SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

2 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I get a flu jab every year (now free), and I suppose they will include some COVID in that? Am waiting for the autumn.

Who knows - last thing I read is they are discussing it and whether we will get it with the flu shot!     Not much use to we people who had the booster almost a year ago and nothing since.      I asked my GP if the under 75's were getting it and she said she had no idea the GP's are totally out of the loop.     All so frustrating.

2 hours ago, mw8811 said:

Not much use to we people who had the booster almost a year ago and nothing since.      I asked my GP if the under 75's were getting it and she said she had no idea the GP's are totally out of the loop.     All so frustrating.

I find that surprising for the UK. Here in Australia if you are over 65yo it has been available for awhile and recently they changed it to over 60yo with certain health conditions were eligible.

Very good comments, sharing and follow-ups regarding shots, vaccines, etc.  Keep it coming!!

From the Miami Herald in the heart of cruise country this morning, they had this headline: Deals, delays and COVID rules: Tips for travelers booking a getaway for summer and fall" with these highlights:If you see a deal you like, take it. It may not last. Whether you’re traveling inside the U.S. or beyond, be prepared for delays. Keep your toothbrush, all medications and a change of essentials in your carry-on luggage. Get to the airport early, and avoid checking luggage if possible. Pay attention to emails from your airline. Some alert you to flight cancellations or changes; others advise how to upload vaccination documents in advance to cut your time in the airport line. Got extra time? Check the deals for giving up your seat.  Foreign citizens who are not U.S. residents are still required to be vaccinated and to test prior to entering the U.S. Consider using a travel agent or booking a tour. If you get delayed or into a jam, the agent or operator is there to help. If you’re booking a cruise, tour or making substantial payments up front, think about travel insurance that covers delays, disruption, medical costs and evacuation. Now-common airline delays can upend plans.

Many good ideas and reminders through this reporting.  Times are not "normal" now and we need to be prepared properly.  

Full story at:

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/article262802283.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 52,918 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hi frantic36 - is that your 3rd jab or your 4th? We have all had our 3rd last autumn, it is only the 75+ people who have been given a 4th jab this spring. The rest of us are probably waiting till this autumn for it.

It is the 4th jab that over 65 have been eligible for since I think April and then in June it changed to over 60 with certain health conditions.

11 hours ago, mw8811 said:

I asked my GP if the under 75's were getting it and she said she had no idea the GP's are totally out of the loop

I have had my 4th jab and expect a 5th one this Fall.  My PCP (Personal Care Physician, a GP doctor) is out of the loop as well.  In private practice, he is not equipped with the ultra cold freezers needed to store the Covid vaccines.  

Continued good comments, sharing and follow-ups regarding shots, vaccines, etc.  Which MD's and medical personnel know what is happening now and will be most important for the future?

From a key trade publication this morning, they had this headline: Leadership styles must be ‘completely reset’ to reflect pandemic lessonswith these highlights:Travel industry leaders must learn from the challenges they faced during the pandemic and 'completely reset' their management approach, according to speakers at the third annual International Women in Travel and Tourism Forum.  Jo Rzymowska, Celebrity Cruises EMEA vice-president and managing director, encouraged leaders to acknowledge the 'non-stop' challenges the industry is facing, and alter their leadership styles to reflect the impact of the pandemic and the period of uncertainty travel businesses are experiencing.   She said: 'We are living with Covid and on top of that we have got the devastating situation in Ukraine, the cost of living crisis and the current air travel chaos, so we are in a situation that is non-stop and we all need to completely reset our leadership styles.'  'When I became a leader, I wasn’t allowed to show vulnerability, but now we are in a better period and we are realising that saying you don’t know the answer to something and showing vulnerability is so important.'  'We are in a turbulent time and people want direction', she said. 'Leaders need to listen to their staff then put a stake in the ground and say ‘this is where we are going’. We have to make decisions when we don’t know what will happen next, and leaders need to take ownership of their business and move forward.' 

