SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

5 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Hi Observer.  No we were not charged for any of the arrangements to return home.  I've heard nothing about who paid what.  Getting all of the passengers and crew home from various ports? As Ricky Ricardo would have said "ay-ya-yai."  

Thanks.  It is reassuring (but to me not surprising) that SS apparently came through in this situation.  I think that one sees the true mettle of a person or organization in times of crisis.  I hope SS (and its passengers) experience no such tests in the near future.  🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

This call makes absolutely no sense to me, other than she is an industry analyst and has to say something.  Why anyone would buy the equity with absolutely no protection after the magnitude of leverage these companies have put on is beyond me.    IMHO, one can wait at least a couple of years before purchasing cruise line equity for outsized capital gains.

Personally, I am not a stock market "gambler"!!   Have not and will not be buying any cruise ship stocks. BUT, it is interesting to watch and monitor. Just having one analyst with Barclay Bank does not make that single opinion the ultimate fact and reality.  What does it actually mean as to exactly when a cruise re-opening will be happening??? Nobody knows for certain, but many on Wall Street are speculating, guessing and betting money that these dates are getting closer. Maybe? If and if??

From the Wall Street Journal charts for the three major cruise lines, you can see the big, BIG jump-ups in values on Friday. WOW!! Up from nearly 8% for Royal Caribbean to near 14% for NCLH. Carnival was up nearly 10% yesterday.  BUT, how long will this upswing last?  Much depends during the coming weeks as to what the CDC does or does not do as to allowing any type of re-opening for the cruise lines.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

As folks consider future bookings and especially for payments, below is a good "learning experience" for how such finances are being handled.  Are you making your cruise and travel parents directly to the provider, such as the cruise line?  Or, is your money being taken by some type of travel "agency" and/or web firm??  Why is that little "detail" so very important to consider carefully? 

From the Palm Beach Post and the USA Today news network, they had this headline: “Coronavirus has exposed a secret underbelly of the travel business: Ponzi-style schemes to pay bookings” with these highlights: “Leigh Anne Belcher and her daughter  got a call to stop by the front desk about a billing question. Their travel agency, swamped with coronavirus cancellations, had abruptly closed its doors and disconnected its phone lines – and refused to pay the hotel for the room even though Belcher had paid the agency in full for the trip.  On the spot, Belcher had to come up with thousands of dollars to pay the upscale hotel, which threatened to call authorities and advised the front-gate attendants to make sure no one escaped without paying. When she and her daughter tried to head home to Lexington, Kentucky, they had to shell out more money; their flight had been canceled, and the airline wouldn’t allow them to change it since it, too, was booked by Florida’s BookIt.com.  The coronavirus has exposed a secret underbelly of the travel business. Many travel agencies operate Ponzi-style schemes in which one traveler's deposit pays for a previous traveler's tickets and accommodations, and so on. Everything ran smoothly as long as bookings continued to roll in.”

When we worked with our TA for cruise payments, we gave her our credit card number and she made the payment direct to the cruise lines, etc.  No payments into any TA firm's accounts. How do others handle their payments??  Buyer beware!!  Clearly how a TA or web travel firm handles these types of details can make a huge, BIG difference if you need to get into a battles to re-gain your payments.  

Full story at:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/investigations/2020/09/24/coronavirus-travel-refund-battles-expose-deposit-shell-game/5866489002/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,151 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1

Not optimistic for an early return to normality as here in the UK many more restrictions on movement brought in today which in total affect directly 18 million people approximately 30% of the population.We are told more are likely to be added to current restrictions which apply to March 2021.Feel sorry for the Silversea Manager responsible for putting itineraries together around the World with all the differing situations applying throughout all the countries involved.!!

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

When we worked with our TA for cruise payments, we gave her our credit card number and she made the payment direct to the cruise lines, etc.  No payments into any TA firm's accounts. How do others handle their payments??  Buyer beware!!  Clearly how a TA or web travel firm handles these types of details can make a huge, BIG difference if you need to get into a battles to re-gain your payments.  

We have not and will not book with a TA that processes our payments through their own accounts and later pays the cruise line.   For the past eight years we’ve been using the same agency and agent who is pretty well known to Silversea cruisers.   They provide our credit card number to the cruise line and it’s the cruise line who charges the card not the agency.   As I said, it is the only way we’d deal with an agency or agent.   

5 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

We have not and will not book with a TA that processes our payments through their own accounts and later pays the cruise line.

