of call for the next 30 days (https://seadream.com/voyages/

• Francehttps://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19 -
    • International travel - The borders of the European space (the European Union, the Schengen Area and the United Kingdom) are shut until further notice.
    • Intra-EU travel - French citizens and nationals of the European Union, the Schengen Area and the United Kingdom are authorized, along with their spouse and children, to enter the national territory in order to travel to their homes. Please note that you will need a certificate to travel in France." 
  • Spain, Italy & Greece - https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/ - 
    • Spain: "has closed its land, sea and air borders to non-residents -- originally for 30 days from March 23; now indefinitely."
    • Italy: "The entire country of Italy is in a government mandated lockdown that has been extended indefinitely. No cruises are permitted to visit.
    • Greece: "Bans are in place for all cruise ships and sailboats arriving into Greek ports. The port of Piraeus (Athens) is closed until at least June 1."

13 minutes ago, ExoticDestinations said:

I was not "spreading fake news".  I was sharing what I heard, then asking what others might have heard.  Please excuse any impression to the contrary. 

Anyway, here is story she was referencing: https://e24.no/naeringsliv/i/g7Aov9/brynestad-har-opplevd-upassende-motstand-fra-gaardeiere-etter-stenging  

And here are some links regarding the published SD1&2 ports of call for the next 30 days (https://seadream.com/voyages/

• Francehttps://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19 -
    • International travel - The borders of the European space (the European Union, the Schengen Area and the United Kingdom) are shut until further notice.
    • Intra-EU travel - French citizens and nationals of the European Union, the Schengen Area and the United Kingdom are authorized, along with their spouse and children, to enter the national territory in order to travel to their homes. Please note that you will need a certificate to travel in France." 
  • Spain, Italy & Greece - https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5097/ - 
    • Spain: "has closed its land, sea and air borders to non-residents -- originally for 30 days from March 23; now indefinitely."
    • Italy: "The entire country of Italy is in a government mandated lockdown that has been extended indefinitely. No cruises are permitted to visit.
    • Greece: "Bans are in place for all cruise ships and sailboats arriving into Greek ports. The port of Piraeus (Athens) is closed until at least June 1."

There is nothing in the e24  article saying that he is struggling with finances.  That one is all about how one of his other ventures were closed down due to covid    

This venture is now open again 

Thanks to everyone who has been sharing information here - that is the key, that we share and not question motives please.  This is especially important in the complete absence of any credible information from SeaDream directly - or any information at all - despite many attempts several of us have made to get them to be more forthcoming to SeaDream guests.

For us, the proof is in the absence of a single penny in any refunds to us or others we know who have been waiting patiently.  We were promised them in March and told in writing they would be processed within 10-14 business days.  Crickets since then.  It is now mid-May.  The point is absent a liquidity crunch - which to some extent might be reasonable - there is no excuse.  Instead of being honest if cash is short, we are told incredible things like “the Miami office is closed and we can’t process refunds from Oslo or home ...”.  Rubbish.

The above ( complete lack of communication and refusal to speak with me plus nonsense reasons as to why they could not process my refund before 90 days despite putting in writing that it would be 10-14 days ) is why I let my credit card company deal with it. I now have my refund and will never deal with seadream again ( if they are around) in spite of the wonderful crew and experience we had on-board with them in November .  They were the only company that I had to deal with in this way 

Edited by Christi209

9 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

SD II appears to have moved to anchor in the port of Lisbon.  SD I is northbound off the Portuguese coast with the aforementioned Rotterdam as destination.  FWIW.😎

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=8203438

Is anyone hearing WHY SD1 is heading north?  I am asking my FB connections, but I wish they would just tell us what is happening.  

9 minutes ago, ExoticDestinations said:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=8203438

Is anyone hearing WHY SD1 is heading north?  I am asking my FB connections, but I wish they would just tell us what is happening.  

Rumor/intel suggests owner wants the assets closer to home.  Also attempting to use them for Norwegian cruises with Norwegians and others who can get there, which actually makes some sense given the dismal conditions in the Med.  Probably less expensive in Norway for docking, etc.  Supposition would be added wrinkle easier to get crew home from Norway than other places given SD is a Norwegian company with more connections and options there than elsewhere.