Here is more: "Amanda Mason, head of marketing for Roadchef, urged leaders to make time for their teams and listen to what they had to say.
'It is all about listening to people – you must get to know your team and hear their thoughts and feelings', she said. 'If they feel heard at work then that will be reflected in their output.' "

Listening to the customers and staff??  Is that radical and new?

Full story at:

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tour-operators/leadership-styles-must-be-completely-reset-to-reflect-pandemic-lessons

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 44,735 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:03 PM, rkacruiser said:

It is a lesson that needs to be re-learned from time to time in most areas of industry and government.  

Agree above with the great comment by our SW Ohio neighbor.  Listening to customers and staff does need "re-learning"  Sad, but true, many businesses and government folks forget this vital skill.  .  

From the Associated Press/AP newswire this morning, they had this headline: With hospitalizations up, France weighs return to masks with these highlights:Tourism is booming again in France — and so is COVID-19. French officials have “invited” or “recommended” people to go back to using face masks but stopped short of renewing restrictions that would scare visitors away or revive antigovernment protests.  From Paris commuters to tourists on the French Riviera, many people seem to welcome the government’s light touch, while some worry that required prevention measures may be needed.  Virus-related hospitalizations rose quickly in France over the past two weeks, with nearly 1,000 patients with COVID-19 hospitalized per day, according to government data. Infections are also rising across Europe and the United States, but France has an exceptionally high proportion of people in the hospital, according to Our World in Data estimates.  French government spokesperson Olivia Gregoire has said there are no plans to reintroduce national regulations that limit or set conditions for gathering indoors and other activities.

Full story at:

https://apnews.com/article/covid-travel-health-a426ee6ae1109ceff4668020683570ac

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,401 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Thanks 1

From the Washington Post late this past week, they had this headline: Remember those travel fees that were paused in 2020? They’re back. with these highlights: “When it comes to travel fees, it’s starting to feel like 2019 again.  Airlines, car rental companies and hotels are reinstating old surcharges and adding new ones to your bill as travel returns to pre-pandemic levels. You can find them everywhere, including your airline ticket. When it comes to airlines, they have seen higher surcharges, fewer offers of free checked bags and more rigorous enforcement of carry-on sizes at airports. Mandatory resort fees, which many hotels readily waived for guests during the pandemic, are also back. plus an uptick in unexplained hotel surcharges. Additionally, car rental companies are upping their early return fees and refueling charges.”

Here is more: "Why are travel companies doing this? It’s not just because they lost billions during the pandemic when Americans stayed home or took staycations. Their cost of doing business increased. Restaurants had to pay higher wages or face mass resignations. Airlines and hotels had to spend more on sanitation and touchless check-in technology. And now there’s inflation.  Hotels are also getting creative with their new fees. Bob Bacheler stayed at a convention hotel in Orlando recently. After breakfast, his server handed him and his wife a bill with a 10 percent “service fee” on top of an automatic 18 percent gratuity.  Knowing that companies are trying to make up for lost revenue is the first step in avoiding nuisance fees. Many travelers assume incorrectly that airlines and hotels are desperate to have them back and have slashed their prices to get them in the door. That may have been true last summer, and it was definitely true during the summer of 2020. But not now."

How will cruise lines find "creative" ways along this line as being done by the airlines, hotels, etc.?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/06/29/travel-fees-2022/

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,357 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Associated Press/AP newswire this morning, they had this headline: After two pandemic years, a summer travel bounce — and chaos with these highlights: “Summer travel is underway across the globe, but a full recovery from two years of coronavirus could last as long as the pandemic itself. Interviews by The Associated Press in 11 countries this month show that the most passionate travelers are thronging to locales like the French Riviera, Amsterdam and the American Midwest. But even as safety restrictions fall, places like Israel, India and Rome are reporting only fractions of the record-setting tourism of 2019. For them, a full recovery isn't forecast until at least 2024. China, once the world's biggest source of tourists, remains closed per its 'zero-COVID' policy. That's holding down the rebound in many countries.”