If for no other reason I want all the points that my Chase Sapphire Reserve card racks up on travel purchases.

On 9/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, Observer said:

Thanks.  It is reassuring (but to me not surprising) that SS apparently came through in this situation.  I think that one sees the true mettle of a person or organization in times of crisis.  I hope SS (and its passengers) experience no such tests in the near future.  🙂

Silversea clearly went "above and beyond" when they were forced to cancel the remainder of the Silver Shadow sailing earlier this year after the COVID crisis began and two on the sailing were infected. 

However, I do question whether that treatment by Silversea will at all translate to assisting passengers who are denied boarding after cruising resumes?  I do note a few differences that cause me to be less than confident that Silversea will provide much, if anything, in the way of assistance to those passengers;

• The Silver Shadow situation received a significant amount of worldwide media coverage due to the COVID cases onboard.  Therefore, those circumstances presented a public relations opportunity for Silversea that was likely to receive favorable media coverage.  Cases where a number of individuals on each cruise may be denied boarding when cruising resumes will not present such an opportunity. 
  • Their handling of refunds to passengers whose booking is canceled (whether by Silversea or the passenger) has been less than excellent and really no different than any other cruise line (Crystal being the noted exception).  Considering that nearly seven months later refunds are still being delayed indicates that Silversea has not made this a priority.
  • Silversea widely promoted its Cruise with Confidence policy (B. Muckermann called it a "promotion") beginning in early April to induce passengers to book cruises and provide an influx of cash.  Just over ten days ago, Silversea reduced the FCC offer for those whose cruises it cancelled and applied it retroactively, refusing to honor the terms in effect when the passenger booked the sailing.
  • If you read the RCCL Healthy Sail Panel recommendations (which were admittedly deferential to RCCL and its subsidiaries), very few of them impose much in the way of financial burden on the cruise lines.  Look particularly at the sections relating to indoor air quality and ventilation.  Additionally and significantly, the panel takes the position that all who are confirmed to have COVID, all who are suspected of having COVID or of having close contact with someone with COVID, and all members of a party associated with such persons be denied boarding and that no refund, credit or compensation of any type be provided to those persons denied boarding.

In short, other than the manner in which Silversea repatriated those on the Silver Shadow, I have seen nothing at all exceptional in how Silversea has handled themselves during this COVID situation and nothing at all exceptional being proposed as to how Silversea will conduct themselves when sailing resumes.  In the nearly seven months since this began, Silversea could have chosen to retrain current employees to handle refunds or even hire new staff to process refunds.  They have not.  Silversea could have honored the terms of the Cruise with Confidence policy for those who booked in reliance upon those conditions, but instead of applying changes to the program only to future bookings, they chose to apply it retroactively.  Silversea could have announced that passengers denied boarding, as recommended by the Healthy Sail panel or the conditions imposed by the CDC when cruising resumes, would receive assistance in arranging temporary lodging and transport home as well as future cruise credit, however, the RCCL panel instead announced that such passengers would receive no refund, credit or compensation of any type.

Call me a cynic or skeptic, but the actions I have seen and their plans for the future appear no different than what any other cruise line is doing.  Nothing exceptional and nothing that indicates that Silversea is a luxury cruise line worthy of our trust and business.

Edited by alexandria
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I am sorry that no-one from SS appears to read these boards - it would be nice to have their response to the above. 

My strong guess is that there is a person or two from Silversea who keeps an eye on these CC Boards.  BUT, very seldom, if ever, does someone from SS and/or the other cruise lines officially respond on these posting sites.  Why not?  Such "discussions" can get tangled and challenged!!  While some boards and threads can have very balanced and reasonable sharing, there are times when such "communications" can take fairly negative tones and twists.  In these days, social media is not always calm, clear, rational and focused.  

Very good legal details and follow-ups from alexandria on many important issues.  Great postings and helpful background.  This thread is now over 40,000 views.  Appreciate all of the interest, solid comments, excellent questions and great sharing.  Keep it coming!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,500 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I am sorry that no-one from SS appears to read these boards - it would be nice to have their response to the above. 

When I recently canceled our '21 Galapagos cruise I gave my SS agent links to this board and also "Ask a Cruise Question," saying that there are specific and general issues. I wonder if anyone will read. There's a solid thread IMO.