15 hours ago, JES4845 said:

Rumor/intel suggests owner wants the assets closer to home.  Also attempting to use them for Norwegian cruises with Norwegians and others who can get there, which actually makes some sense given the dismal conditions in the Med.  Probably less expensive in Norway for docking, etc.  Supposition would be added wrinkle easier to get crew home from Norway than other places given SD is a Norwegian company with more connections and options there than elsewhere.

Norway has more expensive docking  and flights out of the country are really limited.  And if you check Marinetraffic Sd1 is going to Ålesund, this is not a major airport town.  And far from SD head office

7 hours ago, Scspartan76 said:

Norway has more expensive docking  and flights out of the country are really limited.  And if you check Marinetraffic Sd1 is going to Ålesund, this is not a major airport town.  And far from SD head office

Why do you think SD1 is going to that specific Norwegian port given what you said above?

Assume you would agree taking the ship there is a concession that all or most of the summer Med voyages are not going to occur, despite what SD’s web site says?

Just today we received the unsurprising email that our Alitalia flight for June was cancelled.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:47 AM, JES4845 said:

They just updated their COVID statement to "the end of May" - https://seadream.com/covid-19/

Thanks to everyone who has been sharing information here - that is the key, that we share and not question motives please.  This is especially important in the complete absence of any credible information from SeaDream directly - or any information at all - despite many attempts several of us have made to get them to be more forthcoming to SeaDream guests.

For us, the proof is in the absence of a single penny in any refunds to us or others we know who have been waiting patiently.  We were promised them in March and told in writing they would be processed within 10-14 business days.  Crickets since then.  It is now mid-May.  The point is absent a liquidity crunch - which to some extent might be reasonable - there is no excuse.  Instead of being honest if cash is short, we are told incredible things like “the Miami office is closed and we can’t process refunds from Oslo or home ...”.  Rubbish.

Can anyone verify the Miami office is closed, locked out? I know employees must be working from home, but like closed for good ? Where is Crisis Marketing Help? Geez

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 minutes ago, cburger100 said:

Can anyone verify the Miami office is closed, locked out? I know employees must be working from home, but like closed for good ? Where is Crisis Marketing Help? Geez

Good questions.  I think there are two ways of looking at any “lock out” of the Miami office.  We now live about an hour or so north of Miami.  It is true that the office was likely “closed” temporarily due to the Covid-19 stay at home order from Miami-Dade county.  That may still apply since that county isn’t opening up as quickly as others in Florida, yet anyway.  However, SD staff should have been able to work from home like others.

The separate and more worrisome question I can’t answer is the report from someone else here that SD stopped paying rent and the landlord locked them out.  That same person or another said most staff had been let go in Miami.  We know SD monitors this board because they posted to correct something else many weeks ago, so them posting here or otherwise is in order.

To add to the intrigue, there are reports that the staff now on SD1 heading to Ålesund, Norway (farther north than Oslo) don’t have clothes for that weather.  Big difference between the late spring temps in the Med and Ålesund, where it is a balmy high of 42 F today (lows in the 30s)!

Good questions.  I think there are two ways of looking at any “lock out” of the Miami office.  We now live about an hour or so north of Miami.  It is true that the office was likely “closed” temporarily due to the Covid-19 stay at home order from Miami-Dade county.  That may still apply since that county isn’t opening up as quickly as others in Florida, yet anyway.  However, SD staff should have been able to work from home like others.

The separate and more worrisome question I can’t answer is the report from someone else here that SD stopped paying rent and the landlord locked them out.  That same person or another said most staff had been let go in Miami.  We know SD monitors this board because they posted to correct something else many weeks ago, so them posting here or otherwise is in order.

To add to the intrigue, there are reports that the staff now on SD1 heading to Ålesund, Norway (farther north than Oslo) don’t have clothes for that weather.  Big difference between the late spring temps in the Med and Ålesund, where it is a balmy high of 42 F today (lows in the 30s)!

I hope and pray the staff is being well taken care of $$$, as they have GOT to be missing/worried about their family so far away.