Here is more from this interesting, comprehensive reporting around the world: "Despite the roaring return of travelers, challenges and uncertainty cast shadows over the post-pandemic landscape. Full recoveries are generally not expected until at least 2024. Concerns hovered around a long list of issues, including inflation, supply chain problems, rising infection rates and labor shortages.  Before June was over, chaos had come to define travel in the summer of 2022. Airports and airlines that had cut back during the depths of the pandemic s truggled to meet the demand, resulting in cancelled flights, lost baggage and other, assorted nightmares. Spooked tourists booked trips on shorter notice, making it harder for hotels, tour operators and others to plan, industry insiders said.   The Russian invasion of Ukraine, too, added risk to the uneven recovery and contributed to inflation — a factor that could become a major obstacle even as other pandemic pain recedes.  Bangkok's famous backpacker street, Khao San Road, almost deserted last year, is getting up to 5,000 visitors a day — promising numbers but a far cry from the 30,000 daily visitors before the pandemic, according to Ruangwattanakul, the business association president.  Thailand is an instructive look at the struggle to recover, with China a major factor. By 2019, Chinese tourists accounted for a quarter of foreign arrivals in Thailand, but there are no signs that they will return in such numbers."

Full story at:

https://www.postregister.com/features/after-two-pandemic-years-a-summer-travel-bounce-and-chaos/article_0aefecd5-ab04-5bcb-adbd-3d6499301359.html

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,974 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

How will cruise lines find "creative" ways along this line as being done by the airlines, hotels, etc.?

One housekeeping visit a day is included; a second visit, a fee.  The Steward arrives at your table to offer water.  Sparkling or still?  Sparkling would be a extra.  

Like others, I truly disliked these "resort fees" when they first appeared and purposely made reservations at hotels that did not have them.  Be up front!  Charge what the facility needs to charge and, if it exceeds what one wants to pay, let the guest find a facility that better suits their requirements.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

One housekeeping visit a day is included; a second visit, a fee.  The Steward arrives at your table to offer water.  Sparkling or still?  Sparkling would be a extra.  Like others, I truly disliked these "resort fees" when they first appeared and purposely made reservations at hotels that did not have them. Be up front! Charge what the facility needs to charge and, if it exceeds what one wants to pay, let the guest find a facility that better suits their requirements.  

Fun comments and follow-up from our SW Ohio friend.  For upscale lines such as Silversea, it will be harder to tack on such added fees as they have been moving towards and promoting their line being "inclusive".   

From the Wall Street Journal in mid May, they had this interesting headline: Why a Trans-Atlantic Cruise Should Be on Every Traveler’s Bucket List" with this sub-headline: "Cunard still offers regular trans-Atlantic crossings, a rare way to relive the more glamorous days of travel.

Here are some of the story highlights: “If you think you crossed the Atlantic on a ship within the past 50 years, you are probably not wrong. But that was likely a repositioning cruise, designed to get a ship from one cruising ground, say the Caribbean, to another. Or your ship was circumnavigating the globe on a world cruise. Except for Cunard, the venerable Atlantic 'shuttle' ended abruptly in 1974.  I’ve always thought that a crossing should be on everyone’s bucket list. I suspect some people will disagree with me, but I firmly believe that six consecutive days at sea is more glamorous than a simple trip to Istanbul or Bangkok.”