1 minute ago, TLCOhio said:

My strong guess is that there is a person or two from Silversea who keeps an eye on these CC Boards.  BUT, very seldom, if ever, does someone from SS and/or the other cruise lines officially respond on these posting sites.  Why not?  Such "discussions" can get tangled and challenged!!  While some boards and threads can have very balanced and reasonable sharing, there are times when such "communications" can take fairly negative tones and twists.  In these days, social media is not always calm, clear, rational and focused.  

Very good legal details and follow-ups from alexandria on many important issues.  Great postings and helpful background.  This thread is now over 40,000 views.  Appreciate all of the interest, solid comments, excellent questions and great sharing.  Keep it coming!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,500 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I too don’t remember any Silversea management posting here.  Not saying it hasn’t happened but I don’t recall anything recently and even if in the past it’s not been frequent.  Silversea does monitor FaceBook and has actually stepped in and helped posters with issues.   

And how reliable are the tests when 12 tested positive in the tests conducted prior to the cruise departure but 6 of them tested negative aboard the ship. I'm guessing the former were the molecular or PCR tests and the latter were the quick antigen tests. So if you test positive with he more reliable PCR test and then test negative with the antigen test, can we trust that those people are truly virus free? This just seems to illustrate that even testing does not give us the safety assurances we'd like to believe will exist as cruising resumes. 😞

• Like 1

There's a 'live from' Miaminice, who is aboard this cruise, on the Celebrity thread.

The crew members tested positive in a lab in Heraklion, and negative with the ship's own test - which Miaminice said was PCR but that might be an assumption.

The crew are isolated and will be retested in Piraeus.

The modified cruise is continuing.

The outcome of this will be interesting - when cruising restarts more widely there are bound to be outbreaks of Covid - it's how they're handled that matters. There's no doubt that improvements in the technology of testing to improve accuracy and speed will be vital.

On 9/27/2020 at 4:00 PM, Randyk47 said:

I too don’t remember any Silversea management posting here.  Not saying it hasn’t happened but I don’t recall anything recently and even if in the past it’s not been frequent.  Silversea does monitor FaceBook and has actually stepped in and helped posters with issues.   

They did a couple of years ago but the thread got hijacked by someone which is a great pity as there certainly was some useful exchanges and information passed over. Since then, they do no doubt still read, but that put pay to future participation unfortunately.

The question being raised here in respect of being refused boarding, being on the ship now in quarantine, hospitalisation and getting home in the event of changes are all very important unanswered questions that really do need an answer. I guess partly, it remains an unknown, but given the consequences faced and being expected to hold the faith and keep booking, this really needs a solid answer. Speak to your travel insurer, is not a valid response.

3 hours ago, les37b said:

They did a couple of years ago but the thread got hijacked by someone which is a great pity as there certainly was some useful exchanges and information passed over. Since then, they do no doubt still read, but that put pay to future participation unfortunately.

The question being raised here in respect of being refused boarding, being on the ship now in quarantine, hospitalisation and getting home in the event of changes are all very important unanswered questions that really do need an answer. I guess partly, it remains an unknown, but given the consequences faced and being expected to hold the faith and keep booking, this really needs a solid answer. Speak to your travel insurer, is not a valid response.

If you read the Healthy Sail Panel report (which itself states it relied upon the cruise line representatives regarding operations and other "unique considerations of cruise travel"), the panel specifically referenced the passage contract provisions when discussing denied boarding, stating, "The Cruise Ticket Contract is a customary part of the guest experience. In reviewing and agreeing to the terms of the contract, guests are agreeing to various terms and conditions of the cruise experience, including an understanding of the cruise operator’s policy for denial of boarding..."  I believe that report gives us a "preview" of how Silversea intends to proceed (subject to CDC approval) when cruising resumes.

While it appears unlikely, it is possible that between now and the resumption of cruising Silversea could adopt and publish an amendment to the terms and conditions of the passage contract concerning denied boarding to provide relief to passengers denied boarding.  Until then, however, realize that those terms and conditions are in effect and binding upon booking and any payment towards a cruise.  (PASSENGER ACKNOWLEDGES AND UNDERSTANDS THAT HE/SHE IS REQUIRED TO READ THIS TICKET IN ITS ENTIRETY PRIOR TO MAKING ANY PAYMENT FOR THE CRUISE BOOKING. THE BOOKING AND ANY PAYMENT MADE TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A CRUISE WITH THIS CARRIER CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE BY PASSENGER OF ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, AS IT MAY BE AMENDED OR MODIFIED REGARDLESS OF WHETHER PASSENGER EMBARKED THE VESSEL.) (Bold, all caps and underlining is from Silversea, not mine),

As to denied boarding or disembarkation for medical reasons, the passage contract provides in pertinent part "Carrier shall not be required to refund any portion of the cruise fare paid by any Passenger who may be denied boarding or who must leave the Vessel before the end of the Voyage for medical reasons, nor shall Carrier be responsible for the lodging, food, return transportation or other expenses incurred by said Passenger in connection with such premature departure."  There are several other references to denied boarding in both the passage contract and the Silversea terms and conditions, most of which read essentially "Carrier shall not be liable to any Passenger for any refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind for such denial of boarding or disembarkation."

So unless Silversea amends the passage contract, there is no question as to what happens in cases of denied boarding or early disembarkation.  And given the issues already raised concerning who is subject to denied boarding as well as the issues discussed by several others concerning reliability of COVID testing and the possibility of false positives, now more than ever CAVEAT EMPTOR.

USConsolidatedPassageContract2017.pdf

Edited by alexandria
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alexandria said:

If you read the Healthy Sail Panel report (which itself states it relied upon the cruise line representatives regarding operations and other "unique considerations of cruise travel"), the panel specifically referenced the passage contract provisions when discussing denied boarding, stating, "The Cruise Ticket Contract is a customary part of the guest experience. In reviewing and agreeing to the terms of the contract, guests are agreeing to various terms and conditions of the cruise experience, including an understanding of the cruise operator’s policy for denial of boarding..."  I believe that report gives us a "preview" of how Silversea intends to proceed (subject to CDC approval) when cruising resumes.

While it appears unlikely, it is possible that between now and the resumption of cruising Silversea could adopt and publish an amendment to the terms and conditions of the passage contract concerning denied boarding to provide relief to passengers denied boarding.  Until then, however, realize that those terms and conditions are in effect and binding upon booking and any payment towards a cruise.  (PASSENGER ACKNOWLEDGES AND UNDERSTANDS THAT HE/SHE IS REQUIRED TO READ THIS TICKET IN ITS ENTIRETY PRIOR TO MAKING ANY PAYMENT FOR THE CRUISE BOOKING. THE BOOKING AND ANY PAYMENT MADE TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A CRUISE WITH THIS CARRIER CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE BY PASSENGER OF ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, AS IT MAY BE AMENDED OR MODIFIED REGARDLESS OF WHETHER PASSENGER EMBARKED THE VESSEL.) (Bold, all caps and underlining is from Silversea, not mine),

As to denied boarding or disembarkation for medical reasons, the passage contract provides in pertinent part "Carrier shall not be required to refund any portion of the cruise fare paid by any Passenger who may be denied boarding or who must leave the Vessel before the end of the Voyage for medical reasons, nor shall Carrier be responsible for the lodging, food, return transportation or other expenses incurred by said Passenger in connection with such premature departure."  There are several other references to denied boarding in both the passage contract and the Silversea terms and conditions, most of which read essentially "Carrier shall not be liable to any Passenger for any refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind for such denial of boarding or disembarkation."

So unless Silversea amends the passage contract, there is no question as to what happens in cases of denied boarding or early disembarkation.  And given the issues already raised concerning who is subject to denied boarding as well as the issues discussed by several others concerning reliability of COVID testing and the possibility of false positives, now more than ever CAVEAT EMPTOR.

USConsolidatedPassageContract2017.pdf 341.75 kB · 0 downloads

And isn't that just highlighting the issue! If you accept a FCC you cant get a refund. The amount now being offered has decreased to levels that it really isn't worth taking a gamble of using that option and even if you did and got lucky enough to sail, you could end up stranded somewhere, on your own and at your expense.

Most unfair if it is the case. I know we can all sympathise with the plight of all airlines, cruise lines and anyone in the travel industry, but paying over £000s in the hope you can sail is one thing, but these trap doors are not worth the gamble if it is the way its going to be handled.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, les37b said:

.... the thread got hijacked by someone which is a great pity ....

les37b:  Please excuse a modest hijacking.  I do not know any other way of contacting you.

I believe you posted on YouTube a wonderful long walk-through of the stretched/renovated Spirit in Greenwich.  I know I am not the only person to have turned to that video during the pandemic to refresh memories of Silversea and one of its great ships.  YouTube has apparently blocked access to that video.  Probably something to do with the soundtrack.  

I thought I would call this to your attention in the hope that you might be able to remedy the situation.

In any case, thanks for a wonderful video and apologies for this brief hijack. 

42 minutes ago, Observer said:

les37b:  Please excuse a modest hijacking.  I do not know any other way of contacting you.

I believe you posted on YouTube a wonderful long walk-through of the stretched/renovated Spirit in Greenwich.  I know I am not the only person to have turned to that video during the pandemic to refresh memories of Silversea and one of its great ships.  YouTube has apparently blocked access to that video.  Probably something to do with the soundtrack.  

I thought I would call this to your attention in the hope that you might be able to remedy the situation.

In any case, thanks for a wonderful video and apologies for this brief hijack. 

Many thanks for letting me know. Happens every now and then. It is allowed and disputes can be raised. Takes 30 days to come back though unfortunately. I really should save myself all the hassle and simply replace the soundtracks and be done with it... (Makes note to put some time aside!) I think there was about 6 or 7 that weren't visible. I can still see them all, which kinda makes it less obvious.

Email address you can use if ever you need to contact is silversea@mail.co.uk    

9 minutes ago, les37b said:

Many thanks for letting me know. Happens every now and then. It is allowed and disputes can be raised. Takes 30 days to come back though unfortunately. I really should save myself all the hassle and simply replace the soundtracks and be done with it... (Makes note to put some time aside!) I think there was about 6 or 7 that weren't visible. I can still see them all, which kinda makes it less obvious.

Email address you can use if ever you need to contact is silversea@mail.co.uk    

Many thanks.  End of hijack.  🙂

1 hour ago, Bucephalus53 said:

I will never sail, with any carrier, that has that wording in it's Terms and Conditions. 

My friend, I am sorry to say this but apparently all the companies, all over the world will have this particular wording. You really need to be taking care of yourself first and not rely on anyone else... even if you have paid money for it. Its sad but its true  

28 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

My friend, I am sorry to say this but apparently all the companies, all over the world will have this particular wording. You really need to be taking care of yourself first and not rely on anyone else... even if you have paid money for it. Its sad but its true  

I hear ya'....but I've never been worried about being denied entry for a fever or positive test and left on the docks in a foreign country until now. 

53 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Great posting and legal details from eagle-eyed alexandria in Georgia.   Plus, all of the other comments, questions, etc. Of special interest to me was this key cruise contract section:  

"THE BOOKING AND ANY PAYMENT MADE TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF A CRUISE WITH THIS CARRIER CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE BY PASSENGER OF ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS PASSAGE CONTRACT, AS IT MAY BE AMENDED OR MODIFIED REGARDLESS OF WHETHER PASSENGER EMBARKED THE VESSEL."

I have given a special highlight to this one aspect for "contract as it may be amended or modified".  While I am not an attorney, I have done much over the years in the legal fields and have worked with a wide range of Judges, lawyers, etc.  My guess/speculation is that by using this type of wording, then that the cruise lines are saying that they can "amend or modify" this supposed "contract" whenever and however they decide and choose.  AND, therefore we are stuck with it.  Am I right or wrong?  Missing something?  AND, since the cruise lines are not officially based in the United States, your legal avenue to dispute this type of contract wording becomes highly challenged and mostly only through the complicated task of going to Federal Court in the Southern District of Florida.  

As has been often reported, Federal Courts are very slow (even in the good, normal times) and the cruise line attorneys are always very quick and aggressive to invoke their "powers" to escape most law suits against them  As always, their super-skilled and highly-paid lawyers have constructed carefully-crafted contracts.  Right or wrong?  Am I too cynical and not trusting enough?  Also, the body of previous legal decisions protect the cruise lines against "forum-shopping" and limits which Federal courts have jurisdiction as to such claims.  Also, most lawyers are not as experienced as to "Admiralty law" as to how if affects Federal court jurisdiction over seafaring vessels and their foreign-based owners.

In the "good and normal times", it is easier to be "CONFIDENT" for the cruise lines to do mostly the "right things" and serve us fairly well.  BUT, these days are more challenged!!  "Buyer beware" continues to be a very wise warning.  ALSO, checking very carefully your travel insurance becomes a huge priority.  You should not just assume and hope that you are covered by any travel insurance and/or credit card coverage.

Many excellent questions, concerns, etc.  We are glad that none of our money is now tied up in the hands of the cruise lines.  Cruising and travel will return to some form of "normal".  BUT, how long it takes and which operators survive would be vital parts of the key questions facing us right now.

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 231,077 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Thanks 1