dry dock for Zaandam and Rotterdam

MUD

Prior to shutting down because of covid-19 the Zaandam and Rotterdam were scheduled for short refurbishment in dry dock. I presume these have been concelled. Does anyone know ehat HAL has decided to do?

On 5/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, MUD said:

Prior to shutting down because of covid-19 the Zaandam and Rotterdam were scheduled for short refurbishment in dry dock. I presume these have been concelled. Does anyone know ehat HAL has decided to do?

@MUD

Howdy and welcome back to Cruise Critic! emo22.gif I see it has been a while since you have posted on the message boards.

Thank you for your new thread on the Cruise Blogs & Websites forum. 👍  However, your post is off-topic here. This forum is for members to share their personal travelogue-type cruise-related blogs or websites with their fellow Cruise Critic members. 

To help you out, I have moved your thread to the Holland America Line forum where it will be on-topic.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

On 5/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, MUD said:

It was actually Zaandam (07-20 Apr 2020) and Amsterdam (12-25 May 2020), due for drydock at the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport. So, Zaandam's is already past due and Amsterdam, currently off Tanjung Priok/Jakarta, won't make hers, resulting in both having to be rescheduled. If I knew when, I'd be in Vegas as we speak with the high rollers 😉 Be safe!

1 hour ago, johanc said:

Captain Jonathan says:

The Zaandam is on her way to Rotterdam for lay-up.

So out of service for ???

Out of service on a prolonged layup until HAL decides the time is right to bring her back into full service

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Out of service on a prolonged layup until HAL decides the time is right to bring her back into full service

And, if she has missed her statutory drydocking window, her certificates will have lapsed and she will need to go into dock before restarting operations.  Unless the class societies are giving extensions due to shipyard closures.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3

Thank you Zaandam for a great South America/Antarctica cruise. The Ship and passengers survived the Drake Shake.

They have added Zodiacs to the Maasdam but not sure if they get much use!

Possibly after drydock the Zaandam will do some Zodiac/expedition voyages??

We will stay tuned for developments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gui218 said:

Thank you Zaandam for a great South America/Antarctica cruise. The Ship and passengers survived the Drake Shake.

They have added Zodiacs to the Maasdam but not sure if they get much use!

Possibly after drydock the Zaandam will do some Zodiac/expedition voyages??

We will stay tuned for developments.

We were on the Maasdam last year for 87 days and the zodiacs were very seldom used.  If you want an expedition experience, go on an expedition ship.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, KirkNC said:

I am sure HAL is in a conserving cash mode so unless a dry dock is mandatory, I can’t see them doing one right now.

Both ships are due for 20-year drydockings, which are mandatory.

As the Chief explained on a previous reply, if they missed the scheduled drydocks they require an extension from Class, even to sail without passengers. Before they can return to operations they must drydock for the statutory inspections and maintenance, and certificate renewals.

They can save money on capital project in pax areas, but not the regulatory docking, maintenance and certificate renewal in Deck & Engineering.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Both ships are due for 20-year drydockings, which are mandatory.

As the Chief explained on a previous reply, if they missed the scheduled drydocks they require an extension from Class, even to sail without passengers. Before they can return to operations they must drydock for the statutory inspections and maintenance, and certificate renewals.

They can save money on capital project in pax areas, but not the regulatory docking, maintenance and certificate renewal in Deck & Engineering.

I think in addition most drydock expenses are paid in advance and any materials ordered for making changes are also prepaid.  Question will be when the drydocks are open and operating, as well as getting the ships to them.

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I think in addition most drydock expenses are paid in advance and any materials ordered for making changes are also prepaid.  Question will be when the drydocks are open and operating, as well as getting the ships to them.

Roy

Actually, they're not prepaid.  They will get a quote, based on the specifications the shipowner provides for the jobs to be completed, but many jobs are "time and material" quotes, many are estimated based on the shipyard not knowing exactly what is involved with the job, things like that.  As for hotel refurbishment, this is also not pre-paid, but the contractors will provide an estimate of the job cost, and materials, while pre-planned, are much like everything else in manufacturing these days, it is "just in time" delivery, i.e. the stuff comes rolling in to the yard either when the ship gets there, or during the drydock, and that is one of the major worries is whether everything gets supplied on time.  Payment for materials is upon delivery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Similar to the Chief, our drydockings were not pre-paid, with the exception of the booking fee/deposit. The specifications were issued to shipyards, who provided fixed bids for known work and a labour rate for arisings. Long lead items were often owner supply, as contracts weren't issued far enough in advance.

Getting to drydock has never been an issue, regardless of scheduled or emergency docking, as Flag and/or Class have always issued a temporary certificate or condition of class. Might require some inspections and conditions, but never insurmountable.

We routinely cancel some hotel work, or other non-regulatory work, when the regulatory work scope increases.