Here is some added, historic background: "Cunard’s ocean-faring days date to 1840, after Canadian-born Samuel Cunard was awarded the first British transatlantic mail contract. RMS (Royal Mail Ship) Britannia sailed from Liverpool to Halifax, Nova Scotia and Boston. Charles Dickens was one of the decade’s earliest passengers.  The original Queen Mary launched in 1936, ferrying countless celebrities across the pond. Other Atlantic greyhounds from Cunard followed, notably Queen Elizabeth (1938). Queen Elizabeth 2 arrived in 1967. The original Queen Mary was the old salty dog though, logging 1,000 crossings before beginning her new life in Long Beach, Calif., in 1971, as a hotel (currently closed). The Queen Mary 2 arrived on the scene in 2004 to take up the route.  Although a behemoth with room for 2,500 passengers, the Queen Mary 2 was still built for speed, with a thicker hull and sharper prow to slice through stormy seas. For Cunard’s first ship in over a decade, the company dipped into the Royal archives again to christen the Queen Anne, slated to set sail in January 2024. Bookings go on sale May 18, for passage on the maiden voyage, a seven-night cruise out of Southampton with an overnight call in Lisbon."

Ready for a long, trans-Atlantic sailing?  We have never done this type of trip.  Traditionally, we have been more focused on the unique itineraries and doing great ports.  And preferring not to have too many sea-days in a row.  But, as we get older, will we want to shift gears and try such a sailing with lots of time "Floating on a Boat"??  Anyone done such a trans-Atlantic sailing on a traditional, larger ship such as Cunard offers?  Pro/con factors to consider?

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-a-transatlantic-cruise-should-be-on-every-travelers-bucket-list-11652378262?mod=hp_user_preferences_pos1#cxrecs_s

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Anyone done such a trans-Atlantic sailing on a traditional, larger ship such as Cunard offers?  Pro/con factors to consider?

Sailed on traditional "crossing" on Queen Elizabeth 2 in 1980 from Bremerhaven-Southampton-New York in Tourist Class.  (My traveling companion was paying more per day than we paid for our just priot cruises on Royal Viking Sky.)  It was a time of labor unrest on the ship and it was less than a Cunard White Star Line experience.  Tea in the Queen's Room provided cracked tea pots and cups, no spoons.  One wash cloth for the two of us from Southampton to New York.  First lunch aboard I ordered Entrecote which was on the menu.  I was served liver; complaining to the Steward, I was told "liver is what Entrecote is"  However, there was an older gentleman who was the Deck Steward for Tourist Class who set up a padded deck chair for me on a windy aft deck, wrapped me with deck blankets.  I asked for a Bloody Mary.  As he was about to serve me, a wind caught his tray and my drink ended up on him.  He apologized.  Left, wearing a clean uniform, and served me my Bloody Mary.  It was a really mixed bag of a sailing.  The difficulties that my traveling companion and I experienced was all due to the labor situation.  We had friends on that sailing in First Class and they were as displeased at times as we were.  

I have sailed several trans-Atlantic crossings since then, but as a cruise guest.  Not as a crossing type of sailing.  

On 7/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, rkacruiser said:

Sailed on traditional "crossing" on Queen Elizabeth 2 in 1980 from Bremerhaven-Southampton-New York in Tourist Class.  (My traveling companion was paying more per day than we paid for our just priot cruises on Royal Viking Sky.)  It was a time of labor unrest on the ship and it was less than a Cunard White Star Line experience.  Tea in the Queen's Room provided cracked tea pots and cups, no spoons. I have sailed several trans-Atlantic crossings since then, but as a cruise guest.  Not as a crossing type of sailing.  

Interesting background, experience and follow-up from our SW Ohio neighbor in doing an earlier trans-Atlantic crossing.  Labor troubles can be challenging for the customers.  

From the Associated Press/AP newswire and MSN News this afternoon, they had this headline: Norwegian Cruise Line to drop requirement for COVID-19 test with these highlights:Norwegian Cruise Line is dropping a requirement that passengers test negative for COVID-19 before sailing unless it is required by local rules.  The company said Wednesday that it will drop the testing requirement Aug. 1 except on ships sailing from places with local testing rules, including in the United States, Canada, Bermuda and Greece.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention requires pre-trip testing for passengers on 94 ships taking part in CDC's voluntary COVID-19 program, including Norwegian ships that sail in the U.S.   Norwegian requires vaccinated passengers in the U.S. to show a negative antigen test for COVID-19 within two days of their trip or a negative PCR test within three days of sailing. Unvaccinated children under 12 are subject to more testing when they board and leave the ship.  Norwegian Cruise Line said it will relax its testing policy in other countries to be in line with other sectors of the travel industry 'as society continues to adapt and return to a state of normalcy.' 

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/norwegian-cruise-line-to-drop-requirement-for-covid-19-test/ar-AAZgZE9

Early 2020 (right before Covid shut-down), many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

Is some more competition coming for luxury cruise line such Silversea, a re-opening Crystal, Seabourn, etc.??  

From MSN News and written by former USA Today travel expert Gene Sloan today, they had this headline: A new luxury cruise line just ordered 2 more ships — and it hasn’t even launched yet with these highlights:Call it the fastest-growing cruise line you’ve never heard of.  Explora Journeys, a new luxury cruise brand under development by the owners of MSC Cruises, on Wednesday ordered two more vessels for delivery in 2027 and 2028, bringing the total number of ships it plans to launch in the next few years to six.  This is despite the fact that the line isn’t yet operating voyages with a single vessel.  The first Explora Journeys ship, to be called Explora I, is scheduled to begin sailing in May of 2023 in the Mediterranean.  Explora said the first ships in the series would be all-suite vessels with 461 rooms. That means they’ll be able to carry 922 passengers at double occupancy. That’s similar in passenger capacity to the upscale ships operated by fast-growing Viking and the soon-to-be-relaunched Crystal Cruises.  Explora Journeys will be competing in the same upscale cruise space as Viking and Crystal as well as luxury lines Seabourn, Silversea Cruises and the forthcoming The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection.  Explora Journeys has said its vessels would offer oceanfront suites, penthouses and residences designed to be 'homes at sea.'   Its first ship will have 10 distinct culinary experiences, 10 indoor and outdoor bars and lounges, four swimming pools, outdoor deck areas with private cabanas, wellness facilities and entertainment.

Are these added options and competition good for us as the consumers?  Keeping prices and service quality better?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/a-new-luxury-cruise-line-just-ordered-2-more-ships-and-it-hasn-t-even-launched-yet/ar-AAZgKpT

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,015 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I think so Terry. Though our TA sent to us a small flyer for Explora. They had an Aegean cruise, which is one of the places I am interested in, but they go to some weird and unknown islands, rather than Delos, Rhodes etc which I would like to see. I am not interested in beaches, swimming, sports etc, and I feel that may have been the Explora emphasis? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I think so Terry. Though our TA sent to us a small flyer for Explora. They had an Aegean cruise, which is one of the places I am interested in, but they go to some weird and unknown islands, rather than Delos, Rhodes etc which I would like to see. I am not interested in beaches, swimming, sports etc, and I feel that may have been the Explora emphasis? 

When Silver Sea was a new cruise line, what attracted Mrs Banjo and myself, were the itineraries that often went to lesser traveled islands along different routes and locations.  On our first SS cruise, (Istanbul to Venice), some of the Greek islands were very small ports.  One of the hi-lites of the cruise was transiting the Corinth Canal, something I don’t think any cruise line does anymore.   I, personally love the idea of some new competitors, let’s see what they come up with and how they influence the Silver Sea experience.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:28 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

Though our TA sent to us a small flyer for Explora. They had an Aegean cruise, which is one of the places I am interested in, but they go to some weird and unknown islands, rather than Delos, Rhodes etc which I would like to see.

Regarding Explore, I did more research on them and in my view, they might be both "REAL" and worth considering.  I found for $8,800, total cost for two of us , including tips, taxes, etc., an "Extended Journey to A Yachtsman's Caribbean" (13 Days) Jan. 19-31, 2024, Bridgetown, Barbados to Bridgetown, Barbados.  This includes stops in: Roseau, Dominica; Castries (St. Lucia); Deshaies, Guadeloupe; Gustavia, Saint Barthélemy; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Spanish Town, British Virgin Islands;  Basseterre, Saint Kitts And Nevis; St. John's, Antigua And Barbuda; Kingstown, Saint Vincent And The Grenadines; before returning  back to Barbados.  This would includes five locations in the Caribbean we have not visited and four places (Barbados, Dominica, St. Barts and San Juan) we loved from our earlier trip in that region.   The other new locations for us seem good, interesting and worth visiting.  Right or wrong?  

On Explora, it will have 461 all-balcony suites with the basic accommodation we would get having 377 square feet. Each stateroom will have floor-to-ceiling windows that open onto a step-out veranda. The crew to passenger ratio on the ship will be 1.25 to 1.
The ship will have four swimming pools, including one with a retractable roof, and more than 27,000-square-feet of outdoor deck space with 64 private cabanas, plus various hot tubs, and a large LED screen for "Movies Under the Stars", etc. The effort is being bankrolled by the Aponte family (Italian-Swiss) that controls MCS shipping (now the world’s largest) and that operates the fast-growing MCS cruises.  These ship will not have a main dining room, but nine different options.  

In talking with one of their experienced staff members and asking many specific questions, it seems that they are progressing well and are aiming to seriously compete with Silversea, Seabourn, etc. Their ships (six now on order) will be a little larger, but focused on being very "personal" in their various on-board offerings, excursion options, etc.  Clearly their owners, being privately-held, do not have to worry about the stock market and quarterly reviews, borrowing money to stay afloat, etc.  

Reactions and questions?  Yes, competition can be good for the consumers!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 244,604 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On 6/29/2022 at 5:14 PM, mw8811 said:

Who knows - last thing I read is they are discussing it and whether we will get it with the flu shot!     Not much use to we people who had the booster almost a year ago and nothing since.      I asked my GP if the under 75's were getting it and she said she had no idea the GP's are totally out of the loop.     All so frustrating.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, frantic36 said:

I find that surprising for the UK. Here in Australia if you are over 65yo it has been available for awhile and recently they changed it to over 60yo with certain health conditions were eligible.

Furthermore, in Australia the 4th vaccination/second booster has just been made available free to anyone over 35.  Mind you, the value of the 4th vax for under 60’s (unless compromised in some way) hasn’t received any formal documentation that I have come across.  I could be wrong and just missed it though.  Nevertheless I will have my 4th before heading to Europe in October.  Plus I would like the requirement for passengers to have a RAT in the passenger lounge area before boarding continue for awhile yet.

• Like 1

Terry,

As per advice from the CDC, as from12 June, 2022 no one is required to show a test result to enter the US although non-US travelers must prove their full vaccination status.

… not sure about that article you quoted above.

Happy and healthy sailing!

From the New York Times Travel Section this weekend, they had this headline:  ‘A One-Hour Layover Is Not Enough Anymore’: A Flight Attendant’s Tips on Surviving Travel Now" with this sub-headline: "In two decades of flying, things have never been as stressful as they are now, a cabin insider says. Here, her tips from 30,000 feet for avoiding airline chaos this summer.

Here are some of her suggestions/highlights: “The pandemic has changed flying more than any event I have experienced in my career. If 9/11 changed how we board planes and enter airports, Covid-19 changed the experience on the airplane all together. It created a strain and made everyone nervous.  Historically, summer is always a challenging time to fly, but this summer is much worse. There have been thousands of cancellations and delays each week, and there doesn’t seem to be any relief in sight. If you are going on a cruise, leave the day before. Count it as part of your vacation. Stay in a hotel in a new city and explore. The first flights of the day rarely cancel. Thunderstorms build as the day gets warmer, flight crews reach their duty limits later in the day and traffic builds at busy airports. Yes, that might mean a 3 a.m. alarm, but if your early flight does happen to cancel, there will be more options to rebook a different flight.”

Here are more of her experienced insights: "Flights are full. If you buy the cheapest seats you may not be able to sit with your family. It says so when you purchase your ticket. Flight attendants aren’t there to rearrange the whole plane just so you can sit together because you tried to save money on a third party website. Don’t be “that guy.” Don’t hold up boarding because you have your extenders open till they are bursting and you can’t figure out how to make your bag fit in the overhead.  Here is a flight attendant secret: We sometimes keep the airplane cold intentionally. For people who struggle with airsickness, heat makes it worse. We don’t want anyone to use those sick sacks. Download the app of the airline you are flying.  These apps have valuable information. They will keep you from having to wait in impossibly long lines or to try and get someone on the phone if things go wrong."

Good ideas and background?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/08/travel/travel-tips-flight-attendant.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 237,870 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Thanks 3

". . . .If you are going on a cruise, leave the day before. Count it as part of your vacation. Stay in a hotel in a new city and explore.. . . "

The day before ??? Seriously???  Was this written in 2018?

Maybe for those living in the risk-taking fast lane one day before is enough, but since Covid, two or three days before is what I consider reasonably safe for a cruise that is either very expensive, or you really care about not missing (or both) to allow time for rebooking if there is a short-notice cancellation, weather, mechanical, or "unexpected staff shortage." 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 8:01 PM, Catlover54 said:

The day before ??? Seriously???  Was this written in 2018?

Maybe for those living in the risk-taking fast lane one day before is enough, but since Covid, two or three days before is what I consider reasonably safe for a cruise that is either very expensive, or you really care about not missing (or both) to allow time for rebooking if there is a short-notice cancellation, weather, mechanical, or "unexpected staff shortage." 

Agree with the comments above that most of us, more experienced travelers, have long understood the value and need to get to your cruise departure port a day or days ahead of the departure time.  BUT, there are many, many others who do not fully appreciate that need.  Some have legitimate time limitations/pressures, etc.  Others are just not as well-traveled, nor fully experienced.  That timing point is especially important now to push as the airlines are not able to be fully staffed in a period of rapid, rising demand to resume traveling/exploring.    

From the Washington Post as a top, lead story this morning, they had this headline: As the BA.5 variant spreads, the risk of coronavirus reinfection grows.

Here are some of their key reporting highlights: “America has decided the pandemic is over. The coronavirus has other ideas. The latest omicron offshoot, BA.5, has quickly become dominant in the United States, and thanks to its elusiveness when encountering the human immune system, is driving a wave of cases across the country. The size of that wave is unclear because most people are testing at home or not testing at all. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the past week has reported a little more than 100,000 new cases a day on average. But infectious-disease experts know that wildly underestimates the true number, which may be as many as a million, said Eric Topol, a professor at Scripps Research who closely tracks pandemic trends. Antibodies from vaccines and previous coronavirus infections offer limited protection against BA.5, leading Topol to call it 'the worst version of the virus that we’ve seen.' ”

Also shared as a summary from this report: "There is widespread agreement among infectious-disease experts that this remains a dangerous virus that causes illnesses of unpredictable severity — and they say the country is not doing enough to limit transmission. Restrictions and mandates are long gone. Air travel is nearly back to pre-pandemic levels. Political leaders aren’t talking about the virus — it’s virtually a nonissue on the campaign trail. Most people are done with masking, social distancing and the pandemic generally. They’re taking their chances with the virus.  'It’s the Wild West out there,' said Ziyad Al-Aly, an epidemiologist at Washington University in St. Louis. 'There are no public health measures at all. We’re in a very peculiar spot, where the risk is vivid and it’s out there, but we’ve let our guard down and we’ve chosen, deliberately, to expose ourselves and make ourselves more vulnerable.' "

Is this discouraging and scary?  Or, just being realistic as to the "New Normal"?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/07/10/omicron-variant-ba5-covid-reinfection/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 96,840 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Thanks